Horror Aficionados discussion

The Heavens Rise
This topic is about The Heavens Rise
Buddy Reads > The Heavens Rise

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 253 comments The Heavens Rise by Christopher Rice

So far it's

Ryan (Valancourt)
Kirstin

Anyone else that wants to join is welcome.

Kirstin | 415 comments Yay! I've been wanting to read a book set in the Louisiana bayou for a while. I've never read Christopher Rice before, so I'm excited to give him a try!

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 253 comments Oh, good! I was embarrassed to say that this is my first Christopher Rice book. I have a feeling I'll be a fan, but I just haven't gotten around to reading his books yet. They all look good.

I grew up in the Louisiana bayou. This may be like watching a home video. Scary! :)

Myst | 401 comments It sounded interesting when AR was promoting it going into paperback the other week.

Don't know if/when I might pick it up (or if libraries even have it).

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 253 comments My library had three copies of it so that's where I got mine.

message 6: by K4tie (new) - added it

K4tie (nonzombieleader) | 484 comments I'm in too! :)

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 253 comments The more the scarier! :)

Kirstin | 415 comments Valancourt Books wrote: "Oh, good! I was embarrassed to say that this is my first Christopher Rice book. I have a feeling I'll be a fan, but I just haven't gotten around to reading his books yet. They all look good.

I gre..."

Cool! You can let us know how authentic the book is. :)

Kirstin | 415 comments Myst wrote: "It sounded interesting when AR was promoting it going into paperback the other week.

Don't know if/when I might pick it up (or if libraries even have it)."

I hope you can find a copy and join in! :)

Kirstin | 415 comments K4tie wrote: "I'm in too! :)"

Yay! :)

message 11: by Valancourt Books (last edited Jul 25, 2014 03:30PM) (new)

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 253 comments Okay, I've read up through the first journal entry and first section titled Marshall.

So far, pretty impressed. If you're interested in getting a feel for the book, I suggest reading the first journal entry in Kindle's preview. You'll love it. And it's creepy as hell.

http://www.amazon.com/Heavens-Rise-Ch...

First thought on Marshall's section:

(view spoiler)

I love how Southern authors like to use actual locations, seemingly more so than other authors I've read. If you want to get an idea of the locale in Uptown New Orleans, here's some images of the Lafayette Cemetery that's mentioned and Prytania St. Google street view will let you walk around the neighborhood. :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=lafay...

message 12: by Myst (new) - rated it 3 stars

Myst | 401 comments 1 library I use is having a reading program until aug 8, their copy is checked out.

After that I'm returning to my main library which has 2 copies (none of which were checked out last night.) So I'll be able to snag a copy, just not likely right away.

Kirstin | 415 comments The prologue is super creepy! And this book is a lot darker than I had anticipated. :) I'm up to page 58.

(view spoiler)

I'm enjoying this book a lot so far! Thanks for the links Ryan. It is interesting to see where this all takes place

Kirstin | 415 comments Valancourt Books wrote: "Okay, I've read up through the first journal entry and first section titled Marshall.

So far, pretty impressed. If you're interested in getting a feel for the book, I suggest reading the first jou..."

I'm dating myself here, but isn't Lafayette cemetery where they shot the crazy acid scene in Easy Rider?

message 15: by K4tie (new) - added it

K4tie (nonzombieleader) | 484 comments I've seen that movie recently (as in this year) and I don't know where the acid scene was shot, but I thought it was during mardi gras. I looked it up, it was St. Louis Cemetery in New Orleans. Link below :)

http://www.avclub.com/video/new-orlea...

message 16: by Valancourt Books (new)

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 253 comments I've never seen Easy Rider! I'll have to watch it. No idea any of the scenes were shot in the St Louis Cemetery. :)

Kirstin | 415 comments It's an awesome movie! Thanks for looking that up! :)

message 18: by K4tie (new) - added it

K4tie (nonzombieleader) | 484 comments It's worth watching at least once. Shitty ending, but the movie before it seems like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas but with motorcycles. Probably very much like most of the 60's actually were, but I can only imagine. :)

(Hippies, free love, drugs, freedom, "one last deal"... Etc)

Kirstin | 415 comments I keep having to remind myself that this book is set in 2005/13. It has an older feel, in terms of the racism and homophobia.

message 20: by K4tie (new) - added it

K4tie (nonzombieleader) | 484 comments I started reading this a bit ago and I don't remember the pool being significant. I do have to admit though this first journal entry served it's purpose to "hook" me as a reader. It was sufficiently dark and secretive enough to make me want to keep reading. :)

Kirstin | 415 comments Yeah, the first line is great. What was down there!?? How does putting in a swimming pool destroy your life?

It's all keeping me turning the pages!

message 22: by K4tie (new) - added it

K4tie (nonzombieleader) | 484 comments I must confess that New Orleans has always had a secret magic and drawing attraction for me. Not just the potential for a Voodoo Priestess to pop up in the story, but he heat and the danger that is a living breathing nightmare coursing through the water. I've never been, and I know the French Quarter is but a shadow of what it once was, but I can't help but romanticize what I imagine it must be like.

Latasha (latasha513) | 10840 comments Mod
I'd like to join this bubby read, please. my library has the book in so I can pick it up Monday. this will be my first read of Christopher rice but I do love his mama!! I look forward to seeing his take on a place she views as so enchanting. does he think it as wonderful? I've never been to LA but I'd like to go one day.

