The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge discussion

Tender Is the Night
This topic is about Tender Is the Night
Book Discussions > Tender is the Night

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L (new)

L (lauraactually) | 236 comments Mod
Tender is the Night will be our April group read. Your leader will be Sonne so look out below for her posts. In the meantime, let us know if you'll be joining in by commenting below!

The Annotated | 25 comments Finally...I have been waiting to read this one in a group setting for ages.I have read it before but am really looking forward to reread it!

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments I am looking forward to it. Thanks for picking this one. Excited.

Frau Spätzle (soenne) | 145 comments Mod
Looking forward to reading this book with you (first time for me!).
Those of you who have already read it, how do you feel about reading it again?
Those of you who haven't read it, tell us something about your expectations

The Annotated | 25 comments I actually prefer it to the great Gatsby..

Deborah Franklin | 1 comments The book was published in four issues in Scribners from January to April 1934, so we are reading it at the perfect time. Count me in!

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth | 1 comments I am looking forward to reading this with a group!

Rebecca (becstokes) | 38 comments I adored Gatsby, so I'm really excited to read Tender is the Night.

I was really pumped to get my hands on a copy ASAP and checked my library online and saw there was a large print copy on the shelf, so I raced over but couldn't find it anywhere! I spoke to the library staff, who said it had last been checked out a year ago, but seemed to have *poof* disappeared! They have ordered me another copy, but now I have to wait! :)

(I don't need a large print copy, but after just finishing A Tale of Two Cities in the tiniest print ever, my eyes could do with a rest! Man, that was a slog! Who steals a large print copy of a book anyway?! They are usually such boring, ugly covers!!!!)

message 9: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments I'm excited to read this book for the first time. I'm not a Fitzgerald fan, but I've heard that this is his masterpiece. We shall see.

message 10: by L (new)

L (lauraactually) | 236 comments Mod
I LOVE FSF and am so excited to read this one.. Great Gatsby is one of my favorites. I am actually hoping GG gets chosen as the Quarter 2 re-read, because I think it would be great to read 2 of his works side by side.

message 11: by Karina (new)

Karina (yabookgirl) Excited to read this book

Cindy Walsh (cindyrunner) | 43 comments First time reading a Fitzgerald book, so am excited to read it.. I have been reading a few reviews here on Goodreads and some of them mentioned this is a depressing read, or they really thought it a great read... So can't wait to find out what I think about it..

message 13: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa | 1 comments I reread Gatsby a few months ago since my assigned high school reading. It will be fun to read the two so close together.

message 14: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha (shoumani) | 3 comments I have only read The Great Gatsby but that was a few years ago in High School and I didn't really enjoy it since it was a forced read. However, I am excited to give Fitzgeralds writing another chance!

message 15: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (miniguinea73) I’ve only read Gatsby, which I loved. I don’t care for Fitzgerald as a person, but the story sounds interesting. I am going to see if my library has a copy

message 16: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire  | 1 comments Just putting my hand up to say I'm reading this too!

So how's everyone getting along? I have to admit I haven't started yet - some unexpected stuff got in the way with my reading... But I'm hopefully to be able to at least start reading this week!

Any thoughts on the book so far? Any unresolved questions? :)

cherri (cherricheetah) Like many others, this is only my second book by this author. I read The Great Gatsby a few years ago in 11th grade and liked it. That being said, this book? Boring! I wish it was over already; I just finished book 2. The only parts I like are the ones about the romance between Rosemary & Dick - everything else is bland and I don't care about it at all.

Debbie (debblett) I’ve just started, I’m six chapters in but really struggling to get into it so far

Windy | 44 comments I just finished this book and I will have to admit that I was not thrilled with it. I was having too much trouble trying to connect to the characters, and find likeable traits.

Jennifer Lindsay  | 29 comments I'm listening to the audio book, since my library doesn't have a copy, and, so far, I am enjoying it. I'm up to Chapter 6.

