The Sword and Laser discussion

2018 MARCH MADNESS FINALE!!! Vote ended March 27

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1151 comments Mod
WOW. The Soulless Way of Kings battle was INSANE. Way of Kings led early but Soulless came back and led by up to 20 but then in the last two days Way of Kings closed the gap and led by two with half a day left. However Soulless rallied to win by 3 in the last few hours. An insane upset and well fought.

Also We Are Legion won too.

ONWARD TO THE FINALE!

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2354 comments Artist's rendering of Bob

https://twitter.com/jackallencomics/s...

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2354 comments Many artist's renderings of Alexia

https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/4195...

message 4: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Mar 20, 2018 10:30PM) (new)

Tassie Dave | 3542 comments Mod
I thought someone would have linked to the poll by now ;-)

Link to March Madness Finale below.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 5: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Oops. I guess since it’s just the one poll I forgot. Thanks Tassie Dave!

message 6: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 588 comments I've read all of Parasol Protectorate, Finishing School and I'm all caught up on the Custard Protocol... These books are just fun. I'm voting for Soulless just so I can enjoy some discussion with everyone!

message 7: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2481 comments Looks like people voted for the easy read in both cases :(

message 8: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 173 comments I am happy with both choices.

message 9: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I'm really glad Soulless won! Yay Gail!

message 10: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8494 comments I was CERTAIN this would end up as WoK versus Bob, and I was going to vote for the wee little book over the leg crusher, but now I’m torn, TORN I say!

message 11: by Tina (new)

Tina (javabird) | 692 comments It won? I thought the final poll results weren't revealed until 3/27.

message 12: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2354 comments Tina wrote: "It won? I thought the final poll results weren't revealed until 3/27."

I think many are surprised the Soulless won over Way of Kings, but now it's Alexia vs Bob for the April pick, winner to be revealed 3/27

message 13: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 355 comments I'll be happy with either of these :)

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (apsalar) | 43 comments Would have liked WoK to battle Bob, but now the choice was easy for me. Already read Soulless so happy to talk about it, but have Bob on my TBR list so hoping for that!

message 15: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1140 comments Both look good to me but I already have Soulless through a Kindle deal so that's how I'm voting.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I’m going to start reading Way of Kings out of spite.

message 17: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

I don't mind which book wins. I loved Bob and think it will make for some fun discussions.

If Soulless wins it looks like a fun read as well.

Jason wrote: "I’m going to start reading Way of Kings out of spite."

I finished it last week. It is well worth reading. I have just started the 2nd book in the series.

message 18: by Scott (new)

Scott | 86 comments Bought bob today, so I will read it regardless of the winner. And I just got oathbringer in the mail... I think my previous thoughts about WoK being too long were a bit silly. It's a reading group, so complaining about reading too much is pretty dumb.

message 19: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3958 comments Let's read both! They're both short. It can even be a crossover. We'll say Bob has a sensorium where AI entities from the Parasolverse live, and Lord Akeldama has a section in his library populated with books provided by a certain Mr. H.G. Wells.

message 20: by Colin (new)

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 494 comments Jason wrote: "I’m going to start reading Way of Kings out of spite."

LOL. I've already started on 'Phlebas' which I last read 25 years ago. It just seemed like a good time to re-visit the Culture series.

But, I also acquired 'Bob' and the first sequel in a recent Audible deal, so I'll definitely be reading that too.

(Also read Soulless before, but I'll refresh my memory of that if it should win the vote. Really it's just been a win-win tournament!)

message 21: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Mar 22, 2018 09:06AM) (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6785 comments Mod
Results from Round 3:

Participation shot back up to levels above even the first round by about 30 people.

