Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > TBR April 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 116 (116 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by GabsAboutBooks (new)

GabsAboutBooks In this thread tell us what books you are planning on reading! Leave a link to your blog or Booktube video!

message 2: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 74 comments So excited :D I have no idea what books I'll read, I'll decide closer to the time. I thought Dewey's was on the 28th? I heard somewhere, maybe Cat's channel LittleBookOwl?

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) I will be reading whichever books I haven't finished from this list: http://christianbookshelfreviews.blog...

It's my spring TBR. I'm looking forward to participating finally again. :)

message 4: by Cathy (last edited Mar 21, 2018 05:17PM) (new)

Cathy (cathepsut) These are my books planned for April:

Worth Her Weight in Gold by Sarah Gailey Broken Homes (Peter Grant, #4) by Ben Aaronovitch Saga, Vol. 1 (Saga, #1) by Brian K. Vaughan Ilium (Ilium, #1) by Dan Simmons Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

message 5: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 65 comments I'll decide a few days before after seeing what books I have that I haven't read yet.

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 67 comments too far out for me to think about my TBR pile right now - i normally figure it out a couple of days prior

message 7: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 7 comments Usually I make a trip to the library to pick out an assortment of books, but this year it's all about Mount TBR - picking books off of my own shelf + 1 anticipated read that I bought specifically for the readathon.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Jamie wrote: "Usually I make a trip to the library to pick out an assortment of books, but this year it's all about Mount TBR - picking books off of my own shelf + 1 anticipated read that I bought specifically f..."

That's a smart idea. I really need to combat Mt. TBR

message 9: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 102 comments How do I sign up for the April readathon? I have a stack of TBR I would love to attack.

message 10: by Tijana (new)

Tijana  | 4 comments This year I've decided to read more books from my own shelves (cause I have so many that I haven't read), so I every month I make a little TBR from my shelves (not counting library books)...So, my TBR for now is:
Turtles All the Way Down by John Green Wonder by R.J. Palacio Triptych (Will Trent, #1) by Karin Slaughter Julie and Julia 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen How One Girl Risked Her Marriage, Her Job, and Her Sanity to Master the Art of Living by Julie Powell A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1) by Claudia Gray Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man What Men Really Think About Love, Relationships, Intimacy, and Commitment by Steve Harvey

But I plan on going to the library for more :) And also I'll probably add some comics and audiobooks for the readathon :)

message 11: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 102 comments Tijana wrote: "This year I've decided to read more books from my own shelves (cause I have so many that I haven't read), so I every month I make a little TBR from my shelves (not counting library books)...So, my ..."

You must be an incredibly fast reader. If I finish one sizable book I am doing great.

message 12: by Tijana (new)

Tijana  | 4 comments Patricia wrote: "Tijana wrote: "This year I've decided to read more books from my own shelves (cause I have so many that I haven't read), so I every month I make a little TBR from my shelves (not counting library b..."

Not increadibly fast, but I usually read few books at the time...For example, right now I'm reading 5 books :)

But this was more my TBR for the whole month, so I'll see what will stay for the readathon and what I'll add :)

message 13: by Doris (new)

Doris (webgeekstress) | 25 comments You're kidding, right? I don't what I'm going to read this evening, never mind a month from now!

Although in another readathon, one of the participants was doing a themed read for the year's readathons, specifically classic Balkan literature, I think, and I liked the idea. But what theme? Baseball, maybe? Make a dent in all those biographies in my TBR stack? Or California history, maybe? Or maybe challenge-theme? Tackle a few more items from my Book Riot Read Harder Challenge list?

Whatever I decide in real life, I'll probably run across some irresistible trashy novel the night before and spend the day on that... :-)

message 14: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 29 comments So far; I've got two books scheduled for my April TBR, and I know that I'm still going to schedule quite a few more books for the upcoming month. But as for the read-a-thon itself - I'm not sure what I'm going to be reading.

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Patricia wrote: "How do I sign up for the April readathon? I have a stack of TBR I would love to attack."

