The History Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE > RICHARD BURO'S 50 BOOKS READ IN 2018

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 44207 comments Mod
Richard, this is your thread for 2018. I have included the link to the required format thread and an example. If you had a 2017 thread - it will be archived so when you get the opportunity move over your completed books and formats to the 2018 thread - but we will allow time for you to do that.

Please follow the standard required format below - I hope you enjoy your reading in 2018. Here is also a link for assistance with the required guidelines:

Link:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Our Required Format:

JANUARY

1. My Early Life, 1874-1904 by Winston S. Churchill by Winston S. Churchill Winston S. Churchill
Finish date: January 2018
Genre: (whatever genre the book happens to be)
Rating: A
Review: You can add text from a review you have written but no links to any review elsewhere even goodreads. And that is about it. Just make sure to number consecutively and just add the months.

IMPORTANT - THE REVIEW SHOULD BE SHORT AND SWEET - THERE ARE NO LINKS OF ANY KIND IN THE BODY OF THE REVIEW ALLOWED. NONE. DO NOT REFER TO ANY OTHER BOOK IN YOUR BRIEF REVIEW. THE ONLY BOOK CITED IN YOUR REVIEW IS THE ONE YOU ARE REVIEWING - NO OTHERS. ALL LINKS TO OTHER THREADS OR REVIEWS ARE DELETED IMMEDIATELY - THERE WILL BE NO WARNING. WE CONSIDER THIS SELF PROMOTION AND IT IS NOT ALLOWED AND IS IN VIOLATION OF OUR RULES AND GUIDELINES.

message 2: by Richard (last edited Mar 20, 2018 02:15PM) (new)

Richard Buro (rwburo1outlookcom) | 15 comments Thank you, Bentley. I appreciate your able assistance as always. Also, if you need someone to help with website mechsnics, I taught Digital Multimedia for middle grade students during the last seven years of my career as a Texas Certified Professional Educator and a Master Teacher of Technology. In my other life, back inmyhe day, I started our District's website, several classroom support and digital courses to support students who could not attend regular classes due to illness or injury. I still remember how to do things, and I believe I can follow the guidelines our group has for submisdion. If I can help, please let me know.

Richard W. Buro
Temple, TX USA

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Mar 20, 2018 04:51PM) (new)

Let me help you get started on the right foot.

1. There is only one book per comment box.
2. The month in caps and bold is only above the first book completed for that month - so the first book in January would have JANUARY in caps and bold. But any other books for January do not need the month listed in caps and bold.
3. Remember only one book format per comment box.
That mean that only Area 51 can be in comment box 3.
4. Finished should be Finish date:
5. Grade should be Rating:
6. Every one of your eight books needs it's own separate comment box.

I will do the first one for you.

message 4: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

JANUARY

1. Area 51 by Vincent Pet by Vincent Pet (no photo)
Finish date: January 2018.
Genre: Science Fiction
Rating: B+
Review: This title comes in two versions: a 9-part serial and a compilation of all parts into a single volume. The story is multifaceted, including some intrigue and espionage overtones.

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

2. Irish History Compressed by Bruce Gaston by Bruce Gaston (no photo)
Genre: European History -- Ireland
Review: This book was summarized by its cover. Less attention to the early parts of Irish history with more depth and detail in the topic after World War I.

message 6: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Mar 20, 2018 05:05PM) (new)

So I have done your first two for you and after we get everything set up properly I will delete my instructions. You do not have to add 1 or 2 again. Start with your book 3.

We add the book cover, then the word by, and then the author's photo and finally the author's link. If there is no photo or not a photo of the author - then we add (no photo) at the end after the author's link. We have a thread called Mechanics of the Board which will help you and a Citations thread with examples. The How To's thread will help you - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

There is a citation thread that we set up for a book discussion which has some examples - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

And we have a Mechanics of the Board thread for more help with citations - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Also your template is really
Number of book, bookcover, by, author's photo, author's link
Finish date:
Rating:
Review:

Hope the above helps and you will get this in no time.

