Play Book Tag discussion

Flowers for Algernon
This topic is about Flowers for Algernon
Archive: Other Books > Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes( Decathlon)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

SouthWestZippy | 837 comments Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
3 stars
Taken from the back of the book. "Charlie Gordon is about to embark upon an unprecedented journey. Born with an unusually low IQ, he has been chosen as the perfect subject for an experimental surgery that researchers hope will increase his intelligence--a procedure that has already been highly successful when tested on a lab mouse named Algernon."
I had a hard time getting into it at first but hung in there and it picked up. I found most of it emotionally tasking but the ending just sent me over the edge. I read this for a challenge and would not have picked to read otherwise. I am glad I read it but not one I would read again.

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments One of my favorite books. I love the question of belong and fitting it and the two extremes. And like you said, so sad.

message 3: by Cynda (last edited Mar 21, 2018 07:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cynda You may be right Zippy. I watched the movie. A few years later I read the book, probably in the late 1980s. And the I never have returned to the movie or the book.
Like you, I think it is a good book, but done.

Gave me a kinder view on frienemies.

message 4: by JoLene (last edited Mar 22, 2018 01:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I thought this was a well crafted story, and my high rating reflects that. I’m glad I read it. I agree it’s not one that I need to revisit. (I rarely re-read anyway).

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2151 comments I never re-read but I have to say that this one stayed with me even though I read it eons ago, and saw the movie.

Natty Dee | 1 comments Jason wrote: "One of my favorite books. I love the question of belong and fitting it and the two extremes. And like you said, so sad."

Also a favourite for me, recently had my second read. The themes around trying to fit in and develop relationships are so interesting and well-explored. It feels like the book is almost one big contradiction - what (and Charlie) would expect is not what happens at all and it feels like he is doomed to be an outsider one way or the other (though more 'accepted' on one end of the scale).