dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacqueline (last edited Mar 27, 2018 04:54AM) (new) - added it

Jacqueline Dubois Pasquier (aleajac) | 114 comments Mod
Édouard Louis

TIME TO BUY 2ND BOOK!
The End of Eddy

link to full article

Dear members and readers,

It's time to buy second book either in English 'The End of Eddy' or in French 'Pour en finir avec Eddy Bellegueule' by Edouard Louis.

This book, published in France in 2014, was an instant bestseller and was very much talked about in France. It's the sensational coming-of-age story of the writer who was born in 1992 and therefore was only 22 at the time. Similar to 'The Perfect Nanny'the tone is set in the short opening line
'From my childhood, I have no happy memories'
in a 200-page narrative that is so captivating that you may only be able to put it down at the end!

Please do let us know if you're going to read with us, as we continue this journey of discovery of modern French literature!

message 2: by Jacqueline (last edited Mar 22, 2018 06:50AM) (new) - added it

Carolyne Lee Jacqueline, is the next book, 'The End of Eddy', called 'En finir avec Eddy Bellegueule' in its original version?
Terry Cagle I hope so, Carolyne. I just ordered that title.
Sallie Davies I was able find it in our library network and have a physical copie on its way....but the story of the book sounds interesting.
Jacqueline Dubois You'll have a captivating story with this book but also a sociological description of the people in poor Northern rural France , 100 miles away from Paris but in reality, it feels like if it was another planet!
Sue Pelletier I think I'd like to read it in French as well, some dialogue is so brutal in English!
Kerrin-gai Hofstrand-easom I think it would be brutal in French as well as there is no escaping the meaning of the words...no matter what language xx
Chelsea R Dagger Following the recommendation I've purchased the book.
Anna Chek The meeting of the group are in Paris?

message 3: by Jacqueline (new) - added it

Jacqueline Dubois Edith and Deanie, will you be in Paris for our next book club meeting at the beginning of June ?
Edith Tanniru yes I will!
Deanie Houghtaling No, I’ll only be there until May 20th. However, I do plan on posting when I arrive in Paris in case anyone would like to meet up somewhere!

NEW FRENCH FICTION IN TRANSLATION : My French...

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Édouard Louis (other topics)