Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) Children of Blood and Bone discussion


2816 views
Question about ending (Inan and Saran) SPOILERS!!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ore (last edited Mar 20, 2018 06:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ore Do you think Inan and Saran are definitely dead? It seemed pretty convincing but I figure at least one of them needs to be alive. I just wonder what will be the next conflict for the remaining 2 books.


message 2: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa I thought so. This is a very good question. Now I have to go back and think about it! It's going to bother me until the sequel now. I did wonder what the major conflict would be or who the new big bad is... ahhh


message 3: by Eli (last edited Mar 25, 2018 01:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eli I don't think Inan is dead. And, honestly, I think it would be a waste of his character to kill him because he has so much potential for a fantastic redemption arc. We also never got a definite statement that he was actually dead. I do think that Saran is dead however, because because if Inan is still alive having Saran be alive as well would be overkill.


message 4: by Elias (last edited May 02, 2018 07:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elias I like Inan but it would be so much more gutsy if she killed him off. Partially because Inan and Zelie's romance was by far the weakest part of the book and made Zelie act out of character. I'm much more invested in Zelie's bond with Amari.


Marie -The Reading Otter I am unsure. I got an eARC from NetGalley, I read the book way back in December. I'll need to re-read it, or at least the last couple chapters so I can remember more of what happened. Right now it's a little fuzzy.


message 6: by Ara (last edited May 31, 2018 04:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ara I do. Simply because Tomi Adeyemi doesn't seem like the Lazarus Pit type. But they do have a spirit world, so they (likely Amari) might visit them there.


Sydney Alice Larrier There's enough potential conflict surrounding the possibility of a widespread return of magic to Orïsha that I don't think Adeyemi needs to resurrect Inan or Saran because she's done the work of setting up further potential conflicts. Amari intends to become queen, and now she has magic. The stocks need to be abolished. The noble class needs to reconcile with the maji and diviners. There's enough in those requirements alone to fill at least another book without throwing in the the added wrench of bring Inan or his father back from the dead. Perhaps Zélie will visit Inan in the afterlife, or he will lend her his strength from beyond the grave. I just don't see the necessity of him living again.


Elias Marie -The Reading Otter wrote: "I am unsure. I got an eARC from NetGalley, I read the book way back in December. I'll need to re-read it, or at least the last couple chapters so I can remember more of what happened. Right now it'..."

Saran kills Inan in the battle at the temple after finding out he's become a Maji. It was really shocking both in that it's a POV character and the story's love interest and in the sheer brutality of how it was done. And it motivates Amari's arc, too. Well done, Tomi. Well done.


Marie -The Reading Otter Elias wrote: "Marie -The Reading Otter wrote: "I am unsure. I got an eARC from NetGalley, I read the book way back in December. I'll need to re-read it, or at least the last couple chapters so I can remember mor..."

In that case, it would be strange to keep him dead because of the love interest aspect, but it would be strange to bring him back, depending on how it's explained that he's not dead.


Travis Cantonwine Inan's death isn't ACTUALLY confirmed. Nothing states that he falls to the ground or dies... it just talks about his wound. I DO expect that he is alive and maybe in the next book he will try to set things right (and the others won't take it well...)


Elias DumplingDiaries wrote: "Inan's death isn't ACTUALLY confirmed. Nothing states that he falls to the ground or dies... it just talks about his wound. I DO expect that he is alive and maybe in the next book he will try to se..."

It mentions his "dying breath" and he's listed among the dead later.


Travis Cantonwine Elias wrote: "DumplingDiaries wrote: "Inan's death isn't ACTUALLY confirmed. Nothing states that he falls to the ground or dies... it just talks about his wound. I DO expect that he is alive and maybe in the nex..."

oof-I guess I need to reread lmao


Janette Amari stopped their father from taking his final blow, so I'm going to assume that Inan is alive but seriously injured.


message 14: by M (new) - added it

M I believe that Inan is alive but Saran is dead. Considering that Inan got his own pov chapters and that he is one of the main characters makes it unlikely that Tomi Adeyemi would kill him off. The end of the book gives no clarity as to his having died. Reviews and websites suggest that Inan was injured and blacked out at the end of book 1. Death for Inan would seem pointless because there is so much that can still be done with his character. I'm eagerly awaiting Children of Virtue and Vengeance!


