The Man Booker 2014 Readalong discussion

Welcome | Introduce Yourself

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Esther (last edited Jul 24, 2014 01:59PM) (new)

Esther  (estame) | 37 comments Mod
Thanks for joining our Man Booker Prize 2014 readalong!

If you are anything like myself you will have been eagerly awaiting the longlist announcement on Wednesday. Some of you may have added several new titles to your TBR, or maybe you feel some trepidation towards the list but have endeavoured to read anyway, either way this group is for us all to share our opinions to see if we agree with the judges, and maybe even predict the winner!

Here are the books that made The Longlist

The aim of this group is to commit to reading and reviewing at least one of the longlist before the shortlist is announced on the 9th of September 2014. Initially we did aim to randomly assign books to participants, but a combination of not getting this organised quickly enough and that almost half of the titles are currently unreleased has made that impossible.

So, please read at your own pace. Some of you may be planning to read more than one book from the list, and that's great, but don't feel pressured into doing more than makes you happy. What would be fantastic is if you can write or record a review and share the link/s with us.

If you are twitterer we have a tag up and running #ReadBooker2014 so please come and converse there too.

Most of all, enjoy!

Please feel free to introduce yourself below; you might like to tell us where your blog/channel can be found; what you think of the list; how many of the titles you'd like to read or any other lil tidbits you think we'd like to know!

message 2: by Esther (new)

I shall go first! My name is Esta, although I stalk people on booktube as Amelia East, where I'm a viewer not a tuber (and a lover, not a hater).

I've been looking forward to the longlist announcement to an almost embarrassing extent, and now it's here I am planning on reading all of them!

Find me on twitter @ rookesta

message 3: by Kamil (last edited Jul 24, 2014 01:02PM) (new)

Kamil (coveredinskin) | 12 comments My name is Kamil. I'm a law and political science graduate working in finances. Since my everyday life is a lot numbers oriented I miss humanities. Books are my escape from a corporate life. (It's not as sad as it sounds:).

I live in Warsaw, Poland. Even though Polish is my mother tongue majority of the books I read are in English and thanks to that I can read then long before the Polish translation is out, not mentioning I have big reservations regarding reading translated works. I also have my own booktube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/coveredi...

I'm obsessed with Booker Prize, I try to read all of shortlisted and majority of long-listed books. I think Esther's idea is an outstanding one. Thank you once again for contacting me.

message 4: by Antonia (new)

Antonia (presidentonia) | 2 comments Hello! Thank you for inviting me to this group! My name is Antonia and I'm from Romania. I primarily read classics and literary fiction, though I dabble in other types of books as well. I've also. just completed an MA in British Cultural Studies. You can find me on youtube and twitter (@28Bookmarks): https://www.youtube.com/user/28Bookma...

I don't know how many books I'll get to read this year, as I'm not amazed by the longlist, but I am going to look into them a bit more and see what might appeal to me. I'm looking forward to reading all the discussions.

message 5: by Andi M. (new)

Andi M. (estellasrevenge) Hey folks! I'm Andi from Estella's Revenge. I am a long-time blogger, Tweeter and newer BookTuber. In short, I just love reading and social media! I always look forward to the Booker longlist, and I'm especially excited that one of my fave authors, Siri Hustvedt, is included!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello Bookers! I'm Liz from LizsBookBuffet (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC85T...).

I read in just about every genre but tend to default to hard science fiction and literary fiction (yeah, weird combination, I know). I've not sought out the long list in years past and tend to just wait until the winner is announced. If it sounded like something I would enjoy, I'd wait to read reviews and then decide if I wanted to read it. This year is different. My library has 5 in stock and 2 on order. I've placed them all on hold without reading the synopsis. It's going to be a busy August. I've not read anything by any of these authors before. This will be exciting.

message 7: by Julia (new)

Julia (quatschmitsauce) Good morning! My name is Julia, I'm 26 for three more weeks and I'm from Germany.
I had a Booktube channel but I'm on hiatus there. I'm still annoying my poor Twitter follwers with ALL the book talk, though, and I may or may not have revived my blog (ifoundahobby.wordpress.com)