View the full bracket here

Tournament Statistics
Total Votes Cast: 4,744
Average Votes Cast: 339
Book With Most Votes: The Way of Kings (222 Votes) (Round 1)
Match-up With Most Votes: The Way of Kings vs. Soulless (387Votes) (Round 3)
Largest Win: We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (99 Votes) (Round 1)
Smallest Win: The Way of Kings (2 Votes) (Round 2)
Average Win: 30 votes

Round 3 Statistics
Total Votes Cast: 764
Average Votes Cast: 379
Book With Most Votes: We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (214 Votes)
Match-up With Most Votes: The Way of Kings vs. Soulless (387Votes)
Largest Win: We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (51 Votes)
Smallest Win: Soulless (3 Votes)
Average Win: 27 (though this stat is pretty meaningless this round)

Round 2 Statistics
Total Votes Cast: 1,244
Average Votes Cast: 311
Book With Most Votes: Consider Phlebas (174 Votes)
Match-up With Most Votes: The Way of Kings vs. Theft of Swords (322 Votes)
Largest Win: Consider Phlebas (37 Votes)
Smallest Win: The Way of Kings (2 Votes)
Average Win: 21.5

Round 1 Statistics
Total Votes Cast: 2,736
Average Votes Cast: 342
Book With Most Votes: The Way of Kings (222 Votes)
Match-up With Most Votes: The Way of Kings vs. All the Crooked Saints (351 Votes)
Largest Win: We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (99 Votes)
Smallest Win: Shades of Milk and Honey (3 Votes)
Average Win: 36 votes

Sword Bracket
---------------------------------

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (192 Votes)
vs.
Soulless by Gail Carriger (195 Votes)

Winner: Soulless
Total Votes: 387
Margin of Victory: 3

Laser Bracket

We Are Legion (We Are Bob) by Dennis E. Taylor (214 Votes)
vs.
Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks (163 Votes)

Winner: We Are Legion (We Are Bob)
Total Votes: 377
Margin of Victory: 51

message 22: by Rob, Roberator (new)

I actually went 2-0 in round 3. I love Way of Kings and think any fans of epic fantasy should read it. I just don't want to read it again next month.

Then again if Bob wins, I won't reread that either since I only read it last year.

Personally I'm pulling for Bob, but I'm fine with whichever wins.

Oh and it looks like we're on track to break 5,000 total votes for the tournament. I'll probably do some year to year comparison stats after the final round. Participation is definitely way up this year.

message 23: by Caitlin (last edited Mar 22, 2018 08:18AM) (new)

Caitlin | 355 comments Jason wrote: "I’m going to start reading Way of Kings out of spite."

I'm sure there are others of us that have already read it or plan on reading books that were knocked out, if you're interested in making a thread to discuss it.

message 24: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3958 comments Rob wrote: "Round 3 Statistics
Largest Win: Consider Phlebas (37 Votes)"

*cough*

Did you mean We Are Legion (We Are Bob)?

message 25: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Copy paste fail..

message 26: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1050 comments I love TWoK, but I voted against at every stage because I want to read something new/different. Many of my preferred books got knocked out early on, but I’m fairly happy with the final showdown!

message 27: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3958 comments ^ I am pulling for Bob but will reread both. Maybe have an alternate thread whichever wins. They're both great!

message 28: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2481 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Rob wrote: "Round 3 Statistics
Largest Win: Consider Phlebas (37 Votes)"

*cough*

Did you mean We Are Legion (We Are Bob)?"

Sounds like Russian interference!! Re-vote needed and everyone must be in a concrete bunker surrounded by a Faraday cage :)

message 29: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8494 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Let's read both! They're both short. It can even be a crossover. We'll say Bob has a sensorium where AI entities from the Parasolverse live, and Lord Akeldama has a section in his library populated with books provided by a certain Mr. H.G. Wells. "

Nice.

To quote Muldoon from Jurassic Park, “Clever girl.”

(Although he was talking about female velociraptors, and I’m fairly certain you are neither of those, the sentiment stands. #nerdsplanation)

message 30: by William (new)

William | 405 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Let's read both! ..."

To be honest I was planning to anyway. I've got copies primed and ready to go.

You can imagine how happy I am that they actually reached the final.

