What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA/children's fiction: Teenage girl finds cat that talks

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maya (new)

Maya | 4 comments Plot: The books main character was a teenage girl and at some point she takes in a talking cat who guides her and her family through some problems. The family includes a father who writes music and a younger brother if I remember correctly. The cat eventually leaves and the rest of the family stop believing it ever spoke.
Cover: A light blue, I think, maybe with some musical notes?
Read: About two years ago, think its publication was fairly recent.
Thank you!

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4730 comments Do you remember any other fantasy elements, besides the talking cat?

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36943 comments Mod
Maya, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 4: by Maya (new)

Maya | 4 comments This is very outdated now, but I am still looking for it! The cat was the only fantasy element. I remember at some point she comes on her period and the cat reassures her. I think her dad then runs to the garage to get her supplies.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 30958 comments Mod
No worries, we have requests that are much older.

A guess - The Magical Adventures of Tara and the Talking Kitten by Diana Cooper?

Maya, can you tell us more about the talking cat - male/female, what does it look like, what's its personality, how does the girl find the cat, etc.?

message 6: by Maya (new)

Maya | 4 comments Good guess, but that's not it. The cat was female (and not a kitten). It was a maternal sort of cat.

A lot of the other details are hazy now, but I know the music element featured heavily - the father is a composer who is unable to compose anything but silence for a while. I'm pretty sure near the end, the girl, her brother and father dance/play new music together. It was aimed at a young teen/ teen audience.

The thing I remember most clearly is the sky blue cover with the silhouette of the cat, and some musical element -either musical notes or the cat was playing an instrument.

message 7: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 14484 comments Still looking for this one, Maya?

message 8: by Maya (new)

Maya | 4 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Still looking for this one, Maya?"

Yes! With far less urgency but I would still love to know what it was :)

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 14484 comments You might try looking at this list, to see if anything looks familiar.

Forget Meow! - Talking Cats in Fiction

message 10: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4730 comments Maybe, CD and the Giant Cat CD and the Giant Cat  by Darrel Odgers ?

Here is the description on Google Books:
CD never expected to be assigned to work at Desert Depot, certainly not to work alone, but there was no arguing with AusLaw. Maybe her job wouldn't be so bad, especially if she were allowed to make her own music discs. At least, that's what she thought before she saw the golden eyes peering at her from the dark of the desert night.