I'm planning on reading four of the longlist books in August.
The Blazing World by Siri Hustvedt To Rise Again at a Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris The Lives of Others by Neel Mukherjee History of the Rain by Niall Williams

message 8: by Trudie (new)

Trudie (trudieb) Hi my name is Trudie from NZ - I love discussing the Booker Longlist each year. I was excited to see there was a Good Reads group set up do exactly that ;)
I have read one book already Orfeo and reviewed it on here - look forward to discussing more

message 9: by Maxwell (last edited Jul 25, 2014 09:26AM) (new)

Maxwell (welldonebooks) Hello, thank you for inviting me to this group! My name is Max. I'm 21 and going into my final year of university, getting a degree in English Literature. I currently work at a publishing company in the Bay Area of California.

I've never read a whole longlist (or shortlist, for that matter), and I don't know if I will be reading all of them this year either, as many don't come out in the US until a few weeks before the announcement. However, I have already read To Rise Again at a Decent Hour, and next I will be reading J by Howard Jacobson.

message 10: by binnudeya (new)

binnudeya | 1 comments Hello everyone! My name is Aya, I'm 22 and just graduated studying Mechatronics Engineering. I live in Cairo, Egypt.

I like reading all genres, especially literary fiction. And the book I'm most excited for is The Narrow Road to the Deep North since I still haven't read any David Mitchel anyways.

message 11: by Violet (new)

Violet Hello everyone!
My name is Violet, and I'm a science student from Vienna. One of my reading goals for this year was to read more contemporary fiction. And so far, I failed miserably.
However, after having a look at this year's longlist, I'm determined to read some of the books. I'll probably start with We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves.

message 12: by Carmin (last edited Jul 27, 2014 06:38AM) (new)

Carmin | 1 comments Hi guys! My name is Carmín. I'm 20 years old and a science student with a minor in english from Puerto Rico. I've only recently heard about the Man Booker Prize and feel excited to read some of the books that have made the long and shortlist. :)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello, book lovers My name is Joseph and I am 50 years old and live in Somerset, Kentucky USA where I am an educator. I am an avid reader but have only recently become familiar with the Man Booker Prize. I am challenging myself to read the entire long list before the winner is announced in October and I will be starting with History of the Rain by Niall Williams. I maintain a blog at http://josephdavidquinton.typepad.com and I would invite you to visit to track my progression through the long list. -Joseph

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (reddress) | 2 comments Hi I'm Lisa, I'm 29 and live in Scotland. I don't have any social media accounts ther than goodreads, only heard about Booktube from this thread I look forward watching some of the videos.
I'm really pleased with this years booker list there are a lot of books on it that I would have been interested regardless of being included on the list.
I'm going to start with 'We are all completely beside ourselves' I've read other books by Fowler enjoying them but never quite feeling she was booker worthy so it will be interesting to see of she's taken a different approach to this novel.
I'm also really looking forward to 'The wake' and 'Orfeo'.

message 16: by Darklittle (new)

Darklittle | 12 comments Hello everyone :)
My name is Hanna and I'm from Austria. I'm a student of English and history and I'm writing my master's thesis at the moment.
I love literary fiction, but I like to read almost everything as long as it's not too scary (no horror, no scary thrillers) or shallow.
I've already read "We are all completely beside ourselves" and loved it. I'm really looking forward to "The bone clocks" and I wish I could get my hands on an ARC.
I also have a blog: http://allthatmagic.wordpress.com

message 17: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Hi, I am Maureen, a lover of fiction and a reader of a number of previous Man Booker Prize winners, short-list nominees and long-list nominees. I am excited that the prize competition includes Americans as well as the British now.
I just finished We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler, and I was entranced, but it will comment more on the conversation about this book.
I look forward to being a part of this book club.

message 18: by Esther (new)

Welcome everyone :) great to have you with us.

