Play Book Tag discussion

Poop Detectives: Working Dogs in the Field
This topic is about Poop Detectives
Archive: Other Books > Poop Detectives: Working Dogs in the Field ~ Ginger Wadsworh ~ 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joni | 624 comments This is a very interesting and informative middle grade science book about dogs being used out in the field to help biologists study wild animals by sniffing out their scat....in other words their poop.

Most of the time with you think of detection dogs, you may think of dogs who sniff out bombs, drugs, and people. But not the dogs in this book. These dogs are paired up with biologists who are studying wild animals who are possibly on the verge of becoming extinct.

Just a few wild animals that these dogs search for are: bears, wolves, mountain lions, gorillas, whales (yes in the water), & fishers (a forest-dwelling relative of the weasel). These are just a few. Some dogs have been used to sniff out turtles, owls, snakes and insects. Breeds of dogs commonly used to do these types of searched are : Labradors, German Shepherds, Border Collies, Australian cattle dogs or mixes of these breeds because they are "air sniffers". Air sniffers are able to pick up their desired scent as it blows away from it's source. The dogs and their handlers go through rigorous training to learn the desired scents that they are asked to detect.

This book is very informative. It has a lot of information about the animals that are being detected; wonder photos of trips and searches; and my favorite part....stories about some of the individual dogs.

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Joni wrote: "This is a very interesting and informative middle grade science book about dogs being used out in the field to help biologists study wild animals by sniffing out their scat....in other words their ..."

Greatest title of a book. Sounds like it was an interesting read.

message 3: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I agree --- the title caught my eye. Sounds interesting.