Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Solicitation for Book Sales

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by DianeMP (last edited Mar 21, 2018 10:51AM) (new)

DianeMP | 396 comments I received an email by someone named Brett Arquette, claiming to be a Goodreads author. In the email he makes a pitch to buy his book. It's quite a lengthy email as he includes supposed acolades praising his book.
Has anyone else received such an email? For the record, is this permitted? He has invaded my privacy and I do not like it. Is there anyway to keep this from happening again?

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Oh I hate that! It seems so desperate too. I just ignore them.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I wonder if anyone actually buys the book after receiving such a message. I doubt it!

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments DianeMP wrote: "I received an email by someone named Brett Arquette, claiming to be a Goodreads author. In the email he makes a pitch to buy his book. It's quite a lengthy email as he includes supposed acolades pr..."

I have not received one from Brett, but I have received these over the time period I've been on Goodreads. My guess is that Goodreads wants to charge for advertising and would not look upon the use of their message system for spam in a favorable light, so I suggest you report it.

Personally, I just ignore it because it is so infrequent. I feel these people are delusional. Not only won't I buy a book that is pitched to me, I don't even take free books if the author makes an unsolicited approach . . .

message 5: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments p.s. While the guy is on Goodreads, he is not designated as a Goodreads author as some are.

message 6: by Cynda (new)

Cynda Oh no. Brett Arquette is playing some kind of game. He emIl me and several others at another group I belong to a forward copy of his book. He said that his book fit our reading interests and would we please help him. Something like that.
Some people blocked him I believe, I just ignored him until her went away.

message 7: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2214 comments I’ve had a couple of approaches like that - I ignore them but have occasionally wondered if I should report them. If someone is asking for money, I’d definitely report it as the chances of it being a scam are considerable.

message 8: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1476 comments yep, me too

message 9: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I don’t think I e ever gotten anyone asking for me to buy A book, but certain,y have gotten requests to read or recommend to one of the groups I moderate. I don’t usually do anything.

I do feel we are lucky here at PBT because we don’t seem to have a problem with soliciting posts in the group (knock on wood).

message 10: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5641 comments Send an email to:
support (at) goodreads (dot) com

If you can forward the email you got so much the better.