Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > Readathon Traditions

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by GabsAboutBooks (last edited Mar 21, 2018 04:50PM) (new)

GabsAboutBooks Tell us your readathon rituals and traditions. Do you have a special spot you like to read? Do you meal prep, if so what do you like to eat? How do you organize your TBR?
We are excited to hear what your traditions are. If this is your first readathon then let us know how you will prepare!

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments I don't really organize my TBR, to be honest. I need to know what is available from the library at the time and what I will have finished by the start of the readathon.

As a tradition, I always make this bean soup. It is delicious. And then I basically eat it throughout the day. I put it in the crock pot, either just before bed or first thing when I wake up for readathon. I was diagnosed with diabetes since the last readathon so a lot of my snacks this time around will have to be changed to healthier alternatives. But bean soup is still totally on.

I don't really have a special spot to read. I listen to audiobooks a lot because I am usually multitasking. I like to cross stitch while listening to audiobooks. I also listen while on the group or on blogs or twitter.

message 3: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) I only have the one spot to read, my side of the couch. Not the best couch in the world but it's ours, a recliner so I can put my feet up and be fairly comfortable.

Dewey's is all about the junk food!! I know a lot of people stick to the whole not a lot of junk food thing, but when you are used to it, it's fine. The day starts of with donuts that my Hubby goes and gets me (if He's not working) if He is, then He'll get some box/bag kind the night before. Lunch varies, is usually something quick and easy. Dinner has been pizza, since it's also quick and easy and yummy. Snacks are important, and usually on hand are a few of the following: Oreos, Smore's Goldfish, cookies, Sour Patch Kids, Reese's Spread with graham crackers, ect...

I'm a fly-by-er. I don't pick out books far in advance, if at all. Definitely nothing at this point! A day or two before I'll put together a loose stack of 20-25 books or so that will fit the challenges that I'm doing at that time, and I'll either pick from those, or just go with what I feel like.

This will be my 9th Dewey's. I've gone the full 24 hours each one and plan the same this year. I'll read both Kindle and audiobooks. Usually mix it up during the day, into the night, then around 1-2 I switch to all audiobooks because my eyes get tired. Not last time, but the two before I ended the night with a favorite re-read (The Great Zoo of China & The Martian), think I'll do that again this time.

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 69 comments even though its read-a-thon - i try to remain kind of active depending on the weather...so at least once during the day- i'll set my bike trainer up in the basement and listen to an audiobook while I workout; or i'll go for a walk (or two) around the neighborhood with an audiobook. I love that i can basically walk to my library in about 20min, so if i get bored with books I have out - i may head that way and get something new to read

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Dee wrote: "even though its read-a-thon - i try to remain kind of active depending on the weather...so at least once during the day- i'll set my bike trainer up in the basement and listen to an audiobook while..."

That is awesome! I'm definitely going to look to add a walk in this year. Unless it is raining...

Colona Public Library (colonapubliclibrary) | 197 comments I like to use the slow cooker! This year I think I'm going to choose a few books from my TBR list a head of time this year. ~Ashley

message 7: by Jan Schwartz (new)

Jan Schwartz | 26 comments I make a pot of reg coffee (I usually drink decaf), stock up on a little junk food, and bring in some take out I can reheat. This yr, going to try an audio book so I can still go to the gym or the park.

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 69 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "Dee wrote: "even though its read-a-thon - i try to remain kind of active depending on the weather...so at least once during the day- i'll set my bike trainer up in the basement and listen to an aud..."

Argh...the R word! Noooo!!!!!

Catsbooksandcoffee | 20 comments Lots of snacks are essential and I do prepare mels before the readathon, så I just need to heat them up.

I spend a lot of time preparing my reading stack, where I try to combine shorter books with longer ones, different genres and so on. I always have more books in the stacks than I could possible read, because I might change my mind about what books to read

message 10: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 65 comments I always include at least one children's/YA book for some variety. I have more books in my TBR pile than I can read in case I don't like what I am reading. I try to be spontaneous. This is a day for feel good reading so I go with what feels good to read.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Dee wrote: "Kathryn CA wrote: "Dee wrote: "even though its read-a-thon - i try to remain kind of active depending on the weather...so at least once during the day- i'll set my bike trainer up in the basement a..."

