Into the Forest discussion

General > Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Britt (new)

Britt (brittmonster) Hi folks! I see this group mainly focuses on fiction so please let me know if this is inappropriate, but I was hoping you could help me!

I am putting together a proposal for my undergrad thesis over the next few weeks which includes a preliminary reading list. I plan on looking at a few Fairy Tale types (probably Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and The Beast, Snow White) and tracing them through history, looking at the basic structure of each type and seeing where it shows up in time and space and analyzing the similarities and differences in the variations.

I chose the types I mention above because I also want to discuss the impact these tales still have on culture, especially in regards to girls and women, and the "Disney Princess" phenomenon. I love fairy tales and the way this shared history with different stories impacts all of us and the stories we love, but I worry about the way some of the tales have been used to market a damaging image of girlhood over the past 20-30 years.

So my request of all you wonderful people is, can you recommend any books that analyze the impact of fairy tales in general, and princess culture specifically on children, both positive and negative? Thanks everyone!

Britt

message 2: by Lacey (new)

Lacey Louwagie | 236 comments Hey, Britt. Have you checked out Cinderella Ate my Daughter by Peggy Orenstein? I haven't read it myself yet but it sounds like it might speak to what you are looking for. I have tons more to say on this topic but may have to return at a time when my baby isn't trying to get my phone!

message 3: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 753 comments Brittney wrote: "Hi folks! I see this group mainly focuses on fiction so please let me know if this is inappropriate, but I was hoping you could help me!

I am putting together a proposal for my undergrad thesis ov..."

Hi Brittney. It's been a while since I did any research on this, but I dug up some of my old notes and found the following which might be of help:

Kiss Sleeping Beauty Good-Bye by Madonna Kolbenschlag.

Spinning Straw into Gold: What Fairy Tales Reveal About the Transformations in a Woman's Life by Joan Gould

Slaying the Mermaid: Women and the Culture of Sacrifice by Stephanie Golden

The Feminine in Fairy Tales and The Interpretation of Fairy Tales by Marie-Louise von Franz.

Waking Sleeping Beauty: Feminist Voices in Children's Novels by Roberta S. Trites.

I'll let you know if I come up with any others.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your thesis.

message 4: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 4469 comments Mod
Brittney wrote: "Hi folks! I see this group mainly focuses on fiction so please let me know if this is inappropriate, but I was hoping you could help me!

I am putting together a proposal for my undergrad thesis ov..."

Sorry for my late reply Brittany! I wanted to answer when I had time, but then forgot!
Thanks Lacey and Tamara for your replies!

Some other non-fiction book to check out are
From the Beast to the Blonde: On Fairy Tales and Their Tellers by Marina Warner. It was our group read a few years ago. Actually anything by Marina Warner is good!
Also
Don't Bet on the Prince: Contemporary Feminist Fairy Tales in North America and England by Jack D. Zipes

I have not read the following two, but they look interesting:
The Interpretation of Fairy Tales
and
The Witch Must Die: The Hidden Meaning of Fairy Tales

message 5: by Britt (new)

Britt (brittmonster) Lacey wrote: "Hey, Britt. Have you checked out Cinderella Ate my Daughter by Peggy Orenstein? I haven't read it myself yet but it sounds like it might speak to what you are looking for. I have tons more to say o..."

Yes! That has been on my TBR list for awhile and this is a perfect excuse to finally get around to it :)

message 6: by Britt (new)

Britt (brittmonster) Thanks! Those all look fantastic.