Our Shared Shelf discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Announcements > WIN!! A copy of Heart Berries by Terese Marie Mailhot

Comments Showing 1-50 of 758 (758 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

message 1: by Jo, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (last edited Mar 28, 2018 01:15AM) (new)

Jo (jo_9) | 373 comments Mod
Dear OSS,
We are very pleased to give you the chance to win a copy of our current book selection: Heart Berries by Terese Marie Mailhot. We have 45 copies to give away (open worldwide).

For your chance to win a copy please can you post a sentence or two in the comments section below describing why you think it’s important for OSS to highlight diverse voices.

That's it! We will randomise the winners selected from the best answers given.

Good Luck!
The OSS Mods

[EDIT: This competition closes on April 3rd!]

message 2: by Sigourney (new)

Sigourney (psthebirdbites) | 4 comments It's important for OSS to highlight diverse books because feminism is not an exclusive club - it's about equality for all regardless of gender, sexuality, or race. Everyone deserves the chance to be represented and to be able to identify with people in the public realm - how can young people be expected to succeed without others of their gender, sexuality, or race showing that your success is defined only by your hard work and dedication, not by what's between your legs or the colour of your skin.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_spectator) This earth is so big, with so many different realities. Why should we limit ourselves to just one?

message 4: by Dana (new)

Dana (danabartelt) Highlighting diverse voices helps to promote understanding. I will never understand what it's like to be in another category, the best I can do is to learn more but talking to others and reading their stories.

Elizabeth, Jasmine & Rebeca Pizarro (discoveraworldthroughabook) | 10 comments I think it is important to see diversity because feminism is for everyone. It does not matter if a person is male, female, gay, straight, bisexual, transgender, poor, rich, middle class, etc. Everyone should feel included, represented and valued.

message 6: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Schnepper | 1 comments Our world is becoming increasingly diverse, yet increasingly polarized. So, of course, we need to get to know one another to understand our differences. But maybe even more importantly, it’s important to realize just how alike we all are.

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin (emekct) | 3 comments Different perspectives open minds and hearts, it's important to share them and seek them out in many formats including reading.

message 8: by Taryn (new)

Taryn (tarynor) | 1 comments Diversity is simply representative of reality and therefore must occur. Intersectionality is crucial to the full scope of feminism and ALL voices must be included so we can appreciate the variety of challenges faced by those who are not ourselves.

message 9: by Alice (new)

Alice (prftta) | 3 comments It is vitally important for everyone to feel heard, to feel valued, and to be respected. Too often diverse voices go unheard or unrecognized. Our Shared Shelf is a wonderful place to highlight those voices that might otherwise not be seen.

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cottam (catherinecottam) | 4 comments It’s important for OSS to highlight diverse voices because if it isn’t intersectional, it isn’t really feminism. It’s important for everyone to feel like their voice is valued and heard.

message 11: by Ash (new)

Ash (y2ash2212) | 5 comments It's very important for Our Shared Shelf to highlight diverse voices because they're the easiest to ignore. It's a disservice to them because they usually have something important and relevant to say.

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Kaye (cherylkaye) Because without diversity we stagnate and die.

Evolution requires change, and expanding our minds by reading books from a diverse range of writers helps change us at the very core of our being.

message 13: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Sanderson (bridget_sanderson) | 15 comments Much like I wouldn’t assume men could understand our struggles by turning a blind eye and not hearing our stories. I couldn’t possibly understand the struggles of women without the same background unless I were to educate myself and read or listen to their stories

message 14: by MacKenzie (new)

MacKenzie Hamon | 5 comments Reading is all about exploring characters and perspectives that aren't your own - empathizing in situations you know you'll never be in, learning compassion for people and places that are different from your own, exploring countries (real or imagined) that you'll never get to see. It's not even a question that those stories should be told from as many different voices as possible.

message 15: by Kath (new)

