Play Book Tag discussion

March 2018: Autobiography > Its a Long Story: My Life - Willie Nelson - 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Another autobiography with pretty decent writing, and Willie Nelson is one of those people that are funny without trying to be...at least to me.

Did you know, before the Willie Nelson we all think of today, he was a struggling song writer, and wrote Crazy, sang by Patsy Cline?

This is the story of Willie's love of music. I was surprised to find how much he was influenced by blues and jazz, crediting Sinatra as his favorite singer. Willie hasn't sang with the multitude of artists from different genres just to to stay relevant and just to make money, but become he loved the songs and the musicians. Apparently, Willie has a whole reggae album that I must look up and apparently he sings a song called "Cowboys are Frequently, Secretly Fond of Each Other". This book was very enlightening to Willie who I now see, not only as a musician and a song writer, but a poet. He revolutionized how country songs were written.

In this book he shares his faith and beliefs, which were interesting, and he advocates for the legalization of marijuana, but these are smaller portions of the book.

My respect and appreciation of Willie Nelson as a song writer, musician, singer, and artist has grown. If you are a music lover, not just country lover, you should read this book.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5764 comments Thanks, I've always enjoyed Willie and have seen him a number of times. It is clear just by watching him how much he enjoys what he is doing.