Ashley Velez I don't understand Inans character in the book at all. first he hates then he loves then his back to hating. How can you say you LOVE someone then you turn around and do something stupid AFTER you've saved Zelies life a couple times..
I feel like Adeyemi never wanted to make this a romance but wanted to target every genre but in the end it just left me like Whaaaaattt?Most books only catch my eye if its got AT LEAST a little romance in it (yeah I'm cheesy like that) but I feel like this book lied!!
The ending...........what to make of it????


message 16: by Alex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex i hope inan is dead and amari somehow "took" his powers. not in a malicious way. but they transferred to her.


Regina So is Amari a maji now? I was so lost by then ending and was so into this book.


Stephie | Stephiereads I think in the end Zel realized that “they all are Children of Blood and Bone“ and by thus capable of being maji. At least that's how I understood it. Which would mean that not only diviners could become maji but kosidans too. I also think that Saran is dead and Inan still alive. But for Inan magic became something too powerful, something that should be eraticated, maybe he'll be like and antagonist in book 2 trying to get rid of magic or undo what Zel did.


Regina So I read a synopsis of book 2 and looks like that the nobles got the magic back as well that their ancestors had. So now it's a fight between the nobles and the maji.


Elias Stephie wrote: "I think in the end Zel realized that “they all are Children of Blood and Bone“ and by thus capable of being maji. At least that's how I understood it. Which would mean that not only diviners could ..."

That's a brilliant theory. I'm convinced this is true.


message 21: by dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

dina In my opinion, I believe Saran is dead but Inan highly likely would not die if he can find a healer. But still their's a high chance for Inan to die because of his injuries.


Mariah While it feels kind of against-the-norm to have the main love interest die, I'm kind of okay with it if Inan does turn out to be dead. The fact alone that he died is breaking more norms, which is what Adeyemi is a pro at. I love that this book is so unpredictable! I never saw half of these plot lines coming!


Elias Mariah wrote: "While it feels kind of against-the-norm to have the main love interest die, I'm kind of okay with it if Inan does turn out to be dead. The fact alone that he died is breaking more norms, which is w..."

That's what would make it cool.


message 24: by Noor (new) - rated it 5 stars

Noor i just finished the book! Can we talk about how amazing this book was, I'm literally shook..as for your question, I personally believe that Saran is dead, but as for Inan, it didn't really clarify. He's either really injured or dead, it just explained that he was stabbed though.


Danielle I'm also of the opinion that Saran is dead, Inan is alive and Inan will take power in book 2 as the new antagonist and try to eradicate or control use of magic. The love triangle will be Zelie, Inan and Roen.


Steph LaPlante Elias wrote: "I like Inan but it would be so much more gutsy if she killed him off. Partially because Inan and Zelie's romance was by far the weakest part of the book and made Zelie act out of character. I'm muc..."

I totally agree with this. Zelie and Amari's relationship is so important. I also felt that it was very much out of Zelie's character to fall for Inan. I also felt it didn't really make sense that either of them fell for each other so quickly. I understand he is able to feel and see her thoughts and emotions but it was really unrealistic for it to happen so quickly. You can't have this badass, extremely angry, closed off character fall for a guy who tried killing her multiple times because he saved her. I think it was too quick and maybe I would've appreciated it more had it been a little bit slower, and well, of course, him not doing what he did in the end. I am also praying there doesn't become a love triangle, we don't need this.


Elias Steph wrote: "Elias wrote: "I like Inan but it would be so much more gutsy if she killed him off. Partially because Inan and Zelie's romance was by far the weakest part of the book and made Zelie act out of char..."

