You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > April 2018 - Books Announced

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14604 comments Two clear winners this month: Never Let Me Go (nominated by Clément) and Frankenstein (nominated by Isaura).

Clément and Isaura, are you willing to lead the discussions?

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9197 comments I read them both, so I think I will go with Year of Wonders since I also have it for the ZZ Challenge.

message 3: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14604 comments I'm not sure yet. I'm not so interested in Never Let Me Go. I never read Frankenstein but it's such a classic that I think I maybe should. On the other hand, it's a classic...

If I'm not doing Frankenstein I think I'll also go for Year of Wonders. I also have it as an option for the zodiac challenge. Frankenstein would fit the challenge too though.

I'll see what I'm in the mood for next month.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9197 comments If it is useful in any way, I wanted to read Frankenstein for ever, and finally decided to do it for a buddy read. I didn't love it, and rated it 3 stars, but reading it with other people helped to finally get to it.

message 5: by Eliestal (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments My book was chosen for the first time! I will try my best to lead the discussion! This is new and exciting :)

message 6: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14604 comments Thanks Sandra. I think it's definitely a book for me for which a buddy read would be helpful.

@Clément: haha yes, it's always exciting when your book gets picked!

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12978 comments Haha, I'm sure you will do great, Clément! There was plenty of discussion just in the nomination thread!

message 8: by Eliestal (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments Kristie wrote: "Haha, I'm sure you will do great, Clément! There was plenty of discussion just in the nomination thread!"

Yeah there really was! I am looking forward to it in any case!

message 9: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1623 comments I am really looking forward to the discussion of Never Let Me Go. I have discussed it before in a classroom setting and a casual book group.

I am amused that these two books were chosen.

message 10: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments I'm glad these two books won! I will finally make myself read Frankenstein (probably on audio), and I think the conversations around Never Let Me Go will be interesting. I'm not going to re-read it, but I'll be at least stalking the conversation.

message 11: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18119 comments I'm going to read Frankenstein (finally). Not great with classics but hoping discussing in q group and it being shortish will help. I'm hoping to read the book I nominated too.

message 12: by Isaura (new)

Isaura Fuzinatto I'm so happy my book was picked. I'll finally have an opportunity to read it and I'm so glad I'll be able to lead a discussion, but also really nervous.
It will be a great experience.

message 13: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Sandra wrote: "I read them both, so I think I will go with Year of Wonders since I also have it for the ZZ Challenge."

I may read it too

message 14: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14604 comments Isaura wrote: "I'm so happy my book was picked. I'll finally have an opportunity to read it and I'm so glad I'll be able to lead a discussion, but also really nervous.
It will be a great experience."

I'm sure you'll have fun :) If you need some help to get started, Sarah created a thread with some help on leading a discussion: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 15: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments I'm planning to read Frankenstein. I know there are multiple versions out there. The link this thread uses is to the 1818 edition, which is the original text. Shelly later revised it, but the original sounds better than the revision. Are we all reading the same edition?

message 16: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14604 comments I had no idea Casceil, I just linked to the first book that came up. Might be good to discuss this in the thread once it opens, just in case there are major differences between the versions.

message 17: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3526 comments I'm going to try Frankenstein. About time, I read it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.