SQHS YLL discussion

Magnus Chase Ship of the Dead

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jade (last edited Apr 11, 2018 02:31PM) (new)

Jade | 8 comments The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #3) by Rick Riordan Magnus Chase: The Ship of the Dead (Book 3 of the Magnus Chase Series) – by Rick Riordan

The Magnus Chase series is about this person named Magnus Chase who is a demi-god, son of Frey, the Norse god of summer. Magnus fights bad gods like Loki, the god of trickery. Magnus Chase is a cross world book; it splits between the Percy Jackson series and the Magnus Chase series. Magnus Chase meets Percy Jackson in this third book. The main point of this third book in the series is Magnus is on journey to find a mead that will allow him to defeat Loki in a battle of insults. An important character is Annabeth. Annabeth is Magnus’ cousin, and Annabeth’s boyfriend is Percy Jackson. In the third book of the series, Magnus searches around his uncle’s house to find a link between his uncle and Loki. He eventually finds a wolf lurking around his uncle’s house, and the wolf is trying to get inside a door. Wolves appear in all of the books of the series, and Magnus’ mom was killed by a wolf. Magnus and his friend Alex open the room for the wolf, and the wolf dashes into the room. Later on in the book, Magnus and Alex go on a quest for a mead that is supposed to give Magnus the powers to kill Loki. Magnus then meets up with his other friends at Valhalla, a hotel for people who have died in heroic battles. In the end, Magnus tries to challenge Loki to flighting, a battle of insults.

I thought this was a great book. One think I really liked about the book is it has a talking sword. The sword is really funny and brings a lot of annoyance to the characters in the book. The sword is often singing old music and bothering the characters. There is also a romance between two characters in the book that I really enjoyed. It was another thing to think about as I read about the adventure of Magnus; plus they were a great couple. I would recommend this book to anyone who liked the Percy Jackson series.

message 2: by Erika (new)

Erika Thorsen | 47 comments Mod
I've read the first two books of the series, but there's enough time between books that I keep forgetting the story/world. This review makes me want to read the third one, though. I remember the build up/hints to bringing Annabeth and Percy into the series in book 2, so it will be fun to finally see that brought to fruition! Plus, Riordan is so creatively funny, he's always entertaining to read. The battle of the insults sounds like a great example of his ingenuity and humor!

When you said "they were a great couple," which characters are you talking about?

message 3: by Cameron (new)

Cameron | 9 comments I really enjoy Rick Riordan books, I've read all the Percy Jackson books and his other Egyptian series. Riordan is very good at getting humor into books but when I tried reading the first Magnus Chase book I couldn't finish it. It didn't really click with me but you gave it a really good review so ill see if I can power through the boring parts and see if It will be worth it.

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 16 comments I think you did a good job on your report, I think you talk about different details in the book and I didn't know that Percy Jackson was in this book and I never read this book before and it sound excited.

message 5: by Jade (new)

Jade | 8 comments Erika wrote: "I've read the first two books of the series, but there's enough time between books that I keep forgetting the story/world. This review makes me want to read the third one, though. I remember the bu..."

the 2 characters alex and magnus

message 6: by Jade (new)

Jade | 8 comments Hannah wrote: "I think you did a good job on your report, I think you talk about different details in the book and I didn't know that Percy Jackson was in this book and I never read this book before and it sound ..."

i was surprised as well that he decided to do a crossover between norse and greek.

message 7: by Cruz (new)

Cruz Meza | 11 comments it sounds like a good book but why would the author put two different mythology's the Greeks and the Vikings I guess it would should like a good mash up

message 8: by Isaiah (new)

Isaiah | 11 comments its sounds like a good book

message 9: by AnaRose (new)

AnaRose Haley | 9 comments I feel like all the Riordan books follow a very similar storyline, they just change the character names. Do you feel like you're reading the same story over and over again?

message 10: by Jade (new)

Jade | 8 comments AnaRose wrote: "I feel like all the Riordan books follow a very similar storyline, they just change the character names. Do you feel like you're reading the same story over and over again?"

not entirely i mean yeah they sometimes do follow a similar storyline but they don't in this story but like what is different is they have norse gods instead of greek and kind of crossover to percy jackson and magnus chase.