Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Mar 20, 2018 05:57PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Since at least one of you liked last year's Weather challenge, I've decided that that is what we will be using for the April challenge. After all, we've been dealing with weather of the horrific type for most of this winter. (I mean, come on--it actually made 3 inches of snow here in Southeastern NC. That's like almost totally unheard of.) And, everyone knows the old saw, "April showers. . ."

So, here we go.

Each of the books that we read must meet ONE (or more, if you can find any that do) of the following rules: the cover has pictures of the flowers for that time (examples are tulips for spring, roses for summer, aster’s or mums for fall and poinsettias for winter) or a picture FROM that season—swimsuits, snowmen, etc., the title has the season in it, either the h or H is named (first or last) for the season, the AUTHOR’s name is the season or, the entire book is set in that particular season. In the event that you are using the COVER, please link a picture of the cover for your edition.
3 books for Spring
3 books for Summer
2 books for Fall (although we will also accept Autumn as a name/title)
2 books for Winter

message 2: by Jamie (last edited Apr 07, 2018 06:09AM) (new)

Jamie (jlpearcy1010) | 4 comments I'm in.

10/10 Read

Spring
1. Beauty in Spring ✔ 4/6
2. An Unexpected Diversion (occurs in Spring) ✔ 4/6
3. Bear-ly Spring ✔ 4/7
Beauty in Spring (Beauty, #1) by Kati Wilde An Unexpected Diversion (Hidden Hills Shifters #1) by Vella Day Bear-ly Spring (Bear-ly, #5) by M.L. Briers

Summer
1. Vampire's Kiss (by Ella Summers) ✔ 4/1
2. Witch's Cauldron (by Ella Summers) ✔ 4/2
3. Siren's Song (by Ella Summers) ✔ 4/3
Vampire's Kiss (Legion of Angels #1) by Ella Summers Witch's Cauldron (Legion Of Angels #2) by Ella Summers Siren's Song (Legion Of Angels #3) by Ella Summers

Fall / Autumn
1. Autumn's Blood ✔ 4/4
2. Autumn Thorns ✔ 4/5
Autumn's Blood (The Spirit Shifters, #1) by Marissa Farrar Autumn Thorns (Whisper Hollow, #1) by Yasmine Galenorn

Winter
1. Baby, I'm Howling For You (Snow on cover) ✔ 4/4
2.Winter's Promise ✔ 4/6
Baby, I'm Howling For You (Alphaville, #1) by Christine Warren Winter's Promise (Her Guardians Series) by G. Bailey

message 3: by Amy (last edited Apr 24, 2018 01:20PM) (new)

Amy | 0 comments 4/10 Read

3 books for Spring: 1/3
The Black Key -- Violet is main character. Violets bloom in Spring. -- read 04/10/18
The Black Key (The Lone City, #3) by Amy Ewing

3 books for Summer: 0/3
Vampire's Kiss By Ella Summers
Witch's Cauldron By Ella Summers
Siren's Song By Ella Summers

2 books for Fall / Autumn: 2/2
The Belles - About Camellia and her Camellia flowers (which bloom Fall to early winter) -- 04/05/18
Before I Fall -- 04/16/18
The Belles (The Belles #1) by Dhonielle Clayton Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

2 books for Winter :1/2
Hunting Prince Dracula -- set in December -- 04/24/18
Hunting Prince Dracula (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #2) by Kerri Maniscalco

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Mar 24, 2018 11:28AM) (new)

We are down to only the 2 of you signing up in the last 8 days. If we don't get a big upswing in people joining, I think this might be the last month for our Reading Challenges. It's been fun, and we've lasted quite a while, but I guess that people are either losing interest or have too many other things on their plates to join any more. I'll wait til the first of April to decide, but I thought I'd make the announcement early, so that there was time for gathering more challenge takers.

message 5: by Tina (new)

Tina Pegar (rainingdaisy) | 149 comments I haven't done one of these in ages but this month should be fun.

0/10 Read

3 books for Spring

3 books for Summer

2 books for Fall

2 books for Winter

♥Lynn ♥  | 519 comments I'm in!! It was 68 here one day last week and then it snowed 8 inches this weekend. lol crazy weather.

