Young Adult Catholic Readers discussion

The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
This topic is about The Hound of the Baskervilles

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diana Ragsdale Here is where we will be discussing the first chapter of The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Diana Ragsdale Hello everyone! I was thinking we should kick off the groups with a fun discussion question. So...

In the first chapter, James Mortimer is introduced. Which actor would you cast to play him given the details described? Anyone want to discuss the most accurate portrayal of Holmes and Watson?

message 3: by Lou (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lou (aliceinbagend) | 41 comments Mod
The first actor that came to mind when he was described was Benedict Cumberbatch (Unpopular opinion: I can't stand Cumberbatch) (Also to me, that doesn't clash with Holmes because I have always and will always think of Robert Downey Jr. as Holmes <3)
Anyway, as his character was introduced though, I couldn't really see Cumberbatch as him... so I'm not sure who I'd cast...
What about you?

Diana Ragsdale Haha I can't stand Cumberbatch either.

My favorite Holmes and Watson pair is Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law.

As for Mortimer, I'm still trying to think of the right person.

Kelly Rose | 60 comments LydiaMae wrote: "The first actor that came to mind when he was described was Benedict Cumberbatch (Unpopular opinion: I can't stand Cumberbatch) (Also to me, that doesn't clash with Holmes because I have always and..."

Oh my gosh I 100% agree with everything you said lol.

Kelly Rose | 60 comments For some reason when I first read Baskervilles I imagined Mortimer to be a nice, jolly, plump old man. Maybe because Watson thought he was old? Or probably just because it suits his personality. When I read the first chapter last week I was like, wait he's young? this whole time??

Anyway, this time around I initially imagined him as General Hux from Star Wars, though I'm not quite sure why (I don't even like that character). But it's funny because Cumberbatch actually crossed my mind too. I think because Mortimer's description is similar to Holmes'. I also don't like him (I thought I might have been the only one); I'll admit, he does have a cool voice though.

I actually haven't seen a film adaption of Sherlock Holmes that I found to be strikingly accurate. The reason I don't like Cumberbatch's portrayal is because his only motivation for solving crimes is his extreme boredom rather than genuine concern. They made him too apathetic and inhuman. I know Robert Downey Jr.'s and Jude Law's portrayals are not perfectly accurate, but they are by far my favorite. :)

(I hope this isn't too long. lol)
description