The official sign up hasn't been posted yet but it should be soon. We'll keep you updated when that goes up :)

message 16: by Lupe (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 25 comments It's too far out for me to know yet. But I will update when I do!

message 17: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 102 comments Tijana wrote: "Patricia wrote: "Tijana wrote: "This year I've decided to read more books from my own shelves (cause I have so many that I haven't read), so I every month I make a little TBR from my shelves (not c..."

I am currently reading two books and another that I save to read aloud in the car when my friend is driving. We have been reading the aloud book for three months and since we drive together only 1 day a month we are only on page 68. Eventually we will finish and have the fun of picking another.

★Kait Plus Books★ (kaitplusbooks) | 2 comments So far my plan is to finish whatever I happen to be reading that week, and also to read Not If I Save You First!

message 20: by Katie (new)

Katie I have been saving The six of Crow books for this read-a-thon. I am excited!!

message 21: by Caitlin (last edited Apr 23, 2018 10:53AM) (new)

Caitlin (0utnumbered321) 24 hour read-a-thon on 4/28:
A Head Full of Ghosts (audiobook) - 286p
Set This House in Order - 496p

A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay Set This House in Order by Matt Ruff

message 22: by Devon (last edited Apr 28, 2018 04:50AM) (new)

Devon (archivist_fox) | 80 comments I haven’t picked out my TBR. It is really dependent on where I am at in my current reading challenges and school on what I’ll put down.

October I pick “Spooky” books but I don’t make any plans in April beyond it being the bday month!

Right now I am in the middle of a AtoZ reading Challenge, A Library Readathon challenge and the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge for 2018. I am hoping for this readathon to knock a few challenge requirements out. If I get through all of these books, (highly doubtful) I will reward myself by reading some fun titles.

Readathon pile:
The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt The Geek Feminist Revolution by Kameron Hurley Jade Dragon Mountain (Li Du Novels #1) by Elsa Hart Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1) by Robin Sloan (current library books)
Nimona by Noelle Stevenson The X Factor by Andre Norton

message 23: by Sallys (new)

Sallys | 1 comments I plan to read Kitchen, Wild Swans and Family Matters

message 24: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 308 comments Mod
My TBR this month for both the Dewey's and the Shadow Lounge readathon. I'm focusing on books from the 1001 Books You Should Read Before You Die lists during readathons this month.

Middlemarch by George Eliot Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell The Cider House Rules by John Irving Independent People by Halldór Laxness Cause for Alarm by Eric Ambler The Plot Against America by Philip Roth Alberta and Jacob by Cora Sandel Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen Little Women (Little Women, #1) by Louisa May Alcott The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

message 25: by Juli (last edited Apr 04, 2018 11:59AM) (new)

Juli | 87 comments I hope to finish these books prior to the readathon that I have started already.

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill The Boy on the Bridge (The Girl With All the Gifts #2) by M.R. Carey Uncommon Type Some Stories by Tom Hanks The Three-Body Problem (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #1) by Liu Cixin

I also hope to make it through these (with the help of multiple other readathonsin April).

Shadowsong (Wintersong, #2) by S. Jae-Jones The Orphan Band of Springdale by Anne Nesbet Will Grayson, Will Grayson (Will Grayson, Will Grayson, #1) by John Green

And these are my options for Dewey's specifically. I am thinking I'll make it through 1.5-2 novels, some short stories, the poetry books, and maybe one graphic novel.

