The Man Booker 2014 Readalong discussion

History of the Rain
This topic is about History of the Rain
The Books > History of the Rain - Niall Williams

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I read roughly 74 pages of this. I liked how the author made references to great works of classic literature and compared it to what was happening in the main character's life. I felt like it jumped around a lot and went back and forth in time and place so frequently that I was kind of lost as to what was going on at all. I was so confused I stopped reading. I will probably pick it up again and give it a re-try only if it wins.

Esther  (estame) | 37 comments Mod
I have also started reading this one. I really like the narrators voice so far, but you are right, it is a little difficult to keep track of the time-line. On the plus side, I have Bleak House on my TBR this autumn, and all the references to Dickens are whetting my appetite for it.
I'm also intrigued to see where the narrators story ends up because of the intriguing one liners about her own situation.

Darklittle | 12 comments Already ordered this one and looking forward to reading it :)

Esther  (estame) | 37 comments Mod
I just finished this and it continued to be a fantastic read. One of my favourite of the year so far. If this is any measure of the rest of the longlist we are in for some excellent reading. Review to come.

Jennifer (jengalanis) | 3 comments I'm reading this right now and I have to agree, it's a fantastic book.

message 7: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt Booth | 4 comments Wow! I struggled with this one for the first hundred pages or so and nearly gave up, so glad I didn't, it is an amazing read and really grabbed hold of me.

Jennifer (jengalanis) | 3 comments Yorkshiretricky wrote: "Wow! I struggled with this one for the first hundred pages or so and nearly gave up, so glad I didn't, it is an amazing read and really grabbed hold of me."

Same here! It took me about a hundred pages to really get into it, but in the end it's so worthwhile.

Darklittle | 12 comments Yorkshiretricky wrote: "Wow! I struggled with this one for the first hundred pages or so and nearly gave up, so glad I didn't, it is an amazing read and really grabbed hold of me."

Good to know :)

message 10: by Neil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neil I loved this. First 200 pages were good. Then Ruth's parents arrive and the story soars. From that moment to the end, I could not put it down - just finished now!

Benjamin (benjaminrr) | 1 comments Just started reading this last night and I seem to be making reasonable progress. My interest is still peaked and I'm around a fifth of the way through. I just hope it continues to deliver, as many of you have promised. Looks to be a worthy nomination.

message 12: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee Ann | 24 comments I just finished this book. Like some of you, I was disappointed in the first part of the book. It was difficult to follow the story; however, I still enjoyed reading it because it has so many humorous lines. Of course, the mentions of the classic books in the narrator's father's library brought back good memories of reading those books. (I did have to look up some of the characters in Bleak House and Great Expectations to jog my memory!)

But during the second part of the book, the story all comes together, making this an overall very good read.

Darklittle | 12 comments I also finished last night and I still have to digest everything. As you said, the first half was a slow read but then it picked up. Only in the end I noticed those awfully long sentences spanning half a page. No wonder the book was hard to read at times. :D

Ikebukuro The first part was a bit slow for me too but I've really enjoyed the writing and the second part of the book.