Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

All Things Writing > Writing Contests?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Michelle | 450 comments Mod
What are your opinions on writing contests/competitions? And why? Do you ever enter your writings in any? Have you won? Do you think it's worth paying a fee?

message 2: by Kevin (last edited Jul 24, 2014 11:31AM) (new)

Kevin Moore (kevmoorewrites) | 63 comments I did one through Writer's Digest a few years ago. I think the fee was $35. Of course, I didn't win, but I didn't really expect to. I read the issue with the winners and thought third place was pretty good. First and second place just seemed too quirky to me and even had some obvious typos. It really made me question if it's worth the investment. Also, all the junk mail I've received from WD since entering that contest has led me to believe their focus is really just making money in as many ways as possible.

I'm sure there are good ones out there, I'm just not really sure how to find them. Writer's Market guide perhaps (ironically published by Writer's Digest)

message 3: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Thorogood (tonythorogood) I went in a competition once with my book A FOXTROT THROUGH INDIA, in England and I didn't win BUT when I turned up to the presentation I was mobbed by the judges who told me that my book was brilliant but it was just too short! No one spoke to the winner! I got an agent out of it though. Competitions? you can't win any unless you go in for them go in for lots if you want to win but yes don't pay out money!

message 4: by Bisky (last edited Jul 25, 2014 12:15PM) (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
I entered a competition when I was 16ish? And it was totally a scam :x I don't think I'd ever pay a fee to enter anything. Because I'm tight :p

But I would enter competitions more often. Never sure where to look for them if I'm honest. I just think it's more things to add to your writing quiver :3

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Moore (kevmoorewrites) | 63 comments A fellow professor and I are starting a small literary journal in our community. When we get to the place where we can do writing competitions, I'm making it free darn it!

message 6: by Cem (new)

Cem Bilici (cembilici) I have looked at paid comps and considered them too. I'm also tight.

My take is: If I am going to pay money for something I would rather invest it in books, or joining a good known association or toward editing, tools or something I know I will benefit from. I don't have money to throw around.

I think I would rather submit to publications like anthologies, magazines, etc. That's like a comp too, winning is you get published somewhere.

Unless it's free entry, pass.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Pearce (michaeltinkerpearce) | 91 comments Paid contests are a scam, pure and simple. We are currently entered in the Baen short story contest and will find out if we won on the 31st of this month. It's the only contest we've ever entered and I haven't the least expectation of winning.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Moore (kevmoorewrites) | 63 comments Michael wrote: "Paid contests are a scam, pure and simple. We are currently entered in the Baen short story contest and will find out if we won on the 31st of this month. It's the only contest we've ever entered..."

Good luck to you!

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Pearce (michaeltinkerpearce) | 91 comments Thanks Kevin!

message 10: by J. David (new)

J. David Clarke (clarketacular) | 418 comments I frequently intend to enter contests and then just never get around to doing it. I think part of me just doesn't want to get my hopes up and have them dashed away, and another part thinks what do I care if I win a contest, as long as people enjoy the work? And then the rest of me is just a lazy ass.