YA LGBT Books discussion

Read-to-Review - complete & old > Reviewers Wanted for YA LGBT Crime thriller!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda Palund (lindauraglamoura) | 15 comments Hello,
I am Linda Palund, the author of THE LITTLE BLACK DRESS, published by Harmony Ink, part of Dreamspinner Press catalogue, in May of this year.
My little book is among the first in Harmony Ink’s foray into the lesbian side of LGBT fiction and mine also happens to be unique, because it is a crime thriller and there are not that many with teenage lesbian detectives.
THE LITTLE BLACK DRESS has a sensitive, but stalwart teenage lesbian heroine who goes on a crusade to find the savage killers of Carmen, her first love as well as her best friend.
This is a little novel, but it has everything, sex, drugs, gruesome murders and even a ghost. You need to take a look at it and I can make that happen.
If you would like a review copy, I will send you either a PDF or an ePub or Mobi version, just let me know which one you prefer.
Let me know who you are and why you want to review this little book and I will choose the ten most interested and interesting reviewers.
Thanks so much, Linda

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda Palund (lindauraglamoura) | 15 comments Hey! Take a look at this, will you? Read a review from Amazon and you can see how enjoyable this book can be to read: http://amzn.to/1iefbMs
Come on!
I am really anxious to get a review from a young adult reader!

message 3: by Emily~ (last edited Aug 06, 2014 06:19PM) (new)

Emily~  | 1 comments I commented on your Crazy for Young Adult Books group request for reviewers for this book.

I would really like to read and review for you since I have not heard much about a LGBT Crime Thriller before and it sounds like it would be a fun read. The description has greatly caught my attention and I can probably read and review by Saturday,if you would like?

My name is Emily and my e-mail is yumaluka@rocketmail.com. PDF is good with me.~ Also looking for a change other then romance YAs. :)

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda Palund (lindauraglamoura) | 15 comments Emily~ wrote: "I commented on your Crazy for Young Adult Books group request for reviewers for this book.

I would really like to read and review for you since I have not heard much about a LGBT Crime Thriller b..."

Thank you, Emily. I will send you the PDF. Everyone says its a quick read, so I know you will enjoy it!
Thank you for answering.
Linda Palund

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim (woodenchairs) | 2 comments Hi, the summary of your book looks interesting--I'll be happy if you send me a copy preferably in ePub version. As mentioned in the rules, please do send me a private message so that I can reply with my email address. Thank you.

message 6: by Jay (new)

Jay Clark (jaydclark) | 488 comments Linda wrote: "Where is everybody? Can anyone read?
Do you only read mindless romance?"

I am sure that you mean well, but the barbs in that message come across as too prickly to invite beta readers as intended. I would personally not want to classify any of the YA LGBT books that I have read as "mindless" regardless of whether or not there was a romantic element to them.

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda Palund (lindauraglamoura) | 15 comments Jay D. wrote: "Linda wrote: "Where is everybody? Can anyone read?
Do you only read mindless romance?"

I am sure that you mean well, but the barbs in that message come across as too prickly to invite beta reader..."

I have deleted my message. I guess I was angry because no one even enquired about this book that has received such good reviews on Amazon UK and USA and I can't get a Young Adult to even look at it!
I feel helpless and feel as though I have wasted my time signing up to this site in the first place and should just get busy finishing my next book and forget about this little gem.

message 8: by Kaje (last edited Aug 08, 2014 10:10AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments Congrats on the good Amazon reviews - many good YA books fail to manage even that. I'm sorry your book is not getting the attention you think it deserves. Unfortunately, you can have books you pour your heart and soul into that do not get read, or not get reviewed, or get reviews that say "this stinks and the author should take up knitting." And you have to roll with that, and stay positive. Or else write for your own pleasure alone, and take up knitting.

Some of the very best books I have read have not caught on with audiences, and I don't know why. Some books I admire and wish I could have written have a bunch of one-star reviews. The book biz is fickle and hard to navigate, and can be heartbreaking if you let it. But not letting frustration make you less than gracious, will serve you in the longterm.

