Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Do Single Women Seek Attached Men?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/2...

Researchers have debated for years whether men or women are likelier to engage in "mate poaching." Now there's experimental evidence that single women are particularly drawn to other people's partners.

What do you think about that?

message 2: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Aug 13, 2009 10:02AM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I can see that. Single women would understandably be attracted to a man who's demonstrably a good husband, and even a good father. Those are the qualities women want in their own mates.

NOT that I think those women should then try to take those men as their own. And if they do, and they succeed, then they've acquired a man who is lacking in the fidelity department.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Wait. Where do I find these women?

(kidding, kidding...)

message 4: by Heidi (last edited Aug 13, 2009 12:10PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments ...

It's a serious conundrum - once you reach a certain age, the great ones are either married, gay, or damaged. So then, if you're like me, you start to accept the possibility that you may stay single for life.

For some stupid reason, it seems like I'm everyone's "love you. You're like a sister to me." :-\

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yeah, my best friend has tried eHarmony, and wound up with a lot of very strange dates. Guys with serious issues...

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I've often told my single women friends I would set them up with my single male friends, but I don't think my single male friends are good enough for them.

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Heidi wrote: "...

It's a serious conundrum - once you reach a certain age, the great ones are either married, gay, or damaged. So then, if you're like me, you start to accept the possibility that you may sta..."

i think i am 2 out of 3 which is like batting .666 and that is a whole 'nother convo

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) hmmmm ... which two?

message 9: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Would someone please translate the guy language meaning of "like a sister to me" so I can figure out what to do to fix that?!!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments They're so comfortable around you, Heidi, that they don't bother to really look at you and see how cute you are.

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I think that may be accurate.

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Maybe you should sit on their laps and play with their hair. They might not think you're a sister then.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments that means something different to Angelina Jolie and her brother i think

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments or take off your clothes and dance on a table at an amish restaurant and see how they feel about their sister doing that

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Is Heidi Amish? I could see her as Amish.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments ARE there Amish restaurants? Is everything cooked over a wood stove? Are they lit by lantern?

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yes, i don't know and maybe.

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments but they put a great feed on and they have valet buggy parking usually

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) There are Pennsylvania Dutch restaurants that are derived from Amish culture. I remember one called Yoders, where the food wasn't very good -- but they give you a lot of it.

http://www.yodersrestaurant.com/about...

message 20: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Being "poached" doesn't sound so appealing.

message 21: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I ate at an Amish restaurant once in Michigan. It was good...don't remember what I had, though.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Something plain?

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Plain and bland, Jackie.

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments we have one near here called the Amish Cafe. everything taste like a sunday afternoon meal and there are like 7 grandma's cooking. multiple gravies, bread pudding and forks that look like you could do garden work with them. if it weren't for the fact they don't have internet, lite-brite's or chain saws i could be amish

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I had no idea Lite-Brites were essential to your world, Kevin. But yeah, they made my life a little more fun, back in the day...
I can still remember the jingle!

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I remember my daughters' lite-brites crunching under my feet on the basement floor.

message 27: by Heidi (last edited Aug 13, 2009 01:08PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "I've often told my single women friends I would set them up with my single male friends, but I don't think my single male friends are good enough for them."

Waaaait a minute... you've told me this before.

I'm not Amish, btw. I was raised Catholic, though.

I love lite brites. I especially like the lite brites with the elaborate pictures.

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm not Amish, btw. I was raised Catholic, though.

That's not even close to being the same.

message 29: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I know. I answered as such purposefully.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments You know, there's all these movies about women making themselves over into hotties. It seems to me that it's not the WOMEN who need makeovers. It's the single MEN.
You know, lessons on proper small talk, grooming and fashion help, and maybe some therapy...
I wonder if that could be done through some sort of online service. eGuyMakeover?

message 31: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments queer eye for the straight guy?

message 32: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments not sure where the lite brite thought came from but funny that it clicked with everyone immediately. haven't thought about them in years

message 33: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) For some reason lite-brite reminds me of Larry King's studio.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "queer eye for the straight guy?"

Yeah, something like that, Kevin, but helping more than just one guy a week. And not on tv.

message 35: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i do that now. it's a little thing i call: Being A Dad

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Larry wrote: "For some reason lite-brite reminds me of Larry King's studio.

"

Hahahahahahaha!!! It DOES look like Lite-Brite!

message 37: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Hah, I think it's probably more of a man-attractant. Not saying any of the guys we know on TC are like this, but many guys I've known over the years would have been thrilled to "conquer" virgin territory.

message 38: by Heidi (last edited Aug 13, 2009 02:47PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments True, Angabel. Supposedly we release pheremones when we're in a relationship or content/happy. I remember my college biology teacher mentioning something about this and rolling my eyes when I heard it because at the time it seemed absurd to me.

(from wiki)

Sex pheromones: In animals, sex pheromones indicate the availability of the female for breeding. Male animals may also emit pheromones that convey information about their species and genotype. Many insect species release sex pheromones to attract a mate, and many lepidopterans (moths and butterflies) can detect a potential mate from as far away as 10 kilometers (6.25 mi). Traps containing pheromones are used by farmers to detect and monitor insect population in orchards. At the microscopic level, a gamete pheromone may provide a trail leading the opposite sex's gametes towards it to accomplish fertilization. Pheromones are also used in the detection of oestrus in sows. Boar pheromones are sprayed into the sty, and those sows which exhibit sexual arousal are known to be currently available for breeding. Sea urchins release pheromones into the surrounding water, sending a chemical message that triggers other urchins in the colony to eject their sex cells simultaneously.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Axe is vile, and should not be used by ANYONE, Angabel. I thought just teenage boys bought that stuff, anyways.

message 40: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "we have one near here called the Amish Cafe. everything taste like a sunday afternoon meal and there are like 7 grandma's cooking. multiple gravies, bread pudding and forks that look like you could..."

Yep, that's exactly what it was like...I'm serious...

message 41: by RandomAnthony (last edited Aug 13, 2009 03:46PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I thought Larry King's pic was up because young women dig him.

Him and Rick Pitino.

Rick Pitino had the creepiest sex scandal ever! He does some waitress in a restaurant, with his friend hiding nearby, the friend eventually marries the waitress, and Pitino pays for "health insurance" for the woman...yeah, right.

I feel like I need a shower just writing that.

I have never smelled Axe.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Who's Rick Pitino?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Ewww. On a TABLE???

message 45: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I heard about that yesterday on Sports Talk radio. There's an abortion somewhere in that story.

message 46: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments That's the "health insurance" part, Heidi...

Read the whole article, Jacks! The table is the reasonable part of the story...

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments It all sounds very sordid to me. The "health insurance" money, the second encounter in a hotel room, and, the manager married her to keep her quiet?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'm still thinking about that restaurant table, and wondering if it got wiped down after the encounter.

Aarrgh...

message 49: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I think "vocabulous" is pretty damn vocabulous, Buns!

message 50: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I have met Rick Pitino.

« previous 1