Classics Without All the Class discussion

July 2014 - God of Small Things > Chance or Inevitability?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (infiniteink) | 87 comments One question that often comes up in analysis and discussion of this book is this:

Was Sophie Mol's death random, or did the events leading up to make it inescapable?

What are your thoughts?

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Burton (goneabroad71) | 43 comments Great question! I think it was random, and that's part of what makes the story so sad. What would the twins have been like had she lived?

message 3: by Kainzow (last edited Jul 28, 2014 12:19AM) (new)

Kainzow | 28 comments It was random,but the twins feel that the death and everything that follows would not have occurred,had they not wanted to flee...

I think that the book endeavours to show us how each small thing has a determining effect in the lives of the characters..
Estha,for example,would not have decided to leave home on the boat if it wasn't for his fear of the Orangedrink Lemondrink Man.He wouldn't have met the man if he didn't sing so loudly at the cinema.Perhaps that's why he turned dumb when he grew up; he feels that his singing was to be blamed for everything that happened to him and to his family...

message 4: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (infiniteink) | 87 comments Kainzow wrote: "I think that the book endeavours to show us how each small thing has a determining effect in the lives of the characters..."

I think that this is another way to look at the title of the book, as well.

message 5: by Shanea (new)

Shanea | 358 comments Michelle wrote: "Great question! I think it was random, and that's part of what makes the story so sad. What would the twins have been like had she lived?"
I'm more on the chance side of things personally. However...
What comes to mind for me is the difference in responses that people could have had had one of the twins been the one to fall out.

message 6: by Karakb (new)

Karakb | 5 comments Thank you for the comment on his guilt for his singing. I hadn't tied that so closely together. The Sound of Music ended for him too early.

message 7: by Kainzow (new)

Kainzow | 28 comments Karakb wrote: "Thank you for the comment on his guilt for his singing. I hadn't tied that so closely together. The Sound of Music ended for him too early."

Glad I helped! I think Estha's guilt doesn't occur to us at first,but rather after the second or third reading.In my case I read the book 5 times because I had to study it in high school.That's why I like it that much; it never fails to move me even if I know everything in it by heart.