Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Re-reads

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments Since I've only been an active member of this group for about 6 months, please forgive me if you all have already had a discussion like this before.

But I was just curious if any of you re-read books or not? And if you do, what books are they? It can go all the way back to your childhood or high school days or just more recently, I don't care. I know sometimes in our lives we will re-read a book at a different time in our life to see if we will feel differently about it then we originally did. But for the sake of this conversation, I am interested in books you have read over and over cuz you loved them so much, even if it was at a different time in your life. So let's say books you have read MORE than twice. What were/are they?

For me, let me start by saying that I wish I was able to re-read more often but it's hard to find the time when your TBR pile is so huge and you're participating in active reading groups, etc.

When I was younger I re-read a lot more because that was before I discovered Shelfari. It was hard to find new good books to read because I would just go to the library and stare at the shelves over and over. Once I discovered Shelfari, my TBR pile just grew and grew and I've hardly had time to re-read anything since!

But anyway, when I was really young, say age 12 through age 25, I would read these books over and over:

Charlotte's Web--E.B. White
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry--Mildred D. Taylor
Jacob Have I Loved--Katherine Patterson
Where Are the Children?--Mary Higgins Clark
The Rapture of Canaan--Sheri Reynolds
Fay--Larry Brown
Great Expectations--Charles Dickens
Deceptions--Judith Michael
Many Danielle Steel and V.C. Andrews books

Since age 25 and on these are the only books I've re-read more than twice:

Carrie Pilby--Caren Lissner (My favorite book for a single female introvert)
Tully--Paullina Simons (The characters stayed in my head for months after I first read it, which was in my 20's though)
Wuthering Heights--Emily Bronte (My all-time favorite book)

But UGH there are so many that I absolutely loved and WANT to re-read but haven't found time. Most notably in my mind:

The Woman in White--Wilkie Collins
The Bronze Horseman trilogy--Paullina Simons
Whitney, My Love--Judith McNaught
The Snow Child--Eowyn Ivey
Gone With the Wind and Scarlett

I'm excited to read what you all have to say!

message 2: by annapi (last edited Mar 19, 2018 09:26PM) (new)

annapi | 5068 comments I used to do that more, when I was a kid. Nowadays I find there are too many books, too little time! But the books I used to read over and over as a kid and into my teens were:

Watership Down by Richard Adams
The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
The Black Stallion by Walter Farley
Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (and I read The Silmarillion 3x)
The Silver Brumby series (books 1-5) by Elyne Mitchell
Big Red by Jim Kjelgaard
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
White Fang and Call of the Wild by Jack London
What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Books 1-12 of The Three Investigators series by Robert Arthur
Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham
Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes
The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pene du Bois
Young Fu of the Upper Yangtze by Elizabeth Foreman Lewis

Nowadays there are just too many books and too little time. The most recent re-reads I can remember were in 2012 - I was in the hospital for a partial hip replacement, and re-read the In Death series by J.D. Robb from book 1 to about 25-26 or thereabouts over the course of a week or so. I needed my comfort reads :).

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments annapi wrote: "I used to do that more, when I was a kid. Nowadays I find there are too many books, too little time! But the books I used to read over and over as a kid and into my teens were:..."

Oh my goodness I have not read ANY of those except Little Women!

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I very rarely re-read books, with the exception of books that I am reading to my son. I do plan to read A Little Life again at some stage, but mostly I feel as though there are too many books in the sea!

message 5: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5068 comments Of those books I listed, the ones I have re-read as an adult and would do so again are Watership Down, The Chronicles of Prydain, and The Lord of the Rings. Watership, Prydain, Narnia and Wolves of Willoughby Chase I read aloud to my kids.

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I'm not a re-read er for two reasons. the experience is different, which can be a good thing but I'm afraid it will ruin my experience with the book. Second, there are so many books to get to.

I have read The Giver 3x and The Outsiders and The Kite Runner 2x. I've read a few other again with my daughter like Number the Stars.

I hope to re-read Poisonwood Bible again.

That's about all my experience with rereading. I don't count books I never finished in high school for assigned reading and I've went back and read those like Mythology and The Once and Future King.

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 701 comments I've re-read Harry Potter God knows how many times lol! Apart from that, most of the times I've had to re-read books was so that I could find quotes for my essays at University.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8846 comments I never ever reread books - ever. But I keep beloved books on my shelves as old friends with the idea that I might. The only books I have reread are the entire Harry Potter Series, and To Kill A Mockingbird, 30 years later and the upcoming Catcher in the Rye.

message 9: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1403 comments I will occasionally reread a book, but I often relisten to books on audio. It works nicely when I am doing a task that requires some concentration because I don't want to risk missing anything in a new book, but in an old favorite I can zone out for a minute or two and know exactly what I missed. I also sometimes will relisten to earlier books in a series I am reading to remind myself what happened before a new one comes out.

message 10: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6002 comments The book I have re-read the most is To Kill a Mockingbird ... I've lost track but probably close to 20 times since I first read it in 1964.