Kath Nicole | 2 comments Highlighting diverse voices ensures that readers have the ability to fully understand our world. Growing up, I lived in a very tight-knit community who generally had the same background and experiences. It wasn't until I went to a large California state school that I was introduced to people who had struggles that I could never imagine. Meeting, and becoming friends, with these people opened my eyes to how to world truly functions. Through their friendship I became a strong advocate for intersectional feminism. I deeply believe that diverse representation is essential for people to hear true and compelling stories of the lives of others. Through hearing stories from diverse backgrounds, people can lessen the hate in their hearts that they have for people different from them.

message 16: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Falbo Juresich | 1 comments OSS is a tool used to advocate for equality. In the fight for equality it’s equality for all races, all genders, all people. Diverse voices open the door to understanding what equality looks like for someone other than yourself. Seeing and hearing stories that are, on the surface, not relatable to you and your equality journey will impact who and what you fight for. It’s eye opening and it’s important to recognize that even in the fight for equality everyone is on unequal footing, some much more so than others.

message 17: by Monica (new)

Monica St. Dennis (omgitsmonica) | 1 comments Some feminists have a tendency to pull the wool over their own eyes. Reading diversely can help take it off again.

message 18: by Emma (new)

Emma Different voices help us see the world in a new way and find understanding and common ground with one another.

message 19: by Ivory (new)

Ivory (ivorystop) | 6 comments It is important to be heard, to be represented. And not limit ourselves to what we always see and what we always know.

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Aguilar | 1 comments It is important to highlight diverse voices because we live in a world full of different kinds of people that come from different backgrounds and follow different paths. Black Panther and Wonder Woman are perfect examples of eye- opening representation. The strength I felt watching the battle scene on Themyscira was unlike anything I have ever felt before. The same thing happened to millions of black people watching Black Panther. If OSS has the opportunity to make even one person feel the way I felt watching Wonder Woman, it would be a success.

message 21: by Lara (new)

Lara Pass (laralu97) | 1 comments I think it’s important because this world is all of ours. We are all people. We all have a voice and a story that should be heard. We should all be treated equally. We’re all human. Equality in all things is needed. It shouldn’t just be a small section if society that has their voices heard!

message 22: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jenbburdinie) | 10 comments Diverse voices are so important to highlight because they give life to a point of view that often goes unnoticed, forgotten, or intentionally squashed. The more women of color we can celebrate the better read and spoken we will be.

message 23: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Schutte | 8 comments Hi! I cannot wait to read this book! I believe that it is vital for OSS to highlight diverse voices because feminism and the struggle for equality is not limited by race, sexuality, gender, etc. The more perspectives readers across the globe encounter, the more we are enabled to work for change, and the more we become better, kinder, more understanding people.

message 24: by Severina (new)

Severina | 9 comments It is important to highlight diverse voices because everyone has a voice. Yes of course it is going to be diverse since there are so many different people, cultures and views on this planet . that is why it is so important. everyone should be heard and respected. You may even learn something if you open your eyes to all the diverse voices. How wonderful is that?

message 25: by Louise (new)

Louise | 3 comments It is very important for OSS to highlight diverse voices, as feminism is supposed to be inclusive and about equality for everyone, regardless of race, sexuality, religion or gender etc. It is important to let voices that aren't always heard be represented as well.

message 26: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 21, 2018 10:50AM) (new)

Jennifer | 1 comments I think that feminism should be about give women opportunities to be heard, I think the society needs more variation so we can be exposed to different kind of people and learn that this is what the society really should look like, that diversity should be the norm. We fear what we don't understand and we don't understand because we do not meet each other.

message 27: by Meghan Olinger (new)

Meghan Olinger | 3 comments It is so important to highlight diverse voices because the only way we can learn is by listening to others. We have to open our ears, our minds, and our hearts to those that have different points of view than ourselves in order to grow as individuals, as well as to effect change. The more we know about each other, the more we can understand and respect each other.

message 28: by Malayiiika (last edited Mar 21, 2018 10:37AM) (new)

Malayiiika | 1 comments It is important because, as Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie said, it is dangerous to only have access to a single storie. This World is complex and rich and there are as many stories as there are human beings. In order to better grasp of the complexities of the world, we need to read as many stories as posssible.