(To be fair I was rooting for other books - but only because I'd already read them, and wanted others to share in the glory of the House of Suns :-) )

message 31: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3958 comments House of Suns is pretty amazing. I enjoyed Revelation Space but it had that "ripped from Niven" feel to it. House of Suns is all Reynolds.

message 32: by Rick (last edited Mar 23, 2018 01:33PM) (new)

Rick | 2793 comments I voted for Soulless late because I wanted to keep my options open and didn't want to read WoK (length, not dislike of Sanderson).

I grabbed We Are Legion last night and while looking at the Carriger accidentally clicked the One Click button next to Soulless. I guess I'm reading both.

Well, Soulless. I finished We Are Legion already. Hrm... does this mean I should vote for Soulless? Maybe if it's a close race I should auction my vote.... :)

message 33: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1335 comments I certainly think this is a great excuse to read both...

message 34: by Rick (last edited Mar 23, 2018 02:38PM) (new)

Rick | 2793 comments By the way in case anyone is considering reading both but put off by the thought of buying them both... the ebook of We Are Legion is $4 on Amazon, Soulless is $5. So it's basically two books for what one would normally cost.

message 35: by William (new)

William | 405 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "House of Suns is pretty amazing. I enjoyed Revelation Space but it had that "ripped from Niven" feel to it. House of Suns is all Reynolds."

Strangely enough I read Revelation Space, found out that he'd borrowed some of Niven's ideas and realised I'd only ever read one book by Mr Niven. As a result I went on a bit of a Niven reading spree, so that worked out well. I agree though that House of Suns is Reynolds in his purest form, and I really hope the group reads it someday.

There's always next March ;-)

message 36: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Yeah I’m committed to reading both as well. 16 hours audiobook combined which isn’t short but it equals some of the longer books we’ve read. Plus I’m tearing through We Are Legion. It’s really fun.

message 37: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 2 comments Yay! I've been wanting/meaning to read Bob for ages, now you've bumped it to the top of the bedside pile (metaphorical, since I'll likely get the Kindle or maybe even Audible version). I consider it a good omen for my fit with this group that a book I actually want to read is the first pick you make after I join!

message 38: by William (new)

William | 405 comments Tom wrote: "Yeah I’m committed to reading both as well. 16 hours audiobook combined which isn’t short but it equals some of the longer books we’ve read. Plus I’m tearing through We Are Legion. It’s really fun."

I'm tearing through Soulless. It's really fun too.

Bob is up next.

It looks like the group is in for a treat whichever way the votes swing :-)

message 39: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3958 comments Soulless has among the best openers ever, lags in the middle, and is a bit on the Monty Hall side at the end. Still very enjoyable. Bob actually opens a bit slow but then it is on with the adventure and great jokes / geek references. I'm rereading both but my vote goes to Bob.

message 40: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2354 comments We are soulless.

message 41: by Paulo (new)

Paulo Limp (paulolimp) | 164 comments Mark wrote: "We are soulless."

We are Bob.

message 42: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3958 comments Paulo wrote: "We are Bob."

I guess we'll find out if We are Legion pretty soon, eh?

message 43: by Svend (new)

Svend Pedersen | 26 comments I have already read We are bob, so I'm voting for Soulless this time

message 44: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Less than 12 hours left. Any predictions?

message 45: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I don't have a prediction on a winner but I think the vote is close.

message 46: by Leesa (new)

Leesa (leesalogic) | 643 comments I started Bob. Already read Soulless, but preparing to re-read!

message 47: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3958 comments I think that we are legion so We Are Bob will win! Exterminate! Exterminate! (whoops, mixing properties there...)

message 48: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1140 comments I prefer SF myself Dani but I'm afraid fantasy is more popular with this group.

message 49: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tom wrote: "Less than 12 hours left. Any predictions?"

Bob by a landslide +100 votes

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1864 comments I suspect you might be right - everyone on here seems super keen on Bob. Personally, the title alone made me respond with a hard no. But if it wins, it'll be interesting to see how it goes down - I don't plan on reading it, but maybe the discussion will tempt me. Not long now, right? (I do not know the actually time it's revealed)

« previous 1