Great African Reads discussion

Great African Reads: Places > Egypt, Tunisia and Algeria

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by George P. (new)

George P. | 196 comments I just obtained a copy of Midaq Alley by Naguib Mahfouz, who is from Egypt. It was translated from Arabic to English. I believe he was awarded a Nobel prize. I'm looking for information on more good books translated from Arabic, especially from north Africa. I have access to a university library that has a large selection of Middle Eastern books.

message 2: by George P. (new)

George P. | 196 comments PS: I already have Woman at Point Zero in my to read list for soon.

message 3: by PS, Short Story Reading Chief (last edited Mar 20, 2018 01:47PM) (new)

PS | 143 comments Mod
Hi George, I loved Midaq Alley!

How about Latifa Al Zayyat (The Open Door), Tahar Ben Jelloun (I haven’t read him but heard lots of good stuff about him), Leila Aboulela (short stories and her novel Minaret) Mahi Binebine (Horses of God), Assia Djebar (Women o Algiers in their apartments), Kamel Daoud (The Meursault Investigation), Radwa Ashour?

As for Arabic fiction from beyond North Africa, you could look up Hassan Blasim and Ahmed Saadawi if dystopian fiction interests you, poetry by Mourid Barghouti and his son Omar Barghouti, Elias Khoury’s works of fiction, poetry by Mahmoud Darwish (highly recommended!).

I’ll write more when I get to a computer (I can’t stand the Goodreads app). Hope this helps.

message 4: by PS, Short Story Reading Chief (new)

PS | 143 comments Mod
PS: there is a Middle East North Africa reading group on Goodreads if you are interested.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 57 comments @George,

Here's the landing page to the MENA group Sofia referenced.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Many of us are members of both groups. You'll find great resources there on North Africa and Arabic literature in translation.

message 6: by PS, Short Story Reading Chief (new)

PS | 143 comments Mod
Thanks Carol! :)

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 57 comments Sofia wrote: "Thanks Carol! :)"

Sure thing. Some things can really only be done easily on laptop.

message 8: by George P. (new)

George P. | 196 comments Sofia wrote: "PS: there is a Middle East North Africa reading group on Goodreads if you are interested."

Thanks Sofia and Carol for the suggestions; I'll check out the Mid-east N Africa group. I've actually read one book you listed Sofia, "Horses of God"- good but grim. I had Radwa's Granada: A Novel in my list as a possible. Zayaat's The Open Door looks promising. Good tips!

message 9: by PS, Short Story Reading Chief (new)

PS | 143 comments Mod
No worries George! I agree: Horses of God was very dark but very well-written (and translated!). I loved Granada, such a shame that only part 1 of the trilogy has been translated into english!

message 10: by George P. (new)

George P. | 196 comments I just did a quick browse through the Middle East North Africa groups bookshelf to see how many I've read. Of the 600 or so, I've read 6. So that's a start!