And I re-read Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory every few years (for a few years there in the '90s and early '00s I read it annually). But that isn't much more than a short-story / novella.

In general, though, the older I get, the less likely I am to re-read. But if it's a book-club discussion book and it's been a long time since I last read it, I will at least skim through it again to refresh my memory.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 20, 2018 07:39AM) (new)

Tessa said, Once I discovered Shelfari, my TBR pile just grew and grew and I've hardly had time to re-read anything since!

Shelfari and Goodreads! ....I used to check out the "buy 3 get one free" table of bestsellers at the bookstore to get ideas. Now my tbr lists are overflowing with historical fiction and nonfiction books. It makes me aware of how many potential good books there are out there. Rereads cuts into my free time I could be using to try a new book..... of course, so does posting on GR, lol.

As others have said, I am also less likely to reread books now. Beyond the time element, rereads make it more likely I will feel disappointed or notice flaws in the story that I overlooked when I was younger. When I do occasionally reread, I prefer the audio version because it creates a different experience and perspective.

I have reread Harry Potter Boxset multiple times and enjoyed the new illustrated versions being released annually. Other rereads: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Little Women and A Christmas Carol.

message 12: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2938 comments I frequently, even obsessivley, reread. I've done that all of my life. These days it's more often re-listen. I don't usually reread an entire book from beginning to end, but I like to revisit my favorite parts. That said, I think I've been straight through The Lord of the Rings four or five times. That series has gotten me through several overwhelming traumatic events. Middle Earth is my go to place for a brief vacation from reality, saves my sanity. I also reread my favorite poetry for mental health breaks. I don't memorize well unless the words have been set to music, but there's something very calming about opening a book of poetry, finding the verse I was thinking of and reading it from beginning to end.

Perversely, the thing I like best about PBT ( in addition to the wonderful people) is that is forces me to read new books. I can get too obsessively stuck in a reading rut. The monthly tags and excellent recommendations keep me moving forward.

message 13: by Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (last edited Mar 20, 2018 10:10AM) (new)

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Since my childhood I reread very little, relatively speaking. But I'm finding I'm starting to do it a bit more these days, as so much of what I read that's new to me is dreck.

I don't remember off the top of my head many titles, but I know that when I was young I did often re-read, simply because we were too poor to buy many books, and our library was too small to have enough.

I know I loved, every time that I read them,
The Secret Garden
The Little Prince
The Phantom Tollbooth

Oh, and I do now have firm plans to reread everything by Michael Perry, especially
Truck and Montaigne in Barn Boots: An Amateur Ambles Through Philosophy.

Also Becky Chambers' The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet and A Closed and Common Orbit.

Ok, you got me remembering... I did just reread (but the second time was a listen) The Host.

message 14: by Joi (last edited Mar 20, 2018 10:38AM) (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments Pretty much the only re-reading I do is for nostalgia (Harry Potter series), and if I haven't read something in over 10 years.

For me- that means reading in or before high school, versus reading as an adult. I can justify the re-reading because I don't remember the books well, and I think I'll have a different perspective on the book now that I'm older and (hopefully) a little more mature.

Sometimes I do want to go back and re-read fun books, but I find there just are too many on the TBR and I'd rather look to something new.

message 15: by LibraryCin (last edited Mar 20, 2018 04:40PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8619 comments Back in high school, I did sometimes reread books. For a long time after that, I never reread anything. Now, I do on rare occasions (though it's become more common the past few years for a few reasons).

Now, some of the books I reread are childhood favourites: "Little House" series; I want to reread "Anne of Green Gables" series; Black Beauty, Charlotte's Web...

Also, some are for my two f2f book clubs, depending how much I liked it the first time around and how long it has been since that first reading. However, if possible, for those rereads, I might try to find it in a different format: usually audio, assuming I already read the print.

I may reread a few old Stephen King books I have kicking around, as well. Some of them, I don't remember if I read them way back! The other adult books I can think of recently that I reread are "Into Thin Air" and "IT" (by SK).

message 16: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments I do love re-reading favorites but I barely ever do it. There's just so many books I haven't read yet!

message 17: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I used to re-read books all the time, but these days I rarely do. Most of the time it’s because I often don’t have the same experience which then taints the wonderful memory that I had of the book. Many of the books I loved as a 20 year old don’t have the same appeal to me as a 50 year old. I also have a huge TBR.

