What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA/New Adult Historical Fiction Fantasy A Female Detective and a Young Hotshot Male Sidekick Travel Through Time and Eventually Chase Down Jack the Ripper and She Listens to Stairway to Heaven

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Whittemore | 5 comments Hello there! So there’s a book I read around 2010-2011. Only vivid details from it come back to me. But I remember being addicted to it for weeks.

It was a New Adult or Young Adult book (it was semi-gory or it seemed intense to my scaredy-cat self)

It followed a more mature female detective who was stuck with a younger hotshot male who seemed to be fairly talented at everything he did, so she felt upstaged initially in their relationship.

It was a murder mystery of some sort. The older grizzled female detective- young male hotshot duo traveled through little bubble spaces where people just went on vacation to far-off settings. For example, people would just travel to a city that resembled an Aztecan civilization, or the industrial era of the Victorian Age, or the Elizabethan tennis age.

There was a scene where the hotshot younger guy ended up playing tennis with a giant racket against some famous historical figure.

The ending scene involves the female detective (possibly retiring?) listening to “Stairway to Heaven” after having solved the case.

A scene where Jack the Ripper is female and clutching some strange sewn-up version of a baby to her chest, but she’d also gone completely mad.

There was also a mini museum of creepy wax figures they went to. And also, there was a costuming station where people have to get in character before they travel in these cities. So you had to wear the corsets before going into the Regency era, for example.

There was also some intense conversation they had over tea with the queen. (Possibly)

I freaking loved this book. If anybody has any idea of a book title for this, please tell me. It was quirky. Noir. Thriller. Steampunk. And the main duo was platonic for the most part.

Also there was a seduction scene where Jack the Ripper lures an unwitting vacation time travel female tourist to an alleyway. It might even have been the opening scene, and she’s dressed but without the time appropriate clothing because it was just vacation anyways.

Love you all! Thank you so much!

message 2: by Kris (last edited Mar 24, 2018 02:30PM) (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
Sophia, what's the location and time period of "present day"?

Can you tell us more about the female detective - who does she work for, is she married, have kids, skills/interests, personality, etc.?

Does the Jack the Ripper plot appear early in the story, and is it central to the book?

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Rosenberger (sarahatothek) | 37 comments This is a stretch, but maybe The House That Jack Built by Robert Aspirin?

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Sophie, are you still looking for this or did you find it?