It is especially important to search for and to get access to stories from minorities (of any kind) because their voices cannot easily be heard in the mainstream medias. Yet without the stories from minorities, we ignore many aspects/versions of reality/life.

message 29: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Lyn | 1 comments If we don't recognize the voices of the people that share new perspectives then the voices we've heard will become white noise when we need to focus on change. I want to learn to be a better person and to do that I need to understand life through someone else's eyes to grasp their motivations. Books, stories, and concepts shared, especially in this group, can make a widespread change in perspective that can lead to forward progress.

message 30: by Kara (new)

Kara Shae (kara_shae) | 4 comments It's impossible to think that limiting a written narrative to a single gender, race, religion, sexuality, or other specific thing could give us the diverse history that is accurate. Without such diversity, especially in art like written word, future generations are going to have a very limited idea of what was actually happening. Inevitably, it erases stories that deserve to be heard.

message 31: by Sönne (new)

Sönne (soenne) | 8 comments The question is: why not?

message 32: by Veronica (last edited Mar 21, 2018 06:21PM) (new)

Veronica | 6 comments As a woman, I've found that it's always important for all voices to be given a seat at the table, and as a Hispanic one, doubly so. I grew up with very little (and at times, problematic) representation, so my experience aligned with the only things available to me through movies and television. I'm reminded of the quote, "You don't know what you're missing until it arrives" – seeing shows like "Jane the Virgin" and the reboot of "One Day at a Time" has given me a sense of belonging I didn't know could be achieved through media. That kind of inclusivity is something that should be extended to all perspectives, and in doing that, the conversation becomes a much more productive one.

(Sorry, brevity isn't my strong suit (: )

message 33: by Molly (new)

Molly (sunslut) | 1 comments It's important to fight for all women's rights, but we can't do that if people are still uneducated

message 34: by Casey (new)

Casey (casebounder) | 3 comments The more open and inclusive the fight for gender equality, the stronger and more pervasive it is. Divisive points only create weaknesses in the movement, so we have to be constantly vigilant against them, and instead passionately persistent in inclusion.

message 35: by Nina (new)

Nina (ladyaech) | 7 comments It’s important for OSS to highlight diverse voices because modern-day feminism is still not all-inclusive. The feminism we often see in the media focuses on the struggles of white middle-class women. While this is still important and still a part of feminism, it isn’t all that feminists fight for or what the movement is about. OSS is so well-known due to Emma’s popularity and influence, and it’s a great way to spread the message that feminism means equality for all, all around the globe.

message 36: by Mary (new)

Mary | 1 comments As we seek out and understand diversity, we come to see people as they are, rather than as products of social boundaries. To truly see someone is a precious gift that breaks down barriers and builds up tolerance and acceptance.

message 37: by Liz (new)

Liz Gnidovec (bizzerg) It is important to hear diverse voices as all we are born knowing is what is in our heads. Putting ourselves "in someone else's shoes" is the best way to foster understanding and equality.

message 38: by Rea (new)

Rea Bailey | 1 comments The world isn't just full of purple skittles , it's full of all types of different colours! Everyone should be open to this and everyone should learn diversity is amazing!

message 39: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1 comments Everyone is different! Isn't it important that we share and understand one another? Would love to win a copy of this book. It's not something I might pick up otherwise, but now that i know what it is I'm very interested!!! Thanks for this opportunity to keep us reading a diversity of titles from women all over the globe!

message 40: by Júlia (new)