Ronia, the Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgren Red Clocks by Leni Zumas Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez Sorry I Wrote So Many Sad Poems Today by Tracy Dimond Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur The Doll's House (The Sandman, #2) by Neil Gaiman Supernatural Tales Excursions Into Fantasy by Vernon Lee

message 26: by Aislin (last edited Apr 04, 2018 09:13AM) (new)

Aislin Brunt My personal goal this time around is to try and get through book that have been on my TBR pile for longer then a 1 year. It's subject to change but right now it looks like this:

Assassin's Heart -420 pages
The Immortals -447 pages
Tell the Wind and Fire -360 pages
Sword and Verse -384 pages
Dark Breaks the Dawn -320 pages

All of these I bought on their release dates so I'm thinking that whatever I can't get through for the read-a-thon I will probably continue throughout the weekend since I am determined to get through these, then maybe I will have the motivation to continue onto the other books I've had for ages but not read LOL

message 27: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Apr 04, 2018 01:01PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | -99 comments Patricia wrote: "How do I sign up for the April readathon? I have a stack of TBR I would love to attack."

Signups are open at http://www.24hourreadathon.com/april-...

Too early for me to have a TBR. Likely will double-duty some books for some challenges I'm in. Whatever comes available on public library waitlist, of course (I always angst about finishing those for the sake of next person on waitlist).

message 28: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) | 323 comments Mod
I don't have an official list, though closer to, I will get some more library books. I'm doing Blind Date with a Book again this year. "Hiding" a variety of books inside my numerous book covers, I'll pick one at random as I finish a book. I had fun with that in October. About half of my reading then was done this way. The other half was finishing some in progress books, some eBooks, audio books, and some graphic novels or children's' books (Dr Seuss favorites like The Lorax and Oh the Places You'll Go. Yes, I'm in my mid-40s, with no kids, and I STILL love Dr. Seuss!)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | -99 comments Kelley wrote: "I don't have an official list, though closer to, I will get some more library books. I'm doing Blind Date with a Book again this year. "Hiding" a variety of books inside my numerous book covers, I'..."

Blind Date sounds like fun.

message 30: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 350 comments I have created yet another ridiculously large tbr stack to keep me going:

Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë The Other Woman by Colette The Price Guide to the Occult by Leslye Walton Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2) by Amie Kaufman Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller The House at Midnight by Lucie Whitehouse Goblin Market by Christina Rossetti The Night is Darkening Round Me by Emily Brontë The Beautifull Cassandra by Jane Austen Lot No. 249 by Arthur Conan Doyle How Much Land Does a Man Need? by Leo Tolstoy

message 31: by Melissa (last edited Apr 05, 2018 10:13AM) (new)

Melissa (melly2508) I will have my TBR list for the readathon finalized after next weekend, after I hit Book Warehouse. I do know that they will be books that will tick off other reading challenge prompts and are currently sitting on my bookshelf (my own personal Read My Shelf challenge).

message 32: by Taya (last edited Apr 05, 2018 10:01PM) (new)

Taya (bibliotaya) | 7 comments Here is my TBR for the entire month of April. I will date it as I complete it and hopefully by the time the Read-a-Thon is complete I will be able to finish all of these books :)

prior to the event
Saint Odd (Odd Thomas, #7) by Dean Koontz (04.04.2018)
Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1) by Veronica Roth
The Fates Divide (Carve the Mark, #2) by Veronica Roth
Heavier Than Heaven A Biography of Kurt Cobain by Charles R. Cross

with the help of the event:
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1) by Becky Albertalli
Paper Towns by John Green
The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan

message 33: by Margot (new)

Margot (hernameismoony) | 4 comments CURRENT TBR

- Clockwork prince
- A gentleman's guide to vice and virtue
- Illuminae

(may change)

message 34: by Emilee (new)

Emilee McDonald | 13 comments my TBR plie I want try and read these 4 books.
The giver
The Duff
Everything Everything
Wonder

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 338 comments I will be participating!!

I will be waiting until the week of to post my planned TBR list, however. Have to see how many April planned books I complete before then, and what's planned for May first.