I will occasionally re-read the first books in a trilogy in order to finish it. I have been less disappointed because it much closer to the orig8nal reading.

message 18: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1365 comments I don't reread as often as I used to, but I still reread quite a bit. I love revisiting my favorite stories, especially Dune, Harry Potter, and Twilight. I reread those every few years.

I usually reread books when a new book a series comes out because I want to remember why I like that book as much as I did or get immersed in that world again or become endeared to those characters again. If I don't, then I often don't like the sequels as much as I would've had I read the books right after each other.

I'm very much in the minority in my book club. Most of my book club doesn't reread, so it doesn't surprise me that it's leaning that way here as well.

message 19: by ~*Kim*~ (new)

~*Kim*~ | 509 comments I would reread books as a kid, but those were the short children's books. Now I have too many on my shelf and too many on my wish list to take the time to reread something. There's only one book that I would consider rereading and it's one of my favorites, An Inconvenient Wife by Megan Chance.

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments Amy wrote: "I never ever reread books - ever. But I keep beloved books on my shelves as old friends with the idea that I might..."

Oh this made me laugh. I do the same thing. I like to "think" I'm going to re-read them.

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments Cora wrote: "I will occasionally reread a book, but I often relisten to books on audio. It works nicely when I am doing a task that requires some concentration because I don't want to risk missing anything in a..."

I like this idea. I do the same thing with watching movies while I have another task to do.

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments JoLene wrote: "I used to re-read books all the time, but these days I rarely do. Most of the time it’s because I often don’t have the same experience which then taints the wonderful memory that I had of the book...."

That's interesting that a couple mentioned that now. I have never had that experience with re-reading.

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments Well it sounds like most of us feel the same way here. Too many books and not enough time! :)

message 24: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2502 comments I’m more than happy to reread when a book is a ‘happy place’ (like Pride and Prejudice, HP, or LOTR). Childhood favourites can fit into that category too.

The other time I re-read is when it’s part of an epic series and I want to read my way into the new volume. Totally and unashamedly self indulgent :) I’m doing that with Janny Wurts ‘Mistwraith’ series at the moment - I got book 11, but have to reread its predecessors first (am up to #8). Dorothy Dunnett’s Lymond series is another fave, and I’ve read the Diana Gabaldon books more than once too, except for the latest, which I don’t have.

Of course while I am re-reading, I’m looking at the untouched TBR on the table and feeling guilty ... and yet strangely happy at the same time 😊

message 25: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1490 comments I do like to re-read on occasion. When I read the Bell Jar for the first time (not that long ago) I read it again 6 weeks later, and then did the audio after that and am likely to read it again. Some books just do that.

I've also re-read some childhood favorites. Like just re-read all the Little House books . I love re-reading too ... just not enough time. Sometimes, now, if I want to re-read something I'll do the audio.

message 26: by Barbara M (last edited Mar 22, 2018 01:25PM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2275 comments I never have and still don't reread. That said, I have a caveat, I have read books to my grandchildren that I've read before but since I don't see them very often, that's a limited number of books (we live on the opposite end of the U.S.) We used to Skype to read but they are pretty grown up now and the closest we get is book discussions when we've read the same book.

message 27: by Mary (new)

Mary B | 112 comments Interesting topic! I'm with you on doing a lot of rereading when I was younger.... and your taste in literature was a lot better than mine. I guess I was reading Dumas and Douglas Adams repeatedly but there was also a lot of Sweet Valley and Baby-Sitters Club that I'm not exactly proud of.

I made an effort for a long time to not reread. I got through soooo many more books which was great. But I didn't have that joy of discovering a detail I missed the last time. And I didn't always love what I was reading. So I started doing an occasional reread when I was in a funk. If I hadn't been reading and didn't want to concentrate, I'd just reread Harry Potter. And sure enough I wanted to read everything after that! These days I think I'm rereading as much as I'm trying new things. Another thing I've noticed is that I catch more reading series back to back. I had a rule about not reading multiple books by the same author sequentially. Also, I tended to read things when they were released and series could sometimes have long gaps between books (looking at you George R.R. Martin). I really liked the Magicians series the first time through but I reread it after discovering the tv show. Now love it. Maybe one of my favorite series ever. And I'll reread it again. So sometimes I am in favor of a reread... unless it's something you really hated the first time, like Jane Eyre. It's still awful the second time.

message 28: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments Forgot to mention- I will re-read if a book has an upcoming movie coming out and I want a refresher.

