Support for Indie Authors discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > Amazon free download promotion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Genevieve (new)

Genevieve Montcombroux | 66 comments Remake by Genevieve Montcombroux. I have booked a Kindle 5 days free download promotion starting Saturday 24 March. I haven't a clue what this will achieve, but I will let you know what happens when it is over.

I read all the threads but can't remember if anyone who did it gave an opinion on the results.

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 364 comments I think it's been discussed fairly often; each author's results will probably vary, but there seems to be a general trend (which I've observed myself):

1. If it's your first and only book, giving it away for free is usually a waste of time. Most free books are never read.

2. A free book that's first in a series can boost sales of the rest, but you still need to advertise the free promotion heavily. Based on my experience, you need thousands (or tens of thousands) of free downloads to get enough sell-through to the other books.

As always, your own experience may be different.

message 3: by Genevieve (new)

Genevieve Montcombroux | 66 comments Thanks, Ken. I have several books though not in a series as well as a non-fiction. I'm not really expecting miracles but had to try it.

message 4: by Mason (new)

Mason Hawk | 28 comments If you write erotica, the places that promote might not include your type book. In that case the 5 day free would be an ok choice.

For Reg Stories
Like above, those I talk to said it works better if it's a series. If it is you need to have the next book or books in the series already up. They will have forgotten they read the first free book if they have to wait 3 months for the next.

If you have a big social media following, that's when I think Kindle free works best. "Follow my 'whatever' page to be updated on free download days. Check in regularly so you don't miss out" that kind of thing.

Just my 2 cents, which is more than I made from my Kindle free promotion...

message 5: by Genevieve (new)

Genevieve Montcombroux | 66 comments Good tip on promoting a series, Mason. At the moment I only have romance single books. I'm also working on a series but won't let the first book out until the series is complete and edited. I'd hate to be writing book #3 and discover book #1 needed to foreshadow #3 but it's too late because #1 is published.

message 6: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 397 comments Genevieve wrote: "Good tip on promoting a series, Mason. At the moment I only have romance single books. I'm also working on a series but won't let the first book out until the series is complete and edited. I'd hat..."

That’s why I think it’s imperative to write the full story, no matter the number of novels, before you publish any. You’ll still miss some foreshadowing or change your mind, but it will tie together better. I’m only talking about completing all manuscripts. Obviously each novel can be published with some separation time. I’m sure I’m in the minority with this opinion, but it’s akin to “measure twice and cut once.”

message 7: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) We have an entire folder dedicated to promotion results. Locking this thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.