Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Joan Johnston
This topic is about Joan Johnston
2018 Challenge Archive > FAC: Joan Johnston (April 2018)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments April - Joan Johnston

Joan Johnston is a best-selling American author of over fifty contemporary and historical romance novels.

She was born Little Rock, Arkansas, the third of seven children born to an Air Force sergeant and his music-teacher wife. She received a B.A. in theatre arts from Jacksonville University in 1970, then earning an M.A. in theatre from the University of Illinois, Urbana in 1971. She received a law degree (with honors) at the University of Texas at Austin in 1980. She worked as a practicing attorney for five years. She also worked as a newspaper editor and drama critic and as a college professor before turning to writing full-time.

Joan's first book, A Loving Defiance, was published in 1985. Her writing has received numerous awards and nominations, including being a Romance Writers of America RITA Award finalist for The Disobedient Bride. She is a member of the Authors Guild, Novelists, Inc., Romance Writers of America, and Florida Romance Writers.

Joan has two children and one grandchild, and divides her time between two homes, in Colorado and Florida.

Joan's GR page is here: Joan Johnston

Challenge Task: Read one book written by our featured author, Joan Johnston.
Challenge Duration: The whole month of April.

To sign up:
Post your interest and the book you are planning to read.

You must also signify if you are:
A - I'm a big fan! I'm excited to read another of her books.
B - Familiar with her work, and wouldn't mind reading her again.
C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it.
D - Didn't like the last one I've read, but willing to give it another chance.

To complete:
Post the date when you've completed your book.

You must also say if, after reading:
A - would definitely look at her other books, since I've enjoyed this one very much.
B - could take it or leave it. Was not an unpleasant experience but I'm not burning rubber to get to her other books.
C - Oh well, I tried. Definitely not my cup of tea.

A little review of the book read is welcomed but not required.

message 2: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments **

message 3: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments **

message 4: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19600 comments I'm a C with this author and I'm planning to read (listen to)Heartbeat because I like the narrator and it is in the audible Romance Package. =)

message 5: by Suzanne (last edited Mar 28, 2018 01:33PM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2049 comments I'm in and I'm a C, I'm going to read Colter's Wife by Joan Johnston

message 6: by Kristy (new)

Kristy Johnston | 63 comments I'm a C and I'm planning to read Blackthorne's Bride

message 7: by Kristy (new)

Kristy Johnston | 63 comments I've finished reading Blackthorne's Bride. I enjoyed it for the most part. There were a couple of chapters that I skimmed through since this is Book 4 of a series and there were entire chapters following the characters from Books 1-3 that I have not read so they really meant nothing to me. Also, I kind of felt like the book skipped around too much at the beginning skipping through a lot of info between the two years between the Prologue and the MCs meeting again. Other than that I liked it.

I chose this book because I'm not really into the Cowboy/rancher/western thing and since most of this author's books follow that subgenre, I probably won't be reading any of her other books. So I'll end as a B, if she writes anything "non-cowboy", I might consider it.

message 8: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments MountainKat wrote: "I'm a C with this author and I'm planning to read (listen to)Heartbeat because I like the narrator and it is in the audible Romance Package. =)"

I thought I quoted this a month ago and just said "me too", but I must have forgotten to hit the post button again (I'm way too good at that). Anyway, I did listen to it, and found it pleasant but nothing particularly special. It was written over 20 years ago and shows it's age a bit, and I had the mystery figured out fairly quickly, but I still enjoyed it. Not enough to run right out and start another of her books, but definitely enough to be open to reading her again at some point. I guess that means I'm ending as a "B".

message 9: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19600 comments Wow, I've been bad at commenting that I finished challenges for April!

Anywho, I finished Heartbeat in the middle of the month. I rated it 4- Stars. I enjoyed it, but it showed its age. My biggest complaint was the total lack of communication! Though I figured out the mystery early on, it was still a nice story.

I'm not going to rush out and read more by this author, but I'm not opposed to it. I started a C and I finished a B.