Cindy Walsh (cindyrunner) | 43 comments I'm only on page 122 right now and I am struggling with it also. Trying very hard to follow all the characters in it. It seems to jump around a lot with Dick and friends. I did laugh a little bit with chapter 21 and 22 when Dick was jealous with Rosemary and Fitzgerald kept inserting "Do you mind if I pull down the curtains?" Referring to Rosemary having a fling with a Bill Hillis... Pretty funny to me... Hopefully, though, the story will go somewhere eventually..

message 23: by Elba (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments I finished Tender is the Night. I really enjoyed it. This Fitzgerald novel deals in human relationships and the tragic degeneration of a character. Dick is glamorous bigger than life and then layer by layer he falls from grace. It’s a bit nostagic and sad. This novel is also comlicated by the mental illness component in the female character, Nicole (possibly mirrored Zelda a bit?). The young and the beautiful in Rosemary. I like that it is told in three parts, Rosemary’s, Dick Diver’s and Nicole’s perspectives. The setting and time period....Europe in the 1920’s appeals to me. Beautiful prose and classic Fitzgerald. I love this quote “I don’t ask you to love me always like this, but I ask you to remember. Somewhere inside me there’ll always be the person I am to-night.”

Jennifer Lindsay  | 29 comments Elba,
That is what I'm enjoying about it as well. I'm not as far as you, so I didn't read your full comment. I just started Book 2.

Jennifer Lindsay  | 29 comments I just finished reading this, I went in without a clue what I was getting into. I melted into a puddle, devoured by FSF's breathtaking prose and depiction of his characters' flaws and humanity. I'm not sure I'd have loved it as much in my youth. Does anyone else feel like your age/experience contributed to your liking or disliking of the book?

Debbie (debblett) I finished it a few days ago. I'm usually reluctant to say I hated something, but my husband reminded me I had turned to him more than once while reading it to say 'man I hate this book'!

The Annotated | 25 comments I didn't have the time to finish it...midterms suck!!But I am actually enjoying it. Why did you guys hate it so much?

Meret wrote: "I didn't have the time to finish it...midterms suck!!But I am actually enjoying it. Why did you guys hate it so much?"

That's a good question, Meret! It seems our group is quite divided on this book - there are those who love it and those who hate it.
Does anyone know Rory's opinion on it?

message 29: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments I cant seem to get into it.

message 30: by Cathy (new)

Cathy I have put this to one side for now and will probably pick up again next year. Having sine read The Great Gatsby, I hope to find it easier to get into the writing style. Maybe next time I'll try the physical book rather than the Audible version - I kept getting distracted.

Debbie (debblett) Meret wrote: "I didn't have the time to finish it...midterms suck!!But I am actually enjoying it. Why did you guys hate it so much?"

It was a real slog for me to get through. I couldn't really connect with any of the characters, and I didn't like the way it kept jumping between different perspectives.

message 32: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments Hurray! I have completed book 1. I'm not really connected to any of the characters yet, but the story line is interesting so far. It's a bit jumpy though, I feel like this would make a good movie, but I can tell he was drunk when he was writing. At least Hemingway could keep his stuff straight!!

message 33: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments Elba wrote: "I finished Tender is the Night. I really enjoyed it. This Fitzgerald novel deals in human relationships and the tragic degeneration of a character. Dick is glamorous bigger than life and then layer..."

I finally finished reading the book. It took me 3 months y'all!!
I have to say it makes me think and I am tempted to watch the movie. I also really agree with what Elba wrote in her review above.
I had a really hard time getting into the book and I didn't like any of the characters. I always want to like Fitzgerald's writing, but somehow he always falls short for me. I just can't feel sorry for the poor little rich girl. He always writes about rich people and their problems. I know that everyone has problems, but it doesn't make them very likable and a lot of the things that they do is just so stupid. Apparently, you do not have to be very smart to be rich, but then again just look at the Kardashians. (Not sure if I spelled that right...)
All in all I'm glad I'm finished with this book and I can move on to something else.