We've been having it pretty heavy here lately. And as the song goes... April showers bring May flowers.

message 12: by Lupe (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 43 comments My biggest tradition....having one of my nieces bday parties fall on Readathon weekends. LOL! Which means I end up having sporadic reading periods throughout the 24 hours. LOL!

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Lupe wrote: "My biggest tradition....having one of my nieces bday parties fall on Readathon weekends. LOL! Which means I end up having sporadic reading periods throughout the 24 hours. LOL!"

lol

Sometimes I wish the dates would change up more. Would love a winter or a summer readathon.

message 14: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 315 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "Lupe wrote: "My biggest tradition....having one of my nieces bday parties fall on Readathon weekends. LOL! Which means I end up having sporadic reading periods throughout the 24 hours. LOL!"

lol

..."

Yes! A New Year readathon or something would be awesome and a great way to start off the year. And a summer too would be wonderful!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 369 comments TBR Plans

I won't plan the TBR until a few days before. I have to see what goals I finish for April already and what my plans will be for May first. I'm going to plan to take more Audiobook breaks this year to keep energy up. Last year I did a few hours in the morning and it helped. I'm not crazy about audiobooks but have several to read, and a 24-hr readathon is the perfect time to balance them with reading books.

Food

Last year I indulged in a favorite food for dinner, Hungry Howie's Calzone Sub, but that probably hurt my energy a bit with how calorie and carb heavy it is. I figured indulging in a favorite treat and delivery would be fun - and it was! - but this year I may try something a bit lighter. This year I'd like to get some healthier snacks and quick foods. I enjoyed making breakfast last year while listening to an audiobook through the radio in the kitchen to help wake up and feel like I was doing a sort of routine.

Not sure yet on which foods, but I did try carrots and Red Pepper Hummus last year for the first time and fell in love with it!

So food will take some planning to, but that's part of the fun. :)

Thankfully I just got my new milk frother yesterday that will help with my cinnamon lattes, will sip down some hot tea, and random drinks.

Reading Nooks

I have been reading on the porch more lately. Depending on the heat will probably do that, read on couch with Youtube ambient videos, long bubble baths with reading time, the audiobook in the kitchen and through the computer speakers. I will probably stay out of the bedroom reading spot because of the inevitable sleep urge! Of course blankets, candles, and all the fun extras I throw in. I need to clear my house too :(

24 hours?

I didn't make the full 24 hours last year and probably won't again. Made 18 last year. I liked the idea of small naps in between when I grew tired, but naps with me are unpredictable. I need to be better about getting a full night's sleep the night before!

Social Networking Links

Blog Sign-up Post
Twitter
Instagram
Facebook Group - Posting under Erin Williams
Tumblr Link

message 16: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (readersbeadvised) My first readathon was the reverse one just this past July, so I learned a few things and will likely begin to set some traditions.

One thing I will add is an audiobook that I didn't do in July.

I read everywhere from the bathtub to the couch to a rocking chair in our unfinished studio. As for books, I've already set aside some indulgent books and plenty of variety to keep me on my toes.

And I'm going to center my food around a beverage and snack with plenty of tea all around!

But one tradition that will stay is an appearance by my family at regular intervals.

message 17: by Camilla (last edited Oct 19, 2018 07:05AM) (new)

Camilla (cyqua) | 55 comments I only really have 3 traditions:

One is that I always read 1 book in the A Series of Unfortunate Event and never read them otherwise :) I am reading book 10 this time around, so not really sure what I will do once I reach the end (13). Maybe start over? :D

The second tradition is that I always "make" my husband make me his boeuf bourguignon for dinner (which takes like 5 hours) and then I just snack on that all night :)

And the final is that I always pick a book that I think will be particularly scary to keep me up during the night :) It's worked wonders in the past, but is of course a bit of a risk!

