The Man Booker 2014 Readalong discussion

The Narrow Road to the Deep North
This topic is about The Narrow Road to the Deep North
The Books > The Narrow Road to the Deep North - Richard Flanagan

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Esther (new) - added it

Esther  (estame) | 37 comments Mod
Is this one you want to read? Discuss it here!

Trudie (trudieb) YES definitely this has been getting great reviews in Australia

message 3: by Esther (new) - added it

I am really looking forward to this one too. If I had to take a guess at the winner purely based on critical acclaim it would be this one.

Trudie (trudieb) About at the half way point on this one - and it is my pick of the long list so far. It is brutal storytelling and yet so lyrical. I am hoping it doesn't let me down by the ending. It has to be shortlisted surely !

Neil Finished this last night. Hard work because it is so brutal and harrowing. In my review I only gave it 3 stars because I felt I was being manipulated. But I felt guilty doing that because it is about real people's intense suffering and you feel they deserve more. Other people won't feel manipulated and will think it is a fantastic book - I totally understand - but I did so I reduced my rating.

Trudie (trudieb) So pleased this made the short-list. I found it to be totally gripping and a surprisingly engaging love story as well. Certainly Flanagan is no holds barred on the violence - it is uncompromisingly brutal, but I think that is historically accurate. This is also a very Australian novel, so I found myself nodding along recognising places and the "Australianisms" - I hope more people get to read it.

message 7: by Esther (new) - added it

I have to admit I am finding it really hard to engage with this one. I am going to pick it back up, however the main character is putting me off. I don't normally require a likeable protagonist but for some reason he is grating on me.

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Balmforth (annbalmforth) | 2 comments I found it hard going & a little confusing initially, but soon was gripped. While it is difficult to say it was enjoyable, it was very interesting to read different perspectives of the war in Asia.

Annette (annetteinperth) I thought this was a beautifully written book, which might sound strange given it is so harrowing in parts.
Flanagan doesn't shy away from the pain, suffering and brutality of this part of history, and he was inspired to write the story by his father, who was one of the surviving POWs on the Thai Burma railway. I guess that's why he was able write such powerful emotional stuff.

My 1st book of the shortlist- "we are completely beside ourselves" was the 2nd and although I enjoyed it, it paled in comparison.