Valancourt Books wrote: "I've never seen Easy Rider! I'll have to watch it. No idea any of the scenes were shot in the St Louis Cemetery. :)"

easy rider is really, really good. I watched it on crackle. I don't know if it's still on there, though.

message 25: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 899 comments Kirstin wrote: "Yeah, the first line is great. What was down there!?? How does putting in a swimming pool destroy your life?

It's all keeping me turning the pages!"

So, I've ordered a copy. Hope you guys are still reading in a few days.

message 26: by Valancourt Books (new)

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 253 comments Katy wrote: "So, I've ordered a copy. Hope you guys are still reading in a few days. "

I'm only on page 75 so you still have plenty of time!

message 27: by K4tie (new) - added it

K4tie (nonzombieleader) | 484 comments I'm on chapter 7, not reading on kindle so don't know what page #. I'm sure I'll still be reading for a bit. :)

message 28: by Valancourt Books (new)

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 253 comments About to start chapter 10

(view spoiler)

I'll get through a bunch more this afternoon!

Kirstin | 415 comments Valancourt Books wrote: "About to start chapter 10

[spoilers removed]

I'll get through a bunch more this afternoon!"

I agree (view spoiler)

Kirstin | 415 comments K4tie wrote: "I must confess that New Orleans has always had a secret magic and drawing attraction for me. Not just the potential for a Voodoo Priestess to pop up in the story, but he heat and the danger that is..."

Same for me, Katie. I've always been drawn to stories and movies that take place in New Orleans. I would love to go someday and see the city for myself.

I picked my copy up today. i'll start it later today. i'll still be reading when you get yours Katy :)

message 32: by Valancourt Books (new)

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 253 comments I'm up to chapter 20 (p. 180) and the events and characters keep getting weirder!

(view spoiler)

I'll get through the next 30-40 pages tomorrow.

Kirstin | 415 comments I'm at chapter 22 and the terror does not let up! Marshall is scaring me to death!

(view spoiler)

Ryan (view spoiler)

I can't wait to see how this all ties in to the prologue.

message 34: by Valancourt Books (new)

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 253 comments Just getting into chapter 25. Oh my!

(view spoiler)

Ya, I'm still wondering what all of it has to do with the prologue too. Can't wait.

Kirstin | 415 comments Valancourt Books wrote: "Just getting into chapter 25. Oh my!

Oh my! is right! This is getting so crazy. (view spoiler)

Ya, I'm still wondering what all of it has to do with the prologue too. Can't wait.

I think you're one chapter away from finding out! :)

message 36: by Valancourt Books (new)

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 253 comments Awesome! I'll catch up another chapter or two tonight then so I can find out. :)

I'm up to chapter 18. yay for short chapters! it's not what I expected and I don't think it's scary yet.

message 38: by Valancourt Books (new)

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 253 comments Latasha wrote: "I'm up to chapter 18. yay for short chapters! it's not what I expected and I don't think it's scary yet."

I'm finding it to be more majorly creepy than scary, but it's working for me!

Kirstin | 415 comments Finished this last night. I have to say I was impressed! I had never heard of Christopher Rice(I've never read Anne Rice either) and I went into this read with zero expectations. I saw Ryan suggest the buddy read and read the words 'Louisiana Bayou' and said 'Yup!'. :)

I found the premise of the book scary and thought Marshall was chillingly evil.

(view spoiler)

message 40: by Valancourt Books (new)

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 253 comments I'm reading through the end tonight. I just finished chapter 29 which kinda threw some more craziness in!

message 41: by Valancourt Books (new)

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 253 comments Kirstin wrote: "Finished this last night. I have to say I was impressed! I had never heard of Christopher Rice(I've never read Anne Rice either) and I went into this read with zero expectations. I saw Ryan suggest..."

Finished this last night and recommend it!

Kristin, I just loved the idea of the (view spoiler), too!

(view spoiler)

:)

Kirstin | 415 comments Once I reached a certain point, I couldn't stop reading. The book, for me, touched on a lot of fears. (view spoiler)

I had fun reading this! I hope everyone still posts their thoughts as they read. :)

message 43: by Myst (new) - rated it 3 stars

Myst | 401 comments My hold came in a day early so I'll probably start tonight. I want to keep trying to read another book but it's not drawing me in to really plug away at it.

message 44: by K4tie (new) - added it

K4tie (nonzombieleader) | 484 comments Myst this one is totally worth it! :)

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 220 comments I have this on Mt TBR shelf...The Snow Garden is a favorite!

May read soon...

message 46: by Valancourt Books (new)

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 253 comments Cathie wrote: "I have this on Mt TBR shelf...The Snow Garden is a favorite!

May read soon..."

I think that will be the next of his that I read. It looks really good!

ok I finished this book and I'm sorry to be the party pooper but I didn't care for it very much. I didn't really like any of the characters. the story was ok. sorry! but I had fun reading with everyone!

Kirstin | 415 comments That's too bad Latasha. Hope you enjoy your next read!

thanks. my next one is Bird Box for the august read. everyone seems to really be enjoying it.

Kirstin | 415 comments Me too. I'm liking it so far.

« previous 1