The Giver (The Giver, #1) The Giver discussion

What do you think about this upcoming movie?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mercedes I want to know what you believe the movie is going to be like and why? I also want to know if you've been disappointed by any other movies based off books.

message 2: by Julie (last edited Jul 24, 2014 10:42AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Julie Gazca I am hopeful for the movie, though to be honest, it's been years since I've read The Giver. I hope to read it again, before too long! A book-to-film adaptation that disappointed me greatly was Fahrenheit 451. Bleh. And Twilight, the first movie.

Aliza the movie is going to be nothing like the book, that's clear from the trailer so i don't know what to expect

message 4: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron Sutton I'm excited to see the movie. The previews make me want to re-read the book.

Channah There was a movie of Farhenheit 451? That's just... odd.
I heard there was a new trailer that showed it in black and white, but the one I saw was just painful (full color in the beginning). I think it could be really cool if done right... I guess we'll see.
I find that most movies based off of books are disappointing. I think the most recent awful one I saw was Ender's Game. I can't believe OSC did that to his own book.

Mercedes Fake wrote: "There was a movie of Farhenheit 451? That's just... odd.
I heard there was a new trailer that showed it in black and white, but the one I saw was just painful (full color in the beginning). I think..."

I didn't read or watch The Ender's Game but a lot of people told me it was a good movie and book. The book I'm currently reading, 5th Wave is becoming a movie and I think it'll be pretty cool. I was told to read the Legend Trilogy but I didn't make it past like the first chapter because I for some reason couldn't get into it. But the preview for The Giver just seems so weird maybe the actual movie will make sense and the preview is just edited weirdly.

message 7: by Lev (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lev I'm excited for the film especially after watching the new trailers and featurettes that show the film is closer to the book then we have ever thought! They have the choosing ceremony, Black and white, The memories, the snow memory, the baby, etc. I think we will all be pleasentley surprised from how the film will end up.

Carinne This movie is going to suck! I mean.. Maybe it would have been a good movie, if they didn't say it was an "adaptation" but they have and as an adaptation from book to movie it will suck! They will ruin it more than the Twilight movies ruined the good enough book that was Twilight... Ok, maybe i'm exaggerating because hello, Meryl Streep. But still, that's another thing when was Meryl Streeps character suppose to be this villain they make her seem like in the trailer!?! Why is the character so old. Why is that girl in the red hair rebelling?!?! Why did they show the most gut-wrenching part (when the father kills the other twin) in the trailer? All these questions that just don't add up. This will be disappointing indeed.

Mercedes Carinne wrote: "This movie is going to suck! I mean.. Maybe it would have been a good movie, if they didn't say it was an "adaptation" but they have and as an adaptation from book to movie it will suck! They will ..."

Well I'm not going to lie the book was kind of super wierd like, some of those characters would feel like villains because we weren't raised in that society. I think that the movie can go either way and who knows maybe as a movie it will be pretty good. But based off the book it'll probably be more unreliable.

message 10: by Juliet (last edited Aug 08, 2014 09:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juliet Hollywood will ruin this book for me. -_-
(beware, this is an angry rant). I watched the trailer and was very dissapointed. FIRST OF ALL, Jonas and the others need to be twelve. TWELVE! Not sixteen. There are no "police" that capture Jonas and the baby, he was never captured. What is up with the spaceship? This isn't an alien invasion!! Now there is a ship that aims to find Jonas, but it never lifts him up in the air! More violence, more romance, random crap the movie DOESN'T NEED. This could be a PG movie if Hollywood would stop changing the story into something it's not! What is up with the red haired girl (Fiona) suddenly rebelling? She plays a minor role! (Sigh) I do not like Taylor Swift in this movie (she's a singer, not an actor) I just hope Meryl Streep and Jeff Bridges save this movie. At least in the second trailer it's in black & white. It better be in the movie.
I'll still watch it, but I expect very low reviews.
STOP RUINING THE BOOKS HOLLYWOOD! D;

(Also The Giver needs a longer beard)

Tessa I want to watch the movie, but I am still suspicious of it. I do not like that Taylor Swift is in it. It almost seems that the producers are trying to turn it into a sci-fi romance. I mean they changed the pills to injections for some reason and they are trying to make Jonas and Fiona's relationship more than it is.
On the other hand, I am extremely happy that the trailer is in black and white. I also like most of the casting (except for Taylor Swift, see above). I am willing to give the movie a shot. At least Hollywood could not make it worse than The Vampire Academy movie or *shiver* the Percy Jackson movies.

Paolo Will watch... but given everything regarding the production (the cast, crew, and the trailer), I'm not expecting it to be good.

Mercedes Helen wrote: "I want to watch the movie, but I am still suspicious of it. I do not like that Taylor Swift is in it. It almost seems that the producers are trying to turn it into a sci-fi romance. I mean they cha..." I was not a fan of the Vampire academy movie while I loved the books but there were some parts of that movie I think that made me laugh. And things can get worse.

message 14: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben Washington I'm hoping for color introduction like they did in Pleasantville; and a general gradual awakening. Like very silent at first, no music score, black and white; then slowly we start to see some colors that stand out... the sounds of birds chirping, the slow introduction of background music, and that sort of thing. If done right; this could be an amazing movie. But... since when has Hollywood done it right? Or at least, how rarely has Hollywood done it right?

Either way, I'm excited to check it out.

Amphitrite The trailer looks nothing like the book!!!!Since when did he tell Fiona anything or since when did he turn 16! Plus nobody cared about what he was doing there weren't people who actually knew what he was up too or people who acted like Jeanine Matthews from Divergent and is all like this is for your own good that we have to live this way. And he and Fiona didn't have time to fall in love:( I hope the movie is better than the trailer

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

From what I've seen of the trailer so far, I feel like the director will make a complete mess of things (like most books made into movies so far). Still, I am interested to watch the film to see how it all works out. I really hope it's somewhat accurate.

Elizabeth Nunez Doesn't look like they are sticking to the story, but it looks ok.

message 18: by Izzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Izzy Jonas needs to be younger, he looks sixteen when he's supposed to be twelve.

Madeleine Demiris i don't think it will be bad in itself, but I don't think that it will be at all like the book. I don't think i'm going to watch it, because i'm afraid it will ruin the book for me.