I usually also pick out my stack carefully in advance and always take at least 1 walk, but that's more as the mood strikes :)

message 18: by Alix (new)

Alix (pixiealix) | 25 comments Camilla wrote: "I usually also pick out my stack carefully in advance and always take at least 1 walk, but that's more as the mood strikes :) "

I added taking a longer walk (as in, not just running the doggo around the back yard as needed) to my readathons last October and it's a really nice addition.

message 19: by Liora (new)

Liora (chinquapin) | 40 comments Camilla wrote: "I only really have 3 traditions:

One is that I always read 1 book in the A Series of Unfortunate Event and never read them otherwise :) I am reading book 10 this time around, so not really sure wh..."

I love your traditions. I think I will try to pick a series to read every read-a-thon. And walk the dogs, if it is not pouring rain. Sadly, my husband cannot make anything more complicated than an omelette, so no boeuf bourguignon here. It sounds wonderful, though.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 182 comments Camilla wrote: "I only really have 3 traditions:

One is that I always read 1 book in the A Series of Unfortunate Event and never read them otherwise :) I am reading book 10 this time around, so not really sure wh..."

I love the idea of reading one book from a series each readathon. I may have to purloin that one... Maybe I'll start a new series this readathon with that in mind. There goes my TBR...again...

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 182 comments A tradition a started last Dewey's was to count pages. Based on the pages read, I would donate $0.10 per page to a charity of my choosing. My family has gotten in on it too, and also pledge a certain amount, from a penny to a nickel per page.

message 22: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) | 401 comments Mod
I always try to start at Starbucks for my first hour. I have another coffee shop I love, that's local and family owned, but so many of my friends hang out there saturday mornings (my running club meets there every week for our group run) that I wouldn't get any reading done if I went there. LOL

I try to take a photo every hour to post on instagram and FB of something related to the RAT: what I'm reading, where I'm reading, my stats, my current furry companion, etc.

Other than that, I just try to read as much as I can. This year I have a Halloween themed 5k race in the evening so I'll have to do audio books for a couple hours while I'm out and about for my race.

message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Jennifer wrote: "A tradition a started last Dewey's was to count pages. Based on the pages read, I would donate $0.10 per page to a charity of my choosing. My family has gotten in on it too, and also pledge a certa..."

I've done that in the past and then I went through a really difficult financial situation and wasn't able to. I might try to incorporate that again this time as it feels good to give back to the world.

message 24: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Kelley wrote: "I always try to start at Starbucks for my first hour. I have another coffee shop I love, that's local and family owned, but so many of my friends hang out there saturday mornings (my running club m..."

My Starbucks isn't open at 5 am :( However, It is a short walk for me. So for the "Get Up and Move" BINGO box, I am going to take a mid-morning walk to Starbucks and maybe read there for a while (takes care of the requirement to read someplace outside the house as well... blame Gabby for that one. The hermit in my wanted to resist. hahaha

message 25: by Kelley (new)

Kathryn CA wrote: "Kelley wrote: "I always try to start at Starbucks for my first hour. I have another coffee shop I love, that's local and family owned, but so many of my friends hang out there saturday mornings (my..."

for me the RAT starts at 7 so a much more reasonable starting time. My local starbucks actually does open at 5 though, which is nice because I often stop there after my morning run to get my coffee as I drive home and get ready for work.

message 26: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Kelley wrote: "Kathryn CA wrote: "Kelley wrote: "I always try to start at Starbucks for my first hour. I have another coffee shop I love, that's local and family owned, but so many of my friends hang out there sa..."

Mine has a 24/7 drive through. That is the major advantage of it. But I don't actually go to Starbucks very often. Probably 3 or 4 times a year.

message 27: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 315 comments Mm now I want donuts and coffee. But yeah I start at 5 am and the nearest option so early is over a 20 minute drive away.

message 28: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Jamie wrote: "Mm now I want donuts and coffee. But yeah I start at 5 am and the nearest option so early is over a 20 minute drive away."

