Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > What Are You Reading? [March 2018]

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7432 comments Mod
Tell us what you're reading! :)

message 2: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

It helps if we actually remember to post this. ;P

message 3: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Tell us what you're reading! :)"

ALL THE THINGS!

message 4: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Virginie wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "Tell us what you're reading! :)"

ALL THE THINGS!"

Haha right??

message 5: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I'm kind of all over the place this month. I'm reading:
Ancillary Justice
Unraveled
Nyxia Unleashed
The Last Mortal Bond
Eulalia!
Trapped

All good. Lol

message 6: by Virginie (last edited Mar 21, 2018 11:03AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments I'm reading right now (after lots of DNF):
The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter (audiobook)
The Liar's Key (audiobook)
Six of Crows
Arm of the Sphinx

I'm going to start Succubus Blues tonight or tomorrow, and dive into my brand new and shining copy of Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection soon :)

Oh, and I'm reading some mangas (Monster, Vinland Saga and Erased) on the side.

message 7: by Hailee (last edited Mar 25, 2018 02:10AM) (new)

Hailee | 2601 comments Ok so first of all I have already finished:

Ready Player One (buddy read)
Crucible of Gold (buddy read)
Valour (buddy read with another group)

I am currently reading:

Six of Crows (buddy read)
Gardens of the Moon (buddy read from JANUARY!!)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Still planning to get to this month:

Prince of Thorns (decided to read this last minute due to peer pressure - you know who you are!!!!!!!!!)
The Lost Hero (buddy read)
Persuasion (hopefully, if not will read in April)

message 8: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I keep meaning to get back to Gardens of the Moon to catch back up with the group. You're not alone! In fact you're father alone than me. :)

My copy of Lost Hero came in - I'm super excited to join that BR!

message 9: by Timelord Iain (last edited Mar 21, 2018 11:32AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments I did 20 Buddy Reads... mostly continuations from February plus Ready Player One, Kurtherian Gambit, some UF new releases, and Scorpio Races...

Just dropped Sookie Stackhouse, Legend of Drizzt, Sword of Truth, Black Gryphon, and Heroes of Olympus from my plans...

And finished out Nightside with The Bride Wore Black Leather on the side... sad to see the end of Shotgun Suzie and the gang, but won't miss the repetition...

message 10: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Virginnie, are you going to read Arcanum Unbounded all the way through? I've been meaning to do that. So far I've just read a couple if the stories that I hadn't before. Like Edgedancer.

message 11: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments C.P. wrote: "Virginnie, are you going to read Arcanum Unbounded all the way through? I've been meaning to do that. So far I've just read a couple if the stories that I hadn't before. Like Edgedancer."

I think so yes :) I'll probably go slowly and read one story at a time in between BRs. Want to join? :D

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1751 comments Virginie, aren't both of those audiobooks read by Tim Gerard Reynolds? I wouldn't be able to keep the stories straight.

message 13: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments C.P. wrote: "Virginnie, are you going to read Arcanum Unbounded all the way through? I've been meaning to do that. So far I've just read a couple if the stories that I hadn't before. Like Edgedancer."

I'll be finishing out the Elantris story in there after I do the Buddy Read this week... I think I read everything else in December...

message 14: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2601 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "I keep meaning to get back to Gardens of the Moon to catch back up with the group. You're not alone! In fact you're father alone than me. :)

My copy of Lost Hero came in - I'm super excited to joi..."

Lol that's good to know. I've kind of accepted that I probably won't catch up with the group now. I think one book ever three months or so is more my speed, especially since other books keep pushing there way in.

Yes I am really happy to finally be reading the Heroes of Olympus series I need some light hearted middle grade in my life right now. Glad you can find the time to fit it in :-)

message 15: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Chris wrote: "Virginie, aren't both of those audiobooks read by Tim Gerard Reynolds? I wouldn't be able to keep the stories straight."

Yes, they are. And yes, it's really confusing. I actually put The Liar's Key on hold 'cause I started wondering why Royce was drinking with vikings....

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1751 comments Yes, I can imagine. I could see Hadrian drinking with vikings though

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1751 comments But then I'd keep expecting to call one a "pixie" and ask for his "Gorydamn razor".

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Virginie (last edited Mar 21, 2018 11:51AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Wait, is Tim Gerard Reynolds reading Red Rising? I'm having a hard time imagining that.