It's like you can read my mind.


message 28: by Patti (new)

Patti Alex wrote: "i hope inan is dead and amari somehow "took" his powers. not in a malicious way. but they transferred to her."

I thought that too.


message 29: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Boutte I thought that Amari was really Binti --disguised all alone. Or that both Amari and Inan's have magi legacy.


Olivia I feel like Inan is still alive, they only mentioned his wound and his "dying breath". It never clearly said he stopped breathing. Plus his father was interrupted by Amari, he was trying to struck again. I don't know how believable it will be if he does come back (they'll probably find a powerful Healer or something) but I have a feeling he'll be the vilain in the next book, with the will to honour his father and continue what he did. Though I think it would be cool and bold if the author did kill him haha, I was shocked at first


Emily Elias wrote: "I like Inan but it would be so much more gutsy if she killed him off. Partially because Inan and Zelie's romance was by far the weakest part of the book and made Zelie act out of character. I'm muc..."
This is so true!! Inan and Zelie just felt way to pushed. I think Zelie and Amari have so much left to connect over now that the two are "out of the picture" so to speak. So much to delve into here...


Angie Guerra I like the finish of that dead. I mean, Inan's dead. I was very angry about Inan's betrayal and how he wanted the magic to be extinguished after He told Zelie that he loved her. But anyway, I'm sure Zelie is going to relive him later 👌


message 33: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Fletcher I'm not sure if Inan is actually dead though. Sarah never delivered the final blow which would have finished him off for good so his life still kind of hangs in the balance between this book and the next. Whilst his death would give both amari and zelie motivation, without him Amari only really has her mother to face for the throne. With Inan primed to be king and his distrust/hatred of magic it would make sense that he doesn't die but returns home to take up his father's mantle, torn between his love for zelie and his fear of what maji can do


Carolyn Kettler I don’t think that Inan is dead. I think there is still a lot more to the story as to why he has Maji powers and why the gods chose to give him powers, so I can’t see his story ending. I also am curious about Amari being a Maji now. I personally really like Inan’s character and think he was just super conflicted and controlled by his Father. It was both frustrating and made a lot of sense for him to keep flip flopping, as his whole life has been about pleasing his father, and his father has ways of making Inan feel he is trying to do good- but I do think he will have to come a long way for redemption- especially for Zélie to ever want a relationship with him.


Ashley Smith I don’t think Inan is dead either. There are still so many questions that need answers about Saran’s other family and his father. The story doesn’t make clear what exactly happened to Saran’s other family and what exactly the maji did before The Raid that led to so much hatred, so I can see that being explored through Inan in the next book.


Isabelle Inan is probably not dead, because it would be a waste of character if he was. Sarah is most likely dead, however, even though I read this so long ago I can’t remember who that is.


message 37: by Skye (new) - rated it 5 stars

Skye I don't think Inan is dead but in all honesty, there is no way to truly be sure which is what I liked about the ending honestly. That it is was left open-ended. I figure if she did kill Inan then we may get Tzain's perspective or maybe a new character but I'd like to have Tzain perspective take over for Inan if we don't get him back.


message 38: by Sylvia (last edited Jan 04, 2019 04:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sylvia Okyere Judging by the synopsis of the second book, I'm going to assume that the antagonist will be Amari's mother. Once the news gets out about Saran and Inan she'll take her place as queen, try to eradicate magic because it took her husband and 'first born son' thus enforcing her motive to try to eradicate magic in the land. If this is the case I can't wait to see how a mother-daughter face-off will go seeing as their relationship before Amari ran away was quite strained.

ALSO, am I the only one who was here for Zel and Inan's situationship?! I thought it was very endearing! I suppose with Inan gone (and I really hope he is gone!) maybe there could be a chance to develop the relationship between Zel and Roen.


