You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

64 views
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > August 2014 - Books Announced

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Two very different books for the month of August!

Second Star To The Right
and
Empire of the Sun

As always, there is no strict timeframe in which to read the Group Themed Read - you can start right now, or if you have already read one of the books, join in the discussion from August 1.

The only criteria is that you need to join a discussion before the end of the month to be eligible for a badge.


message 2: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments I have set up a buddy read for Cloud Atlas as "another book on this month's theme." Will participants in this buddy read be eligible for badges, or do we need to post something in the main theme?


message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 46323 comments Just make sure you leave a message in the discussion for other titles in the theme so that Amy knows to check the buddy read thread for participants.


message 4: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments Thanks, Janice.


message 5: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19365 comments I read Empire of the Sun a long time ago, before the movie. There are scenes in this book that will stay stuck in your memory forever. If I remember it correctly, I could not put it down once I had started it.


message 6: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19365 comments I had thought of reading another book that I already had available, but I think I will read Second Star To The Right, since it jumped into my Nook last night thanks to my daughter.


message 7: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 1988 comments What a sweet daughter! I'm reading that one too Cherie.


Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments Cherie wrote: "I had thought of reading another book that I already had available, but I think I will read Second Star To The Right, since it jumped into my Nook last night thanks to my daughter."

Cherie, I recently read it and I loved it!


message 9: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 8 comments I want to read both books. I've have been reading a lot of historical fiction this summer so I think I'm going to read Second Star To The Right.


message 10: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19365 comments Dawn wrote: "I want to read both books. I've have been reading a lot of historical fiction this summer so I think I'm going to read Second Star To The Right."

I read Cloud Atlas last year. It was not a good fit for me, but I know that a lot of others really liked it. There is probably an old thread with the discussion if you look around.


message 11: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19365 comments Marnie wrote: "What a sweet daughter! I'm reading that one too Cherie."

Yeah, I think I will keep her. :0)


message 12: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 9954 comments Cherie wrote: "I read Cloud Atlas last year. It was not a good fit for me, but I know that a lot of others really liked it. There is probably an old thread with the discussion if you look around. ..."

November 2012 Group Read Cloud Atlas


message 13: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19365 comments Almeta wrote: "Cherie wrote: "I read Cloud Atlas last year. It was not a good fit for me, but I know that a lot of others really liked it. There is probably an old thread with the discussion if you look around. ...."

wow, it seems like it was only yesterday!


message 14: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19365 comments Anne (Booklady) wrote: "Cherie wrote: "I had thought of reading another book that I already had available, but I think I will read Second Star To The Right, since it jumped into my Nook last night thanks t..."

Yes, Anne, you are the reason I added it to my TBR list. Thank you!


back to top