What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1)
This topic is about The Agony of Alice
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA/young adult (teens) about a girl who is close with her older brother and is tone deaf. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eliza (last edited Mar 20, 2018 06:49AM) (new)

Eliza Forman | 2 comments I remember reading this book when I was a teenager, so about 2004-2008 and was only getting brief moments of memory thinking about it this morning, so this is a choppy description. The main character is a teenage girl, who I think lives either just with her brother or with her brother and father who is always working, possibly because the mother has passed away. The older brother has a girlfriend who the main character views as a mother-figure and role model. She cooks and helps clean up. Possibly the brother is a musician and the mother was as well, but the main character is tone deaf and can't sing. This comes to light in a scene with a love interest, possibly in the brothers band, who offers to teach her. The brother's girlfriend is older and womanly, whereas the main characters feels like she still has a young girl's body and it makes her self conscious. The brother and the girlfriend have a fight at some point and it is about something serious that the main character doesn't quite understand and it is a coming of age moment for her.

The girl also has a group of friends, though my memories are fuzzier about this. She has one friend who they worry about because she isn't eating, but they find out it is because she likes a boy and worries about eating in front of him and looking gross.

It is also possible that the girl has a charm bracelet, or has a love interest that works at a charm bracelet store? And she may find letters or photos that give her deeper understanding of the mother in the attic of their house.

Thank you for any help with this!!

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1529 comments The Glory Girl is about a teenage girl who is the only one in her family who can't sing in tune. I'm not sure if the rest of the plot fits your description though - it's been years since I read it.

message 3: by Eliza (new)

Eliza Forman | 2 comments Solved this on reddit!! It’s the Agony of Alice series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor :)

message 4: by El (new)

El | 502 comments The Agony of Alice for the click. Glad you found your book. You can edit the heading to indicate this is Solved.