Play Book Tag discussion

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine
Archive: Other Books > Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman - 4.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 5118 comments I was a little wary of this book, thinking it would be an Ove copy-cat, and at the beginning it seemed like it. But it quickly became its own story with its own charm and heartache, and definitely different enough from Ove to stand by itself.

Although the first half was a bit slow, it was still interesting to see Eleanor's thought processes and try to figure out what her background was as it was revealed little by little as the story progressed. Then in the second half the pace picks up, and when the revelations start coming one after another my attention was riveted and I had difficulty putting the book down. The little twist at the end surprised me, and though it was all nicely resolved at the end the author leaves some things unknown.

I gave this 4.5 stars, but after consideration I think I will round up. It was quite a satisfying read.

KateNZ | 2620 comments I'm so looking forward to reading this! Glad that you liked it so much :)

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9080 comments I also gave it 4.5, but I really didn’t understand why I felt that way. I actually think this is a better read for folks who are not mental health clinicians, and that skewed me some. I have since heard that other therapist have felt the same. That said my feeling about it shouldn’t take away from others enjoyment of the book. Consider it more of a professional critique in the writing. Also, I found it far more sad than charming. I noticed people find Eleanor charming. I did not.And yet I still rated the book highly.

annapi | 5118 comments I didn't find her charming either, I mostly felt sorry for her, but also admired her resilience. I liked how she developed in the story too.

Jason Oliver | 2088 comments The more comments I read the more interested I am in this book. Its already on my TBR.