The Man Booker 2014 Readalong discussion

The Books > The Wake - Paul Kingsnorth

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Esther (new)

Esther  (estame) | 37 comments Mod
Are you reading this title?

message 2: by Matt (new)

Matt Booth | 4 comments Well I'm going to persevere with this one for a while longer but so far I'm finding it very painful to read

message 3: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Yorkshiretricky wrote: "Well I'm going to persevere with this one for a while longer but so far I'm finding it very painful to read"

Yorkshiretricky - painful because of subject matter, writing quality? Could you give us a little more? Thanks.

message 4: by Matt (new)

Matt Booth | 4 comments Sorry, it's the language used that makes it extremely difficult to understand. It's written in a version of old English. Whilst there is a glossary at the back of the book, it's not so easy when you're reading the Kindle version. Maybe once I get into the book I will be fine.

message 5: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Yorkshiretricky wrote: "Sorry, it's the language used that makes it extremely difficult to understand. It's written in a version of old English. Whilst there is a glossary at the back of the book, it's not so easy when..."

I wondered if that was bothersome, which I can imagine with an e-book. Thanks for the clarification.

message 6: by Matt (new)

Matt Booth | 4 comments I have found a rather useful online version of the glossary, which may make things a bit easier

message 7: by Neil (new)

Neil On my kindle, it was simple to switch to the glossary and back when I needed to. I guess you could make it even easier by bookmarking the glossary, but I just used the "go to" menu option and then the back button to return to the text.

message 8: by HyL (new)

HyL (hylsbooks) | 2 comments All the talk about how this book is not good to read from a kindle/nook has inspired me! I have not read it yet, but as a hard-copy book fan, I'm now keen to read The Wake next.