Magnus // Well-Read Rebel (wellreadrebel) | 1 comments My library had a 1$ book sale yesterday so I picked up 11 books for this! I don't know which ones I will be able to read though during those 24 hours.

message 37: by Meghan (last edited Apr 27, 2018 06:41AM) (new)

Meghan (bookreadera) | 3 comments Non-fiction: The Duchess The Untold Story by Penny Junor The Riviera Set Glitz, Glamour, and the Hidden World of High Society by Mary S. Lovell The Outermost House A Year of Life on the Great Beach of Cape Cod by Henry Beston Vanilla Travels in Search of the Ice Cream Orchid by Tim Ecott Travelers Tales Greece True Stories (Travelers' Tales Guides) by Brian Alexander Duck Season Eating, Drinking and Other Misadventures in Gascony, France's Last Best Place by David McAninch
Fiction: China Rich Girlfriend (Crazy Rich Asians #2) by Kevin Kwan The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan The Cafe by the Sea by Jenny Colgan Inherit the Word (Cookbook Nook Mystery, #2) by Daryl Wood Gerber Final Sentence (Cookbook Nook Mystery, #1) by Daryl Wood Gerber Death in Brittany (Commissaire Dupin #1) by Jean-Luc Bannalec The Corsican Caper by Peter Mayle Barking Up the Wrong Tree (Bluff Point, #2) by Jenn McKinlay The Wild Wood by Charles de Lint
Audio, for when the eyes simply must have a rest: Born a Crime Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

Obviously I won't complete all of these. I like to have a few stacks with a varied selection from which to choose when doing readathons.

message 38: by Avid Reader and Geek Girl (last edited Apr 22, 2018 09:28AM) (new)

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 413 comments Mod
My TBR:

TO FINISH: Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1) by Laurie Forest The English Wife by Lauren Willig
LIBRARY BOOKS: #Prettyboy Must Die by Kimberly Reid The Pros of Cons by Alison Cherry The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw Love and Other Train Wrecks by Leah Konen
GRAPHIC NOVELS: Angel Season 11 Volume 2 (Angel, Season 11) by Joss Whedon Saga, Vol. 7 (Saga, #7) by Brian K. Vaughan Saga, Vol. 8 (Saga, #8) by Brian K. Vaughan
AUDIOBOOKS: A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas A Destiny of Dragons (Tales From Verania, #2) by T.J. Klune Openly Straight (Openly Straight, #1) by Bill Konigsberg When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare

message 39: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Apr 16, 2018 10:46AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | -99 comments A Panicked Premonition (Psychic Eye Mystery, #15) by Victoria Laurie Terminal Alliance by Jim C. Hines Nevertheless, She Persisted by Mindy Klasky Chasing Embers by James Bennett The Rule of Luck (Felicia Sevigny, #1) by Catherine Cerveny Hope and Red (Empire of Storms, #1) by Jon Skovron

I'm getting a plan together from books I already have. It's starting to be a tradition with me to launch Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon with a Jim C. Hines book so I'm starting with Terminal Alliance.

I keep an anthology going to have some shorter reads. This round it's Nevertheless, She Persisted.

I bought on publisher Orbit's 99¢ flash sale three books: Chasing Embers The Rule of Luck and Hope and Red -- all new to me authors and possible reads. Plus my usual next in series reads http://FictFact.com reminds me to do.*

For changing moods or sucky/slow books, I'm also gearing up some alternate reads. I'm going through my public library ebook wishlist in preparation. Plus looking at some freebie threads in my goodreads groups (https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... is always active) and my Amazon kindle unlimited to download some things to have on hand.

The group scavenger hunt sounds fun; not sure how much I'll adjust my TBR to participate in it. Will depend on what I have available that I'm in the mood to read.

*My FictFact reminders say my next in series are:

Burn Bright (Alpha & Omega, #5) by Patricia Briggs Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer Lake Silence (The Others, #6) by Anne Bishop Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6) by Sarah J. Maas Dark Heir (Jane Yellowrock, #9) by Faith Hunter Thornlost (Glass Thorns, #3) by Melanie Rawn Chaos Choreography (InCryptid, #5) by Seanan McGuire Tyrant's Blood (Valisar, #2) by Fiona McIntosh Witches With the Enemy (Mist-Torn Witches, #3) by Barb Hendee Endurance (Green Universe, #2) by Jay Lake Honor's Flight (Fallen Empire, #2) by Lindsay Buroker

message 40: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Apr 17, 2018 03:27PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | -99 comments Pssst...in case anyone didn't see the banner on the goodreads home page, Amazon's publishing imprint Amazon Crossings is offering nine kindle books free to "Read the World" in celebration of World Book Day.

