Henri Matisse
MOMA, NYC

message 3: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments

Dance at Bougival
Pierre-Auguste Renoir
MFA Boston

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 0 comments This was the first thing I thought of, although the title doesn't carry the theme:

The Singing Butler by Jack Vettriano

message 5: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments Tracey wrote: "This was the first thing I thought of, although the title doesn't carry the theme:

The Singing Butler by Jack Vettriano"

I love the sharp colors and contrasts in this one.

message 6: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 0 comments That bolt of red down the middle... and the fact that despite the formal dress the lady is barefoot... I've always liked this painting. Despite the maltreatment of the servants.

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark André Heather wrote: "El Jaleo
John Singer Sargent
1882"

Never seen this before. Love it! All the complex shadowing. Cool!

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark André Heather wrote: "Henri Matisse
MOMA, NYC"

I had to get out an Art book for this one. Reminds me so much of The Joy of Life (1905-06) which I like very much! So it turns out, I had to use a magnifying glass, that the dancers in Joy are arrange and depicted in a very similar fashion as here! Cool!

message 9: by Mark (new)

Mark André Heather wrote: "Dance at Bougival
Pierre-Auguste Renoir
MFA Boston"

The Renoir has also been a favorite for a long time!

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark André Tracey wrote: "This was the first thing I thought of, although the title doesn't carry the theme:

I agree, the title doesn't make much sense to me either.
I think the reddressed woman is barefoot because they are on a beach.
It's interesting that we get no full faces from anyone, which sort of forces the viewer to become more aware of their rather complimentary poses and especially the umbrellas!

message 11: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments Tracey wrote: "That bolt of red down the middle... and the fact that despite the formal dress the lady is barefoot... I've always liked this painting. Despite the maltreatment of the servants."

I didn't notice that she was barefoot. Interesting. I think it is kind of sensual, delicate, feminine. I'm not sure how to describe my thoughts on this. I love her dress, too!

message 12: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments Mark wrote: "Heather wrote: "Henri Matisse
MOMA, NYC"

I had to get out an Art book for this one. Reminds me so much of The Joy of Life (1905-06) which I like very much! So it turns out, I had to use a mag..."

I had to Google the painting you mentioned The Joy of Life. Though it is not with the theme of this thread, I will post it here so we can see to what you are referring.

Henri Matisse

I don't see to what you are referencing in the similarity of the dances, though. Do you mean kind of in a circular pattern? I like the way he paints human figures. I love his work anyway!

message 13: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Mar 21, 2018 07:42AM) (new)

Heather | 8396 comments Mark wrote: "Tracey wrote: "This was the first thing I thought of, although the title doesn't carry the theme:

I agree, the title doesn't make much sense to me either...."

I agree, Mark.

message 14: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Mar 21, 2018 07:44AM) (new)

Heather | 8396 comments Tracey wrote: "This was the first thing I thought of, although the title doesn't carry the theme:

I think the maid's apron contrasting on the other side of the painting with his handkerchief adds a lot to the overall color contrast of the whole painting.

message 15: by Mark (new)

Mark André Heather wrote: "Tracey wrote: "This was the first thing I thought of, although the title doesn't carry the theme:

I think the maid's apron contrasting on the other side o..."

I agree. And since you brought my attention to it I think all the little bits of white go together. Both men's collars and also their cuffs. With also the white line of surf running across in the background.

message 16: by Mark (new)

Mark André Heather wrote: "Mark wrote: "Heather wrote: "Henri Matisse
MOMA, NYC"

I had to get out an Art book for this one. Reminds me so much of The Joy of Life (1905-06) which I like very much! So it turns out, I had..."

I thought when I first saw your Matisse posting that it was a close-up of the dancing figures in Joy of Life; even though there is an extra figure in Joy. The circle, the nakedness, and gestures of the figures, especially the woman closest to the viewer, her whole body stretched out at a 45 degree angle, left left arm reaching out to the others, her right leg extended behind her, and the shape of her dark hair are all almost identical.

message 17: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie Heather wrote: "Dance at Bougival
Pierre-Auguste Renoir
MFA Boston"

I like this painting by Renoir. Had the privilege to see it at Musee d'orsay.