Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

The Man in the High Castle
This topic is about The Man in the High Castle
SF/F Movie, TV & Video Game Chat > P.K. Dick's "Man in High Castle" on Amazon

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 24, 2014 01:40PM) (new)

Deadline: Hollywood is reporting Amazon Studios has OK'd a pilot episode for "The Man in the High Castle".

Amazon Studio's is the video production group for Amazon original video series (of whihc I can only think of Alpha House, and haven't watched it. (here's there current slate, most of whihc seem to be just a pilot episode.)

Bryan | 243 comments "most of whihc seem to be just a pilot episode"

Yes, they shoot a bunch of pilots and—allegedly—use viewer feedback to decide which will becomes series, and last year only kid shows were picked up.
From what I've seen from the content-broadcasters-turned-content-makers, I liked only Netflix's shows and Hulu's The wrong mans. Amazon's not the studio I'd choose to adapt PKD :/

message 3: by Deeptanshu (new)

Deeptanshu | 120 comments Bryan wrote: ""most of whihc seem to be just a pilot episode"

Yes, they shoot a bunch of pilots and—allegedly—use viewer feedback to decide which will becomes series, and last year only kid shows were picked u..."

At least someone is doing it. Lets give them a chance, there arent that many good sci fi shows running currently anyway.

Bryan | 243 comments True. The thing is Amazon's last batch was pretty, how should I put it, amateurish, but that probably was to be expected and maybe the next one will be better. I won't get my hopes too high but I'll watch the pilot.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Amazon has The Man in the High Castle , episode 1, on-line as part of it's "Pilot Season". I believe it's free to watch for everyone in US (not just Prime members; not sure about non-US viewing.)

message 6: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas Kotar (ravenson) | 9 comments anyone watched it yet? any good?

message 7: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 894 comments I thought it was very well done, but I won't tune in for more episodes if they green light it. It just wasn't of interest to me.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 03, 2015 06:24PM) (new)

Nicholas wrote: "anyone watched it yet? any good?"

Not bad. It's done as a period piece, of course (1950's), since the storyline requires Hitler to still be ruling Europe & Eastern America. They kept most of the elements of the original (plus a bit extra.)

I was curious how they were going to flesh out the visuals, since making a video of a novel suddenly requires decisions on all sorts of background incidentals (both in Japanese-run San Francisco and Nazi-run New York.)

I thought it was interesting that they changed "The Grasshopper Lies Heavy" from a book into a short film (8mm, in the old-fashioned canister), I presume so it works better in visual storytelling. It does have the disadvantage that anyone who manages to get a copy is going also need a projector :) Not like you can read it on the bus.

message 9: by David (new)

David (dww108) | 24 comments I never read the novel so I have no idea if the episode stayed true. But I thought it was a darn fine episode of television. I hope they pick it up and make a full season out of it.

Bryan | 243 comments I watched it and found it surprisingly well made, except for some of the acting.
I understand the logic in turning the book "The grasshopper lies heavy" into a movie because it's a TV show, but it may imply some fundamental differences with the book. I'm curious to see how they'll handle that.

Anyway, if the current Amazon users rating (4.8*) and the good critical reception are any indication, it seems it has a good chance of being picked up for a season.

message 11: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas Kotar (ravenson) | 9 comments wonderful! This gives me just enough time to read it before the full season gets made.

Bryan | 243 comments Oh, I think you'll have plenty of time. If it gets picked up, I'd be surprised if the full season is released this year.

message 13: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas Kotar (ravenson) | 9 comments I figured. but by the time I get to that part of my TBR, it'll probably be next year :)

message 14: by Wastrel (new)

Wastrel | 34 comments Bryan wrote: "I watched it and found it surprisingly well made, except for some of the acting.
I understand the logic in turning the book "The grasshopper lies heavy" into a movie because it's a TV show, but it..."

There'll be differences from the book, because (I've not read the book) apparently the pilot alone is half the the book, and they're talking about doing four or five years of TV show. So it's really more "set in the world of" than "an adaptation of".

I think it's a show that could go either way. In most respects, the pilot is excellent (though I don't really like the can't-tell-if-it's-CGI digital cinematography look* people like these days). However, the actors/characters are not yet compelling (other than the senior Japanese official - I want more of him), and two of the things the pilot leans heavily on - mystery (what the heck is going on?) and over-the-top malice (the nazi territory at least seems to be more nazi than the nazis) - are things that can end up weighing a show down.

But it's a compelling start, at least.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

And, Amazon has chosen to continue the series...

Amazon Orders 5 Original Series Including ‘Man In The High Castle,’ (Hollywood Reporter)

message 16: by David (new)

David Dire (David_Dire) | 4 comments G33z3r wrote: "Amazon has
The Man in the High Castle
, episode 1, on-line as part of it's "Pilot Season". I believe it's free to watch for everyone in US (not just Prime members; not sure about non-US viewing.)"

Great! Thanks for that link!

message 17: by David (new)

David Dire (David_Dire) | 4 comments Deeptanshu wrote: "Bryan wrote: ""most of whihc seem to be just a pilot episode"

Yes, they shoot a bunch of pilots and—allegedly—use viewer feedback to decide which will becomes series, and last year only kid shows..."

If you haven't watched it already, I recommend 'Ascension'. I can't say enough good things about it.