Pinoy Book Freaks United ッ discussion

Book Series Discussion > HP Characters

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tsootsai (last edited Jul 24, 2014 11:16AM) (new)

Tsootsai Agape (readmymind28) | 10 comments Mod
Guidelines:

* There are 10 parts to the discussion:

1-7 for each book
8 for characters
9 for the films
10 for the whole series in general + expectations on the future of Harry Potter + you as the reader

Rules to follow:

1. It helps to have a healthy dose of respect for other people's opinions. Remember that not all of us are on the same wavelength when it comes to books :)
2. Address people properly when replying to them :) In relation to this, read comments prior to yours so you can also reply to them. Remember, this is not an essay assignment, it's an online discussion.
3. Elaborate on your answers. One word/phrase answers are highly discouraged :)
4. Don't hesitate if you have questions of your own. Type them ALL CAPS so people will know you raised your own :)
5. Keep calm and discuss Harry Potpot :)

Harry Potter Characters:

* Who among the student characters have changed the most?
* Compare the six Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers. Who do you think is the most effective and why?
* What do you think of Albus Dumbledore?
* Describe how Harry and Gilderoy Lockhart differ in dealing with their fame.
* Do you think Professor Trelawney is a good teacher? Why or why not?
* Which characters do you think didn't have much impact in the story, so much so that the whole series could've survived without them? Why?
* How is Sirius and Harry alike and different?
* Of all the teachers in Hogwarts, who do you think is the most competent? Wisest? Worst? Explain why.
* Do you think Dudley changed? Why or why not?
* Whose death shocked you? Why?
* Whose death was the most painful? Why?

message 2: by Jeyser (last edited Oct 21, 2014 07:27PM) (new)

Jeyser Gamutia (jeysermiognette) | 4 comments IS IT OKAY IF I ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS DIRECTLY? HIHIHI

WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!!!! I'm sorry, but I'm going to put some spoilers here. I cannot answer these questions thoroughly without painting a certain scene.

* Who among the student characters have changed the most?

Definitely Ginny Weasley. I LOVE HER CHARACTER. SO MUCH.
The first book was so maddening because I immediately saw a potential in Ginny's character having a crush on harry and all, but J.K. kind of eclipsed her role and put her on the background and I was like: "Okay, J.K. do not hide Ginny! She's my kind of girl."
But, finally, her time came. I do not mean the second book. No. Uh-uh. Tut. Tut. That was a bit frustrating because it was her time to shine! But then she was possessed by dear ol' voldy, and what can I say? Nothing.
Her time came on the fifth book, I think. When the DA was formed and I saw Ginny transform in front of me through the pages of my book. From a shy, poor girl, she grew into a badass young lady who's so beautiful that all the boys in school couldn't help but admire her. And she plays Quidditch so so so so so awesomely good.
Lastly, she gets to marry Harry. Ha! Ha! HA!

* Compare the six Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers. Who do you think is the most effective and why?

SNAPE. NO QUESTION THERE> DO NOT MAKE ME ELABORATE. PLEASE. DO NOT MAKE ME ELABORATE FURTHER. Thank you.
> Oh, and Lupin! He taught the kids so much in their one year together. Taught them so much about facing their fears using the Boggart and taught them the patronus charm and all.

* What do you think of Albus Dumbledore? >> SPOILER.

Well, he's like the grandfather I never had. Never will have. Never will... because, yeah, he could be my granddad but he never married (because he's gay, people. It's official. I know. It's shocking and painful for me, too).
But he's such a good and complicated person, and I do not dwell much thought about him. I like his character. And I cried so hard when he died. His life contained so much secret it was a shock when we learned about them all in Deathly Hallows.

* Describe how Harry and Gilderoy Lockhart differ in dealing with their fame.