That's when you do an at home coffee and then a mid-morning field trip.

message 29: by Elyse (last edited Oct 19, 2018 02:35PM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1761 comments I can't believe I've only been participating for 1.5 years! I started in April 2017! So with only 4 previous Dewey's under my belt, I don't really have any hard and fast traditions yet. I'm still working things out as each readathon comes. I mean, besides my personal tradition of reading Stephen King novels for the month of October so every October Dewey's will only be Stephen King novels. :)

message 30: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Elyse wrote: "I can't believe I've only been participating for 1.5 years! I started in April 2017! So with only 4 previous Dewey's under my belt, I don't really have any hard and fast traditions yet. I'm still w..."

Wow, I feel like you've been participating for longer than that! You're fantastic!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Camilla wrote: "I only really have 3 traditions:

I love this series idea as well. I'm going to steal that and make Nancy Drew my series of choice. I've been trying to read them all anyway.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Kelley wrote: "I always try to start at Starbucks for my first hour. I have another coffee shop I love, that's local and family owned, but so many of my friends hang out there saturday mornings (my running club m..."

I could really get into the Starbuck's tradition!

message 33: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1761 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "Wow, I feel like you've been participating for longer than that! You're fantastic!..."

Aww thanks, Kate! lol

message 34: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Sace wrote: "Camilla wrote: "I only really have 3 traditions:

One is that I always read 1 book in the A Series of Unfortunate Event and never read them otherwise :) I am reading book 10 this time around, so no..."

That's a good series to pick. I might do the Nightmare Hall series by Diane Hoh. Or I could do Sweet Valley if I get really nostalgic.

message 35: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 315 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "Sace wrote: "Camilla wrote: "I only really have 3 traditions:

One is that I always read 1 book in the A Series of Unfortunate Event and never read them otherwise :) I am reading book 10 this time ..."

I will be reading some Sweet Valley in Nov & Dec doing a challenge to read books that are part of a series so those will be perfect. :) And yes very nostalgic!

message 36: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Jamie wrote: "Kathryn CA wrote: "Sace wrote: "Camilla wrote: "I only really have 3 traditions:

One is that I always read 1 book in the A Series of Unfortunate Event and never read them otherwise :) I am reading..."

What challenge? I am a reading challenge addict. It's a problem. LOL

message 37: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 569 comments Although this is only my second readathon. I can already see that shorter works work better for me. My attention span is short, and I need to know that gratification will come soon. Plus I love racking up my Goodreads Reading Challenge.

See you all tomorrow.💃

message 38: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 315 comments Its with a group here on goodreads. They do challenges every month. But since holidays are so busy Nov/Dec is a bit easier for us all. Here is the challenge link for next month. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 39: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 504 comments Sace wrote: "Camilla wrote: "I only really have 3 traditions:

One is that I always read 1 book in the A Series of Unfortunate Event and never read them otherwise :) I am reading book 10 this time around, so no..."

Nancy Drew is my series of choice for the wee hours of the Readathon. I loved these books as a child and am having fun re-reading them. I'm on #10 now Password to Larkspur Lane. I've done more than 10 Readathons , so I must have left Nancy out on a few of them :)

message 40: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 315 comments Nancy drew! More nostalgia. A fav growing up.

message 41: by Kelley (new)

Sace wrote: "Kelley wrote: "I always try to start at Starbucks for my first hour. I have another coffee shop I love, that's local and family owned, but so many of my friends hang out there saturday mornings (my..."

I didn't get there until midway through hour 2 this time, but then, that was when I finally got started to I still kept to my tradition. LOL

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

In honor of my first readathon I bought myself some Dewey's swag. Just a small magnet, but if read log more reading time I'm getting a mug next time! 😊 I think it will be my new tradition.

message 43: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1761 comments Sace wrote: "In honor of my first readathon I bought myself some Dewey's swag. Just a small magnet, but if read log more reading time I'm getting a mug next time! 😊 I think it will be my new tradition."

Awesome! That will be a great, supportive tradition to keep Dewey's alive for many years to come! :)

message 44: by D.J. (new)

D.J. (heart1lly) | 2 comments I always start the readathon with some donuts, the most unhealthy snack I'll allow myself during the day.

I always organize my TBR pile, but I never end up reading the books and just wing it in the end...so this year, I'm not putting pressure on myself to make a TBR pile. The donuts, however, are already being eaten :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.