(I'm so glad I got the paperback of Red Rising. I would have been so confused lol)

message 19: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1751 comments Virginie wrote: "Wait, is Tim Gerard Reynolds reading Red Rising? I'm having a hard time imagining that."

Yes, he is.

message 20: by Tammie (last edited Mar 21, 2018 12:16PM) (new)

Tammie | 4109 comments Already read this month:
Biome
Red Sister Excellent book. I'm excited that I just got an advanced copy of Grey Sister.
Jar of Hearts
Burn Bright Buddy Read
Stillhouse Lake

Currently reading:
A Beautiful Poison

Planning to read:
The Empress
Obsidio

message 22: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3555 comments Mod
I feel like I've been on the one book all month. Return of the Crimson Guard

message 23: by Sedat (new)

Sedat Yıldız | 263 comments I normally couldn't find time so wasn't a huge reader. But I intend to do a revolution this month! (with the help of so many buddy reads on here)

I started at Mar'10 so It's not as big as I wanted but I'll do much better when April comes :)

Small Worlds
Fire Sea
Serpent Mage
Promise of Blood (FBR)
The Hand of Chaos
Homeland (Trying to catch Drizzt FBR)
Exile
Sojourn
Elantris (FBR)
The Final Empire (Trying to catch Mistborn Era 2 FBR)

message 25: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4109 comments Sedat wrote: "I normally couldn't find time so wasn't a huge reader. But I intend to do a revolution this month! (with the help of so many buddy reads on here)

I started at Mar'10 so It's not as big as I wanted..."

Oh The Deathgate Cycle. Are you liking it? I read it a long time ago and mostly remember liking it.

message 26: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

That was a good one.

message 27: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Didn't see your comment until now, Virginnie! If you haven't started or are still reading I would love to join you for Arcanum Unbounded.

message 28: by Sedat (last edited Mar 27, 2018 03:17AM) (new)

Sedat Yıldız | 263 comments Tammie wrote: "Sedat wrote: "I normally couldn't find time so wasn't a huge reader. But I intend to do a revolution this month! (with the help of so many buddy reads on here)

I started at Mar'10 so It's not as b..."

I finished the 5th book. The first three was good enough but 4-5 seemed repetitive and didn't expand the story as much as first 3. Kinda delayed the last 2 books because I subscribed on so many FBR here like a maniac.

Generally I like the series and the idea behind it Massive Spoilers : (view spoiler)

The most irritating thing about this book for me is the book spend too much time on obviously expendable characters (like 2/3 of the book) and so little time on the main characters and plot. After 4th and 5th book I can already say that 3 to 5 books would be so much better for the series.

message 29: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments C.P. wrote: "Didn't see your comment until now, Virginnie! If you haven't started or are still reading I would love to join you for Arcanum Unbounded."

Haven't started yet. I cave and started re-reading Elantris so could we read it after that? My head will explode if I read two Cosmere works at the same time lol
Would sometime in April be OK with you? :)

message 30: by Tammie (last edited Mar 27, 2018 10:07AM) (new)

Tammie | 4109 comments Sedat wrote: "The most irritating thing about this book for me is the book spend too much time on obviously expendable characters (like 2/3 of the book) and so little time on the main characters and plot. After 4th and 5th book I can already say that 3 to 5 books would be so much better for the series..."

I agree with this. I remember wondering why we needed to focus on some of the characters at all. A shorter series would have been better. I liked the idea behind the series too. Now I'm trying to figure out what TV show you are talking about. I have a couple of ideas.

message 31: by Sedat (new)

Sedat Yıldız | 263 comments All I can say without spoiling for anyone else (maybe you can figure it out now) is that it reveals at the series' end. As I remembered correctly it was probably at the last episode.

message 32: by Gary (last edited Mar 29, 2018 10:12PM) (new)

Gary Sundell | 105 comments I finished The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5) by Robert Jordan The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan and I am currently reading Camber of Culdi (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #1) by Katherine Kurtz Camber of Culdi by Katherine Kurtz. I will finish it today sometime.

message 33: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3555 comments Mod
I'm currently reading Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk . So far I like the set up of the story.

message 34: by Dan (new)

Dan Six of Crows, halfway through but still dont know how I feel about it.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I’m reading Days of Blood and Starlight!