RiverQuinn Stephie wrote: "I think in the end Zel realized that “they all are Children of Blood and Bone“ and by thus capable of being maji. At least that's how I understood it. Which would mean that not only diviners could ..."
That's how I read it, as well. My take from it was that the spell Zelie used brought magic to *everyone* not just the diviners. Because of that I would think there will be enough content for the sequel just in figuring out how it works with everyone having magic and learning how to use it. I'm sure there will be more to the sequel though! I'm not sure about Inan, myself. It felt like he was dead to me but reading some of these questions has me wondering....hmmm....


message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

If I could enter this fictional world it'd be to kill off Inan. Now Zelie is unattached and Roen can tap that-


message 41: by Aisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aisa Just a theory-- if Zélie brought magic back, but its price is blood (as we see with Amari at the end), then anyone who was in the room at that time, bleeding out but not dead yet, might have gained access to some serious magic. Not sure how that could save Inan or Saran, but the possibility is there.

Also, not I'm not understanding all the Inan hate-- looking at things from the bad guys perspective, magic is pretty terrifying and destructive; it's kind of like nuclear weapons in our world or something. Not that it justifies Saran's regime of torture and oppression, but you can understand why Inan is conflicted about what's best for the nation.


message 42: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Shurtz I would be very surprised if Inan is dead. First of all, we never saw him die. We DID see Amari fight off her father before he could deliver the final blow. If Adeyemi wanted to kill him off, why make it a point to say Saran didn't get to finish him off? Why not have him deliver that blow before Amari got there, if he's going to die either way? What purpose did stopping the blow serve? And second, Inan was chosen by the gods for some reason, and we did not get to see that story thread come to full fruition yet. Why did the gods give him magic? Adeyemi's not just going to throw him away now, before we get the payoff.

Basically, based on the current status of the different story arcs and the deliberateness in the way Adeyemi describes the events surrounding Inan getting wounded... He ain't dead.


message 43: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Shurtz Also, a stab wound in the stomach is hardly a definitive death sentence when you live in a world full of magic and healers (especially when you're a main character with an unfinished arc). A stab through the heart, though? I'm prett sure Saran is dead.


Srinidhi I really hope Inan is dead and so roën ends up with zëlie cause zëlie and amari probably won't ever happen and I like Inan but I'm fine with him dying but there is a probability of him surviving. Ugh god when is the second book releasingggggg


Shakera Ore wrote: "Do you think Inan and Saran are definitely dead? It seemed pretty convincing but I figure at least one of them needs to be alive. I just wonder what will be the next conflict for the remaining 2 bo..."

Saran is dead but it seems as Amari might have saved Inan before his father delivered the final blow. However at the end of the book it appears that there was a hint that whatever Zel did, it was more powerful than they imagined and with Amari revealing a streak in her hair, it seems it majic might have been restored to some that didn't originally have it. I can see what the conflict the next book would bring. If Amari is a maji now, I don't think they would let her claim the throne. Which brings me to my the next conflict. If Amari claims the throne that means Inan is dead, but I think she saved him and may have left him because she thought he was dead. So maybe he can redeem himself, nurse himself back to health, and challenge his sister for the throne. My imagine ran wild with this one. I can see atleast 3 more books.



Elias Aisa wrote: "Just a theory-- if Zélie brought magic back, but its price is blood (as we see with Amari at the end), then anyone who was in the room at that time, bleeding out but not dead yet, might have gained..."

I liked Inan as a character until he got romantically involved with Zelie, which took a whole star off of the book for me.


Shakera Elias wrote: "Aisa wrote: "Just a theory-- if Zélie brought magic back, but its price is blood (as we see with Amari at the end), then anyone who was in the room at that time, bleeding out but not dead yet, migh..."

I liked the love story as it showed how strong women tend to get distracted when matters of the heart involved. She was able to rebound from that with strength. However, in the final book, I can see Inan standing by her side. If not a lover, a close friend.


message 48: by Pera (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pera Is Inan dead? Because if he is I'm might just lay on the ground and picture a slightly different ending He is my favorite character.


message 49: by Pera (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pera I liked Inan and zelie as a couple


Esosa Kolawole I think I prefer Zeile and Roen. I mean, Inan betrayed her. I don't joke with betrayal.


« previous 1
back to top