Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Merging author writing under two names?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (anzlitlovers) | 108 comments Hello, I'm not sure if I'm putting this question in the right place, but here goes anyway.
Australian author Eva Horning used to write under the name Eva Sallis. She changed her name and now writes under Horning.
Her profile already includes this information but is there any way to merge her book list? Or is this something that should not be done?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41972 comments Mod
https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/4...
In some cases, a book may be originally published under a pen name, but then later reissued under the author's original name. When this happens, the author listed for any and all editions should be the author name the book was originally published under - so the reissued edition would need its primary author name changed to the originally published pen name, with the additional name added as secondary for all editions with it on the cover. Doing this will allow the various editions to be combined.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (anzlitlovers) | 108 comments rivka wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/4...

In some cases, a book may be originally published under a pen name, but then later reissued under the author's original name...."
Thanks Rivka, I did read this, but this situation is not quite the same. I don't know the author's personal history but the situation is more like, perhaps, a woman reverting to her maiden name after originally publishing under her married name. or having published under her maiden name and then (i.e. now) under a married name or a newly chosen pseudonym. It might be that author permission is required to combine the two?

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6177 comments for GR that is no difference the rule applying is still the same.

And if the profiles are merged the people having the other name on their books won't be able to find them anymore.
So both names have to stay as long as none encompasses the other completely.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23160 comments Has she re-issued any books under both names or are they each under their own?

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (anzlitlovers) | 108 comments Thanks for clarifying this, best to leave things as they are...