I think the answer is (no, scratch that, ANSWERS are) pretty obvious for those who have read the books.
GILDEROY IS A FAME WHORE. Sorry for the language but he is. He loves the fame. It's the fame that covered his stupidness. He only knows one decent spell: "Obliviate!" and even backfired it on himself. The rest of his spells are useless in general and stupid.
HARRY, our hero, on the other hand is humble and totally indifferent to it. He wants nothing of it. In fact, he'd prefer to hide under his Cloak.

* Do you think Professor Trelawney is a good teacher? Why or why not?

No. Her lessons were crap. Even Dumbledore said that Divination is not something to be taken seriously because it is the most changeable, unpredictable and unstable subject in witchcraft.

* Which characters do you think didn't have much impact in the story, so much so that the whole series could've survived without them? Why?

To be honest, I think NO ONE in the books was unimportant or to be considered trifle in the series. They all have their moments, they all have their purpose on why they were put there. Some of them served as a catalyst for something to happen, right? Some of them guided our beloved main characters and the like. So all of them were useful, for me.

* How is Sirius and Harry alike and different?

HOW IS SIRIUS AND HARRY ALIKE:
- Both good in playing Quidditch.
- Both value friendship as they value their own lives.
- They both lose someone special in common: James and Lily.
- THEY'RE BOTH IN GRYFFINDOR! HELLYEAH!
- What else? Hm... both are brilliant wizards, of course.

HOW ARE THEY DIFFERENT?
- They're so different in sooo many ways.
- Sirius is reckless and a troublemaker and does all stupid things intentionally for fun! Harry, however, does things without even realizing that his actions are forbidden or seemingly stupid in the eyes of the Hogwarts staff.
- That's all I can think of.

* Of all the teachers in Hogwarts, who do you think is the most competent? Wisest? Worst? Explain why.

Most competent: PROFESSOR LUPIN> He does so well in his job, and he really knows what he's doing.
Wisest: Apart from Dumbledore, I think Snape would be fit for this title. Lemme just remind you, that he served as a double-agent for Dumbledore and kept it hidden from Voldy for yearsssss! Until Harry told Voldy in DH, of course.
Worst: Duh, obviously it's UMBRIDGE. She knew nothing about DADA, she was just appointed by the Minister for Magic without even bases on her competency.

* Do you think Dudley changed? Why or why not?

HE DID. SO much. He didn't even think of Harry as an enemy. Just someone to mock or laugh at. But when he realized that he was never going to see Harry ever again, he was stupefied beyond belief. He couldn't believe that in all their years together in one roof, they're finally going to be apart from each other... permanently. Dudley matured, too. He even brought Harry a cup of tea (or was it coffee?) every morning on his doorstep.

* Whose death shocked you? Why?

- sigh - Dumbledore's and Mad-eye Moody's
Kasi, with Dumbledore's death, it was so unexpected. The greatest wizard! Dead! That sure was so unexpected and shocking and terribly painful. Didn't expect it.
Mad-eye, too. He's the kind of warrior that you can consider invincible, served as an Auror for so many years, and then with just a blink of an eye, he's gone. Gone for good.

And to think that it was Snape who killed both Dumbledore and Mad-eye is just unbearable.

* Whose death was the most painful? Why?

SNAPE's AND FRED's AND DOBBY's AND... uh, ALL DEATHS, perhaps? Kidding. XD Not Voldy's of course xD

Snape>> After learning the truth? I couldn't bear Snape dying so brutally with the fangs of Nagini. This death made me cry so hard. Learning how much he loved Lily, how much he sacrificed for Harry, how much he tried so hard to protect Harry, how much he ALWAYS look after him, how he felt a tad angry at Dumbledore when he learned that Dumbledore was intending Harry to be killed.... how he said the words "ALWAYS" after all this time... it hurt, so much. GAH! THE FEELS. >.< I can't explain these further.

FRED> Well, simple. The Weasley twins are two of my most fave characters in the series. I didn't want either of them to die. They brought so much fun in the whole series. The whole Weasley and Potter and DA Team grieved so much when he died.

SO YEAH, that's all.
AM I DOING THIS RIGHT? XD