Seabiscuit: An American Legend Seabiscuit discussion

The best underdog story?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Duane W. Stockton Americans, as a whole, love the underdog-one who has to work hard, overcome innumerable obstacles and fight their way to the top. I've often wondered if this is the best of the underdog stories?

Beverly Dowdell Great read and insight into the horse racing industry. Loved the movie then read the book to get the back story.

Carrie Seabiscuit was definitely a special horse. I really liked Cali Chromes story too. Too bad he didn't pull off the TC.

message 4: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Swike Yes Bev, I did the same, saw the movie, then read the book.

Ginger Marcinkowski Ms. Hildebrand's books show such compassion for the subject, whether human or not. She is a meticulous researcher and can tell a really good story! Her background material for Seabiscuit was eye-opening! I jumped right from this book to Unbroken and was not disappointed!

Steve Goodman The only one I can think of is " Miracle on Ice" which was actually a bigger upset.As with Seabiscuit , the movie was a decent job .

Anthony O'Brian One of the ALL TIME best books that I have ever read! So, far it is the best TRUE underdog story I have read.

message 8: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Hoffmann Laura Hildebrand does a good job of keeping someone like me (ADDish) interested. I find that any author who can do this must be good. I couldn't put it down. "Seabiscuit" reminds me of A. Scott Berg's "Lindbergh." Same class of literature.

http://www.amazon.com/Boy-Box-America...

message 9: by Don (new) - rated it 4 stars

Don One of the best underdog books ever - made me cry at the end. NOTE: if you want to see some of sea biscuits races, many of them are on You Tube. NOTE: movie was not so good - not surprising - they rarely are.