See https://www.amazon.com/article/read-t... for details and book links.

Not a bad idea to load up the ereader in case suits your Readathon mood. At time I'm commenting, it had roughly 7 days and 8 hours left on the promotion.

message 41: by Michelle (last edited Apr 18, 2018 04:32AM) (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 37 comments Here is my TBR pile for the readathon!

Rainbirds by Clarissa Goenawan Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1) by Becky Albertalli Locke & Key, Vol 2 Head Games (Locke & Key, #2) by Joe Hill Siege and Storm (Grisha Verse, #2) by Leigh Bardugo Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett Landline by Rainbow Rowell

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | -99 comments Michelle wrote: "Here is my TBR pile for the readathon!..."

I loved Cress! But I was Johnny-come-lately because it was so hyped and sounded so odd.

message 43: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Escalona (ajourneywelove) | 3 comments I'll be going to Mexico that weekend so I can only bring one book:

The Million-Dollar, One-Person Business: Make Great Money. Work the Way You Like. Have the Life You Want.

Just started it a few days ago but still finishing a few other books before it so I think I can read a couple of pages while in Mexico.

Will probably bring a travel magazine too in case I need some mindless reading :)

message 44: by Margaret (last edited Apr 27, 2018 05:45PM) (new)

Margaret (igem36) Edit, evening on April 27: time to finalize.

I started In Suspect Terrain (10 pages read) and The Far Side Gallery 5 (70 pages finished). A recent download, Because of a Dog: A Western Novella by Donald L. Robertson is 25% complete.

Other choices: definitely McSweeney's Issue 52: In Their Faces a Landmark: Stories of Movement and Displacement. Landscaping with Annuals: Storey's Country Wisdom Bulletin A-108 by Ann Reilly, and Black Bolt #2 by Saladin Ahmed.

Extras, in case I have time for them (I'm aiming low, since I have a 3-hour hike scheduled from months ago and need my sleep): The Sound of Her Wings and The Sandman #9: Tales in the Sand; Container Gardening: Storey Country Wisdom Bulletin A-151; and The BFG.

Can't resist a cover display:

Because of a Dog A Western Novella by Donald L. Robertson Black Bolt #2 by Saladin Ahmed In Suspect Terrain by John McPhee Landscaping with Annuals Storey's Country Wisdom Bulletin A-108 by Ann Reilly McSweeney's Issue 52 In Their Faces a Landmark Stories of Movement and Displacement by Dave Eggers The Far Side Gallery 5 by Gary Larson The Sound of Her Wings (The Sandman, Master of Dreams, #8) by Neil Gaiman The Sandman #9 Tales in the Sand by Neil Gaiman Container Gardening Storey Country Wisdom Bulletin A-151 by Patricia R. Barrett The BFG by Roald Dahl

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 338 comments Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) wrote: "Pssst...in case anyone didn't see the banner on the goodreads home page, Amazon's publishing imprint Amazon Crossings is offering nine kindle books free to "Read the World" in celebration of World ..."

I grabbed those books :) I'm not planning any of them for the read-a-thon but they looked interesting.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | -99 comments I thought they would also work if there was some sort of around the world category in the upcoming group scavenger hunt.

message 47: by Margot (new)

Margot (hernameismoony) | 4 comments CURRENT TBR
a gentleman's guide to vice and virtue
turtles all the way down
illuminae
clovkwork angel
peter pan

message 48: by Margot (new)

Margot (hernameismoony) | 4 comments Margot wrote: "CURRENT TBR
a gentleman's guide to vice and virtue
turtles all the way down
illuminae
clovkwork angel
peter pan"

+ the dream thieves

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.