NetGalley Addicts Support Group discussion

Need Help? [Ask the Group] > Review Etiquette

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jmiddlebrooks) | 2 comments Hi everyone,

New Netgalley reviewer here. I received an ARC and in the forward it asked people not to post reviews until after the book is published (which is like 6 weeks away). When I looked at both Netgalley and Goodreads, people have been posting reviews. So, what is the etiquette here? I'm done reading the book and would rather review it now then wait for a month and a half. I won't remember anything by then. Also, I'm trying to boost my review rating percentage so it would be good to submit the review now.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 90 comments I hate to go this route- but if your friends all jumped off a bridge would you jump off too?

The publisher doesn’t give these books away out of the kindness of their hearts. They’re doing it to generate interest. The reason they want people to wait to review, is so that when people read your review, they say oh hey, I think I’d like to buy that, and then presumably, they go to Amazon or Barnes & Noble or Booksamillion or wherever and buy it.

You review it now, people might add it to their TBR and completely forget it on release day.

Just write the review while it’s fresh and post on release day.

You can submit the review through net galley and let them know when and where you intend to post. That way the review is saved somewhere and you’re feedback ratio increases, and you’re complying with publisher wishes. It’s a win-win-win.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 440 comments Jennifer wrote: "Hi everyone,

New Netgalley reviewer here. I received an ARC and in the forward it asked people not to post reviews until after the book is published (which is like 6 weeks away). When I looked at ..."

I think we all do things a bit differently. Unless a publisher specifically states not to post reviews until publication date I always post my reviews on NetGalley and Goodreads after I've read the book. I think they primarily want you to hold reviews on sale sites like Amazon and Barnes and Noble, also for people who have blogs. The purpose of NetGalley is to get early feedback from reviewers and insight into what perhaps might need to be changed in the final copy. I look to my Goodreads friends often to see if I even want to request a book based on early reviews.

As I said we all do things differently but I've been doing this going on 4 years now and have never had a problem getting approved and never any negative comments.

Either way you do it I highly recommend that you write the review after you finish the book whether you post it or save it. For me by the time I've moved onto the next book I might forget something important that I wanted to say, particularly if it's not a truly outstanding book that sticks in my memory.

Happy reviewing and have fun on NetGalley and don't worry too much :)

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 87 comments I am a rule follower - if they say not to post it until a certain time, I wait. I write my review in my blog after I read it and simply schedule the publish date to the necessary day so I don't have to remember what I thought of a book from weeks ago. My blog auto posts it on the day, but then I have to remember to copy it to Goodreads and Amazon (which I don't always remember to do right away). I send feedback through NetGalley when I finish reading it and include the links to the future-review on my blog and GR, noting that they will be posted after the requested date.

If they don't say when to post it, I consider it fair game and post it when I finish reading it regardless of when that is.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan Underbrink | 24 comments Hi all, Since NetGalley has given us the ability to link our Goodreads account to each review, I assumed that it was ok to put the reviews there. It puts the review there for you. NetGalley still tells me to remember to post to Amazon etc on the publishing date.

message 6: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 87 comments Susan wrote: "Hi all, Since NetGalley has given us the ability to link our Goodreads account to each review, I assumed that it was ok to put the reviews there. It puts the review there for you. NetGalley still t..."

It's good to put the reviews here but I wouldn't do it before the publisher's request date. NetGalley isn't going to ban you or anything, but I would worry that if the publisher notices you're posting reviews much earlier than they asked, they might blacklist you or something. If you haven't found that to be the case, if you're still getting approvals from those publishers regardless, then I guess it's not a big deal, but personally, I don't want to do anything that might reduce my chances of getting approved in the future.