Brilliant Books You've Never Heard Of discussion

Oh Honey
This topic is about Oh Honey
Group Read > Oh Honey - Finished Reading *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) What did you think of Oh Honey?

message 2: by Karly (last edited Apr 11, 2018 10:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karly (karlyclark) | 5 comments First, I want to say I'm loving this group. I wouldn't have read this or Freaks I've Met otherwise, and it's getting me out of my genre rut.

I absolutely loved this, and devoured it quickly. The pacing kept me turning pages, and the revelations came at just the right times to keep me reading and guessing until the very end.

Personally, I love flawed characters, and get bored with books that don't have them. Jane/Samantha/her myriad of other names was certainly flawed, and maybe not relatable but she felt so real. I felt like I knew her. The secondary characters had some real depth too, and no one felt like a complete trope.

I would honestly love to see a sequel of this where Jane and the rest develop as characters. I believe the author said she wasn't sure if she would write another book, but I'd strongly encourage it!

message 3: by Kristin B. (last edited Apr 11, 2018 07:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) I agree with you, Karly. I love a good flawed character. And this cast of characters were so believably flawed.

Often you read a book with a damaged character and they become too over the top. Jane was so realistically crafted. A damaged childhood followed by a series of small, but compounding, bad choices created an all to common downward spiral. Each of the other characters was amazing as well. Frank's naive sweetness, Ivy's obvious concern and attempts at connection, Keat's inability to express concern in any kind of constructive way. I loved them all.

I actually work in a call center myself. Thankfully we take inbound calls. Not nearly as soul-draining as outbound, cold calling. But I see a lot of these types of people. Jane is obviously smart, and could probably create a great life for herself, but past pain and her inability to process it get in the way.

There were so many brilliant little things that I loved in the writing of this book. I loved the wit and the unexpectedly beautiful phrases. I loved the moments that felt so human and lonely. The short sections were compelling and kept me reading. The repetition helped to really show what working in a call center is like. A lot of our associates take as many as a hundred calls a day. That is so mentally exhausting and the repetition is the worst part.

The contrast between Ivy's parents and Jane's was heartbreaking. Ivy had these amazing parents that she just couldn't appreciate. Jane's parents were despicable, but she was forced to hear Ivy complain about people that Jane would have given anything to be raised by.

This book is really personal to me, not only because of the call center setting, but because my two younger sisters suffer from mental illness. They both have severe depression and one has bipolar disorder. This was an interesting look into some of what they go through in their own heads.

I have a lot of emotions about this book and I'm hoping some more folks jump into the discussion. I ordered a paperback copy to send to a friend of mine who moved to a different state. She moved there when my company opened up a new location and so also works in a call center.

I just have to share a few of my favorite parts of the book that I highlighted.

You think that Germans are responsible for Crunchwrap Supremes? I was giggling at my desk (in my call center!) as I read this line.

Do you ever think about that, Jane? About what someone was like as a kid? I do it all the time. Sometimes when I see an old man on the street I think about how he was a baby once. I think it about homeless people especially. Almost every time I see a homeless guy, I think, your mother was probably so excited to have you when she was pregnant and now you have nowhere to sleep. People probably came to the hospital to meet you as a baby. You had a grandma who probably told her friends about you. You played with blocks and stuff. Do you ever think about things like that? This was beautiful and heartbreaking.

I am the single clean thread in the unhygienic tapestry that is this hellish toilet of a bus. The fact that she said this while high and spiraling downward illustrated how someone can fall so far. Sometimes they don't even realize they're falling.

Peppermint is the name of a cartoon child in the Peanuts comics," I explain, "If you, for whatever deviant reason, feel compelled to sexualize that, then that indignity is on you. Another hearty chuckle!

Ivy’s sad attempt at optimism after being given the worst gift ever wrapped makes me smile a little, despite it all. I loved this moment so much. Those small glimmers are sometimes all a person has to hold on to.

I told her I was pregnant and the baby died. She said, "Oh honey." I said my mom wouldn’t stay the night. She said, "Oh honey." I said that I hadn’t wanted to be pregnant to begin with, but that I felt sad now. She said, "Oh honey." Sometimes, there is nothing else you can say.

Kasi (kasireadsjunkandstuff) This had my heart pounding in my throat there for the last bit. Getting to watch the reality come to the surface was quite the journey but also utterly fascinating.

Brilliant Books You've Never Heard Of

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Oh Honey (other topics)