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather (ladymcheth) Hi everyone! I'm Heather and I live in Australia. My Booktube channel is Illogical Betty.
I've never followed a literary award before so I'm quite interested in seeing how this all pans out. I won't be able to read all on the longlist but keen to read a couple and read/watch other people's reviews of the other books.
I'm quite happy to see an Australian author on the list!

message 20: by Aditi (new)

Aditi (aditi3991saha) | 6 comments Hi, I'm Aditi from India. And I'm book-addict. I love to read. End of story. I love reviewing them too.

message 21: by Neil (new)

Neil Hi Everyone,
I'm Neil in UK. I'm new to Goodreads and have just come across this group. I've been reading the Booker Prize longlist for several years and this year is no exception even with the change of rules which put me off for a while. I've read 4 of the books so far and will finish number 5 tonight. I've only revewed The Wake though as I read the others before I joined Goodreads. I'm looking forward to the discussions about other books.

message 22: by Anna (new)

Anna Safar | 3 comments Hi, I'm Anna. When I came across the longlist announcement, I thought it might be a nice challenge to read them all. I have read 4 books so far, and I'm now trying to guess which ones are less likely to make the shortlist, so I can read them before September 9...

message 23: by HyL (new)

HyL (hylsbooks) | 2 comments Hi all. HyL here in Alberta. Set myself the goal of reading the long list, which I'll start as soon as I finish the two I'm reading now (Luminaires & Sexing the Cherry). Not gonna worry about beating the judges to the short list. Am gonna worry about finishing in time to read the Gillers' long list!

Good to find a list with the right combination of focus and flexibility!

message 24: by Lee (new)

Lee Ann | 24 comments Hi! My name is Lee Ann and I live in Alabama. I am 59 years old and have an undergraduate degree in history and a Master's in accounting. In addition, I have been a lifelong bookworm. I have decided to try and read as many 2014 Man Booker books as I can read at an enjoyable pace. So far I have read four, which I have listed below and rated from my favorite (#1) followed by the others in order of preference:

#1 -- The Narrow Road to the Deep North (I gave this one a 5. It is a wonderful book. I love the way the author combines history with a really good story.)

#2 --The Blazing World. I also gave this one a 5. I really liked this book. It will probably turn some off with the feminism and the very in-depth footnote explanations of philosophy and neuorscience.

#3 --We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves. I enjoyed this book. IMHO, it is a solid 4.

#4 -- To Rise Again At A Decent Hour. I gave this one a 4, but it just missed being a 3. I enjoyed it, but am rather surprised that it was selected for the long list. Oh, but I do floss more often after reading this book; the major character is a dentist.

I am currently reading History of the Rain and suspect it will end up at or near the bottom of my list.

message 25: by tony (new)

w tony | 5 comments Hello everyone!

I'm tony and I live in London. I'm 23 years old and I am currently studying Politics, Philosophy and Economics at the university of Essex. I love to read, I do it since I'm a little kid. I am trying to read the long list, however, it's quite difficult, since I'm not a native speaker and my reading pace might be a little bit slow. I have read so far To Rise Again at a Decent Hour and now I am in the page 90 of J, by Howard Jacobson.

To Rise Again at a Decent Hour turned to be a good book, but that was all. On the other hand, I've found J enjoyable and deep in thought. I really hope I can contribute a little to the group and I look forward to have chats with anyone.

Cheers.

message 26: by Sze-lyn (new)

Sze-lyn | 1 comments Hello everyone! I'm Sze-Lyn from Kuching, Malaysia (some of you may identify Kuching as part of Borneo!). I've always loved reading, teach Literature for a living, and was a little bummed that no one in my little city here wanted to read this list of books together.

Then I found this group!

message 27: by Cathrine (new)

Cathrine (cathrinel) | 1 comments Cathrine from Norway here :-) . Fingers crossed for Ali Smith tomorrow :-) !

message 28: by Ann (new)

Ann Balmforth (annbalmforth) | 2 comments Hi, I'm Ann and live in Dorset, England. Until last Feb, I ran a book club in Swansea with work colleagues based around the Man Booker shortlist and other prize winners, but now I work from home as a garden designer. I have tried to get a face to face book club started but have not had any interest. If any of you live in Dorset then let me know and we can get together over a meal. I am most of the way through The Narrow Road to the Deep North, and although I was not impressed with the start of the book, it has grown on me. I hope to read one more before the winner is announced.

message 29: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (michigandreamer) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Teresa. I live near Detroit. I've read quite a few of the Booker Award books from past years and am excited to share the experience of reading some of this year's candidates with all of you.