Can't decide if I want to reread Ready Player One before seeing the movie. It was such a fun one- PBT Favorite!

message 29: by Tessa (FutureAuthor23) (last edited Mar 22, 2018 08:43PM) (new)

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments Mary wrote: "Interesting topic! I'm with you on doing a lot of rereading when I was younger.... and your taste in literature was a lot better than mine..."

Oh don't be mistaken. I too read and re-read lots of Sweet Valley High and The Babysitter's Club when I was young. And not ashamed of it! Haha.

message 30: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8619 comments I never reread Sweet Valley High - just kept going with the series! It kept going and going and going. I had other little teen series I read, as well, but again, no rereads on those.

I do remember rereading at least one of the little teen romances, though. I can't remember what the teen romance series was called. They weren't a continuing series like SVH, but... OH! I think they were called the Sweet Dreams series!?

message 31: by LibraryCin (last edited Mar 22, 2018 08:26PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8619 comments YES! That's them!:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_D...

ETA: This is the link on LibraryThing for the series, but looking at the covers helps me remember them way more than just the titles!!!! omg!
http://www.librarything.com/series/Sw...

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments LibraryCin wrote: "YES! That's them!:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_D......"

Haha. Yep. I read some of those too. And lots of Lurlene McDaniels. (Too Young to Die, etc)

message 33: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I’m a bit too old for Sweet Valley High and Babysitters Club, but I did reread The Promise by Danielle Steel (the book I ever read by her) and A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveareaux more times than I can count. Now you know my guilty reading secret!!

message 34: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments I don't reread a lot, but I do occasionally.

Harry Potter and Twilight are two series that I have read multiple times and will definitely reread them again. I will be studying for the bar exam next year and they may be perfect relaxation of an evening after full days of studying!

Lately, I have been rereading some books I read when I was younger. And, often it is spurred by a movie. Most recently, A Wrinkle in Time, but I would like to reread The Little House series. Man, I loved those books.

Then, there are books I would LOVE to reread, but it is hard to make myself do it when there are so many other great books out there. Gone With The Wind tops that list.

message 35: by ~*Kim*~ (new)

~*Kim*~ | 509 comments Tessa (FutureAuthor23) wrote: "
Haha. Yep. I read some of those too. And lots of Lurlene McDaniels. (Too Young to Die, etc)"

I read those too! Too Young to Die was one of my favorites when I was younger.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicole R wrote: "I would like to reread The Little House series. Man, I loved those books. ....."

I am almost finished with Caroline: Little House, Revisited and it made me curious about Little House in the Big Woods. It has been so many years since I have read it, and don't remember it well, so I put a hold on it through the library. That's the way it goes, especially since I stated before I rarely reread books. Had to eat my words! I hope I still love the story even when filtered through an adult's perspective.

Good luck with your upcoming bar exam studies, Nicole. Some light reading to balance it out all it, probably will be a priority.

message 37: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2502 comments Nicole R wrote: "I don't reread a lot, but I do occasionally.

Harry Potter and Twilight are two series that I have read multiple times and will definitely reread them again. I will be studying for the bar exam next year..."

I hope the bar exam studies are really interesting, Nicole, and not just a slog . I really enjoyed doing my equivalent. And I'm reasonably sure I read at least one Harry Potter book during that time!!

message 38: by Jason (last edited Mar 24, 2018 02:41PM) (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I am going to add to my answer. There is one book I reread over and over and over. As a child, my favorite book was "Oh The Places You'll Go" by Shel Silverstein. My sister gave me this book again for my graduation "Wear Sunscreen" pasted inside (Link for Wear Suncreen http://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/poetry/m...)

I reread this book and this Poem, essay or whatever you call it....whenever things arent going well...because sometimes they won't.

message 39: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8846 comments That is a beautiful poem. I wish there was a way to keep it.

message 40: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments You can copy and paste into word and then print it. (You do still remember how to copy and paste?) or you can bookmark that page.

message 41: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6002 comments Jason wrote: "I am going to add to my answer. There is one book I reread over and over and over. As a child, my favorite book was "Oh The Places You'll Go" by Shel Silverstein. ..."

Just to give credit where credit is due ... Oh, The Places You'll Go! is by Dr. Seuss

And it's also one of those books that I re-read whenever I feel a little stuck on life's journey. It never fails to comfort and inspire me.

message 42: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6002 comments Amy wrote: "That is a beautiful poem. I wish there was a way to keep it."

Amy ... if you send me your email address, I'll send it to you as a word document attachment which you can then save to your computer (or just print out and attach to your refrigerator with a magnet)

message 43: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8846 comments I think the new plan is to find it on the Internet and save or print it. But thank you, that’s very sweet. I was moved by it. I find that the last 36 hours has been a massive technological education. I have found myself recently joining the world. Even less time for my beloved books.