Júlia Guerra | 1 comments History has been told too long by one voice, the winners, the people who oppressed and got the better hand on things... It's time for us to hear history from another point of view

message 41: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Cohen (izzyc90) | 6 comments It is important to highlight diversity because someone who is a feminist is fighting for equality, and that means ALL equality; not just between men and women, but all gender identities, all races, all religions, all sexual orientations, all shapes and sizes, all nationalities. We are all human, and this world wouldn't be as amazing as it is if we were all the same.

message 42: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Marien | 1 comments I have found that listening to different voices and opinions raises the quality of conversation and gives everyone insight into new perspectives. It teaches the value of different cultures, background, age and much more and enriches tour knowledge and understanding. So especially in OSS, listening to eachother gives you a deeper and better understanding but of the topic but alsof different interpretations.

message 43: by Diana (new)

Diana  Aurelia Stoica (parttimemuggle) | 4 comments It is important to highlight diverse voices because diversity is a fundamental aspect of humanity. However, people only tend to desire what has already been established as desirable and right by a majority of others, since we are sceptical beings afraid of change and things that are too different from ourselves.
Making fresh perspectives widely known through reading and talking about them is what brings about change and revolution. Thank you OSS for introducing me to books that I maybe wouldn't have come across on my own.

message 44: by Tadej (new)

Tadej Brunšek (tad3j) | 145 comments I was discovering in my life many different genres. From philosophy to entrepreneurship, from education to natural talents, from science to religion. There were so many genres that human did research on that confuses me completely. But when I was least expecting I came by with a book that did a major impression on me and left a big mark in my life. It is about how every human perceives his own truth. That everyone is living in his own world, yet because of a different path of thoughts, we perceive the same thing differently.

In my opinion, diversity is the key to accept different thinking people. To come to the important insight that there are different characters that we don't have to understand, just to accept. Diversity means nothing else as another piece of a puzzle in the whole picture to the truth that every individual wants to find. And when you find it, you stop searching. You can understand the others and accept them in a strange situation as may get. What is more, I believe that diversity does not exist. There only exist values of the 21st century, and who can obey the values, is considered as normal. But we should not forget that values that were predominating in the time of Kings and Queens - weddings, fights, heroism, and harsh games are still alive in people. Because those values are somehow oppressed and you need a different type of values (money) for it, those people start to reject themselves.

Diversity is here to recognize a difference between us, to recognize, that this is a part of bigger knowledge called truth - the way people are always striving to.

message 45: by Shanna (new)

Shanna  (shannabanaism) | 2 comments Diversity, especially within a feminist book group, is paramount because the entire aim of being a part of this book group is to give a platform for voices that would go otherwise unheard. Intersectional feminism should be the goal OSS hits upon with their selections.

message 46: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1 comments One of my favourite things about reading is having the opportunity to experience stories that are both similar and different to my own. Representation in all forms allows the reader to grow outside of what they know and to feel valued when the infinitely diverse stories of others are told.

message 47: by Alexa (new)

Alexa King | 2 comments It is very important to highlight diverse voices because feminist groups, such as Our Shared Shelf have the responsibility to look out for people of all genders, races, sexualities, etc. Many marginalized groups lack the voices that non-marginalized groups have, and thus, one must are be made aware of their own privilege so that they can put an end to these toxic behaviors.

message 48: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I love that this platform often centres voices that are not part of the dominant culture. That’s what using privilege in a good way looks like.

Also, I want to read stories that represent a variety of experiences, cultures, perspectives, lands.

message 49: by Madhu (new)

Madhu (madhu5) It is so easy to remain in our comfort zone, what we know and understand. It’s so important to highlight diverse voices and I appreciate OSS for bringing us different experiences and perspectives to be shared and celebrated. There is so much beauty and learning in diversity. Heart Berries is on my list and I can’t wait to read it.

message 50: by Emily (new)

Emily (goughdrop) | 2 comments Alone, the only perspective we have access to is our own; together, we can learn and grow and make progress by creating a network of perspectives. I think everyone who is part of this OSS community seeks to better our world, and by engaging with diverse voices we enable ourselves and each other to do just that.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.