Play Book Tag discussion

Black Beauty
This topic is about Black Beauty
Archive: Other Books > Decathalon ~ Black Beauty by Anna Sewell ~ 5 stars and some love

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joni | 599 comments March Decathalon ~ A three nominated tags

I found a 3-n-1....an illustrated, classic, autobiography

From Goodreads:

Perhaps the most celebrated animal story of the nineteenth century, Black Beauty is the suspenseful and deeply moving account of a horse's experiences at the hands of many owners — some, sensitive riders who treated him gently; others, cruel drivers who thoughtlessly inflicted lasting damage.
Written as the animal's autobiography, and as an appeal for the humane treatment of horses, Anna Sewell's beloved classic reveals as much about human conduct and the social ills of the time as it does about the treatment of animals. Scenes from the lives of both the landed gentry and the impoverished working class offer a subtle but well-rounded perspective of social conditions in England during the late nineteenth century.
Animal lovers of all ages will cherish this memorable story, now available in this unabridged, modestly priced edition.

My review:

I think I read this book as a young girl but I think it may have been the abridged version as I don't remember everything that I read this time. I absolutely loved Black Beauty. Written as Beauty's autobiography, he tells of his life from his very first home as a young colt to his final home. He tells of all the love and wonderful care he received with his first owner and a few others to the awful treatment he received from others....those who felt that a horse was just meant to work and to be worked hard. All the while, Beauty, did his best and befriended other horses along the way.

Beauty was such a gentle soul. This was a very beautifully written book with wonderful illustrated artwork. A true classic.

annapi | 4849 comments I loved this book as a child, I would read it over and over. I went through a prolonged horse-loving phase, so it was this, and Silver Brumby and Black Stallion and King of the Wind again and again. Oddly enough, I never got into Misty of Chincoteague.

message 3: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2047 comments Great job finding a 3-n-1, Joni! Surprisingly, I have never read this and I may have to do so.

message 4: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2207 comments Gosh, I need to reread this. Like you, Anna, it was a frequent love when I was a child. I think my copy fell apart in the end. And I cried at the same point every time!

message 5: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Adding to TBR.

annapi | 4849 comments KateNZ wrote: "Gosh, I need to reread this. Like you, Anna, it was a frequent love when I was a child. I think my copy fell apart in the end. And I cried at the same point every time!"

Let me guess - Ginger?

message 7: by Barbara M (new) - added it

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2149 comments This is considered autobio? I almost picked it up for my illustrated classic but didn't realize it was also true! Instead I'm reading The Secret Garden and enjoying that one too. I don't think I've ever read either of these but, of course, I saw the movie of Black Beauty!

Joni | 599 comments Yes it is....in the fictional sense. It’s been shelved on Goodreads as an autobiography and from the edition I read, the title page reads “Black Beauty: The Autobiography of a Horse”

message 9: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3774 comments This is one of those books that I've just never been interested in. Not sure why- I know it is a classic, and beloved by many.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5527 comments Well, it's fiction ... but written from Beauty's perspective.

Sort of like Melanie Benjamin's The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb ....total fiction, but that doesn't stop people from using the "autobiography" tag.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5527 comments Just to be clear --- it's perfectly okay to use a book that someone else has tagged with the monthly tag, even if you wouldn't necessarily use that tag.

Heck back when we were still on Shelfari, I remember more than one of us was "saved" from a tag by reading To Kill a Mockingbird (which some misguided soul had tagged as "zombies" and "vampires") ... LOL

message 12: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2207 comments Heck back when we were still on Shelfari, I remember more than one of us was "saved" from a tag by reading To Kill a Mockingbird (which some misguided soul had tagged as "zombies" and "vampires") ..."

That's hilarious! I wonder if psychoactive substances were to blame for the earlier tag, lol

Still struggling for my autobiography tag, so I may follow suit, Joni :)