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Tell me about it Lynn. I live at the beach--where the average winter temperature is 50. And we've had TWO snow storms this winter. Two days ago it was 28 degrees--and today, it hit 75. . .

Alison (Lady Coffin) S | 184 comments ♥ ♥Lynn ♥ ♥ wrote: "I'm in!! It was 68 here one day last week and then it snowed 8 inches this weekend. lol crazy weather."

Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Tell me about it Lynn. I live at the beach--where the average winter temperature is 50. And we've had TWO snow storms this winter. Two days ago it was 28 degrees--and today, it hit 75. . ."

Seriously! Mother Nature is giving us all whiplash this year.

message 9: by Alison (Lady Coffin) (last edited Apr 28, 2018 07:08PM) (new)

Alison (Lady Coffin) S | 184 comments 10/10 Completed +22
"April showers. . ." Challenge - April 2018

Each must meet at least ONE of the following: has pictures of the flowers for that time (examples are tulips for spring, roses for summer, aster’s or mums for fall and poinsettias for winter) or a picture FROM that season—swimsuits, snowmen, etc., the title has the season in it, either the h or H is named (first or last) for the season, the AUTHOR’s name is the season or, the entire book is set in that particular season.

THREE books for Spring
1. Jinx by Meg Cabot done 4-9-18
2. The Wish by Gail Carson Levine done 4-17-18
3. A Ghostly Undertaking (Ghostly Southern Mysteries #1) by Tonya Kappes 4-24-18

THREE books for Summer
1. When an Omega Snaps (A Lion's Pride #3) by Eve Langlais done 4-10-18
2. Pies and Prejudice (Charmed Pie Shoppe Mysteries #1) by Ellery Adams done 4-14-18
3. A Familiar Tail (Witch's Cat Mystery #1) by Delia James done 4-18-18

TWO books for Fall/Autumn
1. Ghost of a Potion (Magic Potion Mystery #3) by Heather Blake done 4-13-18
2. Ever by Gail Carson Levine done 4-25-18

TWO books for Winter
1. I Am Half Sick Of Shadows (Flavia de Luce #4) by Alan Bradley done 4-3-18
2. Murder Most Howl (Paws and Claws Mystery #3) by Krista Davis done 4-24-18

READ A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle Twice Tempted (Night Prince, #2) by Jeaniene Frost I Am Half Sick Of Shadows (Flavia de Luce, #4) by Alan Bradley Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2) by Kalayna Price Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie The Last Camel Died at Noon by Elizabeth Peters Straddling the Line (Play by Play, #8) by Jaci Burton Strawberry Shortcake Murder by Joanne Fluke The Murders of Richard III (Jacqueline Kirby, #2) by Elizabeth Peters The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks Jinx by Meg Cabot Everything Love Is by Claire King When an Omega Snaps (A Lion's Pride, #3) by Eve Langlais Wildflower by Drew Barrymore The Lost Kingdom of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine Ghost of a Potion (A Magic Potion Mystery, #3) by Heather Blake Pies and Prejudice (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery, #1) by Ellery Adams The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks The Wish by Gail Carson Levine Rise of the Isle of the Lost (Descendants #3) by Melissa de la Cruz A Familiar Tail (Witch's Cat Mystery, #1) by Delia James The Dark Prophecy (The Trials of Apollo, #2) by Rick Riordan All Wound Up (Play by Play, #10) by Jaci Burton Murder, She Barked (Paws and Claws Mystery, #1) by Krista Davis White Night (The Dresden Files, #9) by Jim Butcher A Ghostly Undertaking (Ghostly Southern Mysteries, #1) by Tonya Kappes Murder Most Howl (Paws and Claws Mystery, #3) by Krista Davis A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles Ever by Gail Carson Levine Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1) by M.C. Beaton Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1) by Ernest Cline

Alison (Lady Coffin) S | 184 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "We are down to only the 2 of you signing up in the last 8 days. If we don't get a big upswing in people joining, I think this might be the last month for our Reading Challenges. It's been fun, and ..."

:-(
Sure hope we can keep it up, This has been my primary challenge for many years now.

message 12: by Sana (last edited Apr 28, 2018 05:44AM) (new)

Sana Zameer (sanazameer) I always enjoy these challenges.