Start with your third book and place in its own comment box

message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard Buro (rwburo1outlookcom) | 15 comments Bentley wrote: "So I have done your first two for you and after we get everything set up properly I will delete my instructions. You do not have to add 1 or 2 again. Start with your book 3.

We add the book cover..."

I understand, hopefully. Seeing if I can follow excellent instructions. RWB

message 8: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

That is ok - we are here to help you. The next comment box you should do number 3 book completed - remember one book per box.

message 9: by Richard (last edited Mar 20, 2018 08:38PM) (new)

Richard Buro (rwburo1outlookcom) | 15 comments 3. Last Light by Dean Koontz by Dean Koontz Dean Koontz.
Genre: Fiction, Fantasy - Clairvoyance - Future Sight
Rating: A+
Review: The story centers on two young people who can see the powers of a person with similar gifts as well as a limited view of the future. Set in the same location and timeframe as Ashley Bell, two young people who can tell future events by touching another discover sinister intentions of each other. A story filled with suspense and possible death, Last Light is a fast read, and very satisfying.

message 10: by Richard (last edited Mar 20, 2018 09:49PM) (new)

Richard Buro (rwburo1outlookcom) | 15 comments 4. Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Genre: History, Memoir, Aviation 3rd decade
Review: A Memoir, self-history covering Mssr. Saint-Exupéry's exploits as a French air-mail pilot. The difficulties with navigation, dead-reckoning, and equipment used for communication with aircraft in flight by radio. The stories Mssr. Saint-Exupéry tells all point to the nascent nature of aviation in the 1920's and 1930's. This is history as it happened with log entries and transcripts of radio transmissions added in ways to allow the reader to feel the emotions and actions in the cockpit of an airmail pilot for the French government's handling of long-distance mail service by air. Reminded me of the works by Ernest K. Gann, Charles Lindbergh, and Amelia Earhart.

message 11: by Richard (last edited Mar 21, 2018 08:27AM) (new)

Richard Buro (rwburo1outlookcom) | 15 comments 5. The Rich Nations and the Poor Nations by Barbara Ward by [ [author:Barbara Ward|79342] no photo.
Genre: History Memoir Aviation 1920's - 1930's
Review: This is a rare gem of a book about the economic history of the world. Mrs. Ward looks at the countries that border the North Atlantic Ocean, categorizing them as the "rich" nations. Their relationship with each other and with their colonial holdings, which were categorized as the Poor Nations. The plight of the Poor Nations are described with the advent of Colonialism, Communism, and now the Rise of the Poor Nations in their own ways and using the tools and concepts that might help them rise to the ranks of the Rich Nations. She also outlines the difficulties in their rise to the Rich Nation standard.

message 12: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Mar 21, 2018 08:40AM) (new)

Good progress - just put a period after 5 - you have a comma in message 13.

The citations are good for messages 11 and 12.

But the citation is not correct for 13. If there is no author's photo then do not add the blank icon like you did - just add the author's link and (no photo) at the end

Let me show you:

5. The Rich Nations and the Poor Nations by Barbara Ward by Barbara Ward (no photo)

Update: Go back and fix your citation in five - the author's link is not right.

message 13: by Richard (new)

Richard Buro (rwburo1outlookcom) | 15 comments Bentley wrote: "2. Irish History Compressed by Bruce Gaston by Bruce Gaston (no photo)
Genre: European History -- Ireland
Review: This book was summarized..."

message 14: by Richard (last edited Mar 26, 2018 11:56AM) (new)

Richard Buro (rwburo1outlookcom) | 15 comments FEBRUARY No books completed.

MARCH
6. Ninefox Gambit (The Machineries of Empire #1) by Yoon Ha Lee by Yoon Ha Lee Yoon Ha Lee

Finish date: March 2018.
Genre: Science Fiction series -- Machineries of Empire series #1
5. Rating: A
6. Review: A very different take on military operations in outer space. AI-sentient robots and to some degree ships with exotic weapons with frightening effects such as carrion bombs. Many of the combatants are female, a few are male, and some of them are almost dead as well. Interesting work, worth reading more by this a uthor.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.