Many books posted here get multiple reviews. Some don't. I can't say why. If you signed up with the site purely to get your own book read and reviewed, then perhaps you did waste the time. I do think that an author who pushes a book hard or shows impatience puts off potential reviewers, because what if they don't like the book? What will the author do or say? Better not to try.

I do wish you the best of luck finding your audience. You might check out our list of Review Sites for YA LGBT books - perhaps you could find new more professional sites where you have not yet requested reviews.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Palund (lindauraglamoura) | 15 comments Kaje wrote: "Congrats on the good Amazon reviews - many good YA books fail to manage even that. I'm sorry your book is not getting the attention you think it deserves. Unfortunately, you can have books you pour..."

Thanks Kaje, I actually signed up to the site because that was what I was told to do by my publishers. I had no idea about any of this and naively thought that my publishers would be handling the publicity of my book.
Harmony Ink is part of Dreamspinner Press and it turned out that they have very few Lesbian titles and had nothing in place for promoting them. Just Gay sites for M/M, not interested in a little lesbian YA crime thriller...
I have been a journalist most of my adult life, commissioned to write - and mostly reviews of music and theatre, so I never thought about having to promote myself in this way.
Like I said, the sad part is that all this self promotion is taking me away from my writing and I have several novels on the go that I would like to work on.
So, sweetly, two young ladies have asked for it since I made that nasty comment (from Goodreads) and I have sent them a copy and await their comments.
Thank you for being patient with me.
Linda Palund feisty author of THE LITTLE BLACK DRESS

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda Palund (lindauraglamoura) | 15 comments The Little Black Dress
Want to do a Review?
Murder and mayhem in Bel Air - that's wealthy la la land....
By the way, everyone - this is a quick read, so you can see what I am talking about pretty swiftly...
I am really looking for a YOUNG ADULT, particularly a just out of the closet young woman, to read this.
THE LITTLE BLACK DRESS features a sensitive, but stalwart teenage lesbian heroine whose love for her friend is what drives her to solve the murder.
This is a short novel, but it has everything in it, sex, drugs, gruesome murders and even a ghost. I am enclosing a copy in all three formats, a PDF, ePub and MOBI version.
I am certain you will enjoy this easy read and I look forward to your review and your thoughts on its content.
thanks, Linda

message 11: by K (last edited Aug 09, 2014 06:22AM) (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments Hi Linda

This site is a useful tool for authors - but predominately it is a site for readers. Taking part in other areas than promotion really helps to increase your visibility - and also to give potential readers a chance to get to know you. For quite a few readers there is nothing less likely to get them to read a book than having an author that only uses media - be it goodreads or social media such as facebook or twitter - simply as a promotional tool. Get involved, get to know potential readers, relate to them in terms of other books you've read and enjoyed.

Think about your target audience. YA lesbian novels (whether romance based or not) have a limited audience - particularly if marketed as such - you may have more luck promoting the novel as a YA crime fiction, which happens to have lesbian protags.

I don't follow any lesbian YA review blogs - but a quick google search gave me a link to The Lesbrary - which has a very long list of potential blogs Look Here . Sure you'll have to check out their review policy and approach those that are suitable - but unfortunately many small presses do limited publicity, leaving authors to do a fair bit of the work of promoting their books, and if your book is going to get the reviews you want (and remember not all will be positive) then you will need to do the leg work - or of course leave it as is and just move onto the next book - sometimes it will take getting a few stories out there before it clicks and people then go back and read your first books.

The other thing to consider is perhaps doing some short stories - and the photo prompts this group puts up each month is a great way to do it - which will let people see your writing style without having to pay for the product. Freebies are a great way of getting people interested in your work.

I hope this helps.

message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim (woodenchairs) | 2 comments Done! My review can be found here. Again, thanks for letting me do this, Linda!

message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda Palund (lindauraglamoura) | 15 comments Kim wrote: "Done! My review can be found here. Again, thanks for letting me do this, Linda!"
Thanks so much, Kim. I have posted a comment about your very welcome and thoughtful review.
I hope others will take a look at it!
kind regards,
Linda