10/10 Read COMPLETED

Spring
1. Jace (Wolves of the Rising Sun, #1) by Kenzie Cox 28/4/18
2. Goldilocks and the Bear (Once Upon a Spell, #3) by Vivienne Savage 6/4/18
3. Redemption (The Captive, #5) by Erica Stevens 27/4/18

Summer
1. Oracle's Moon (Elder Races, #4) by Thea Harrison 11/4/18
2. Natural Evil (Elder Races, #4.5) by Thea Harrison 16/4/18
3. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Between, #1) by April Genevieve Tucholke 11/4/18

Fall
1. The Caller (Robert Hunter, #8) by Chris Carter 20/4/18
2. Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout 23/4/18

Winter
1. Red and the Wolf (Once Upon a Spell, #2) by Vivienne Savage 3/4/18
2. The House by Christina Lauren 7/4/18

message 13: by Sean (last edited Apr 11, 2018 09:44AM) (new)

Sean Franco-Norris (s3an309) | 3 comments I lurked a lot...Figured it's time for me to actually participate in this challenge. This sounds really fun and simple. So Count me in!

4/10 Read

Spring
1. Infinite Spring (Young Adult Fantasy Horror series) 5 out of 5 - Read on April 6th.

Summer
1. Eternal Summer (Young Adult Horror Fantasy series) 5 out of 5 - Read on April 7th
2. Summer Blood

Fall
1. Autumn Ever After (Young Adult Fantasy Horror series) 5 out of 5 - Read on Aril 10th. Excellent ending to the series even though I was shocked to see some of the characters being killed off :(

Winter
1. Endless Winter (Young Adult Fantasy/Horror Series) 5/5 - read on 4/4/2018 This book is reminding me so much like Twilight except it wasn't vampire story.

message 15: by Abi (last edited Mar 31, 2018 12:07PM) (new)

Abi (booksa144) This looks fun!

0/10 Read

Spring
1. The Color Purple by Alice Walker
2. Wicked Wisteria (Wisteria Witches #2) by Angela Pepper
3. Wisteria Wonders (Wisteria Witches #3) by Angela Pepper

Summer
1. Vampire's Kiss (Legion of Angels #1) by Ella Summers
2. Witch's Cauldron (Legion Of Angels #2) by Ella Summers
3. Dragon's Storm (Legion of Angels #4) by Ella Summers

Fall
1. Julie and Romeo by Jeanne Ray
2. The Vampire's Mail Order Bride (Nocturne Falls, #1) by Kristen Painter (Nocturne Falls #1)

Winter
1. Bone Witch (Winter Wayne #1) by D.N. Hoxa (Winter Wayne #1)
2. Frozen Soul by Catherine Banks

message 16: by Celina (new)

Celina | 1 comments This challenge will be my first one so I hope to succeed :D I'm in.

message 17: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

We are at 10 people participating in this challenge. I will do another 2 month's of challenges, but if we drop below 10 people for two month's, I'm going to just cancel the challenges. At one point in time we had close to 100 people doing these--but we've also been doing them for a long time, and, well, I guess that people have just gotten tired of them.

message 18: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Celina--the challenge is strictly a personal one. Some of our group who do them (or used to do them) couldn't make 10 because of other commitments, so they did 3 or 4 or 6 or whatever number they felt comfortable with. Just challenge yourself to do one more than you would normally read. And if you don't succeed, we won't dance around pointing at you and teasing you. We tend to be very supportive for those trying these challenges.

message 19: by ♥Lynn ♥ (new)

♥Lynn ♥  | 519 comments Sweets!! No more lurking! It's great to see you on GR. I miss you!

I am still gathering my list. It's gonna be hard for me to read this month with all the weather causing my kids sports stuff to be cancelled and moved, we now have 4 softball games and 2 soccer games this week alone. I may be a sleep walker this month.

message 20: by Sean (new)

Sean Franco-Norris (s3an309) | 3 comments ♥ ♥Lynn ♥ ♥ wrote: "Sweets!! No more lurking! It's great to see you on GR. I miss you!

I am still gathering my list. It's gonna be hard for me to read this month with all the weather causing my kids sports stuff to b..."

Above all of that, you still can do it! Reading is a way of us escaping the reality ;-) Miss you too!

message 22: by Sana (new)

Sana Zameer (sanazameer) Update message #12
Completed