Manga & Anime Lovers discussion

recommendations

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marty (new)

Marty | 1 comments I have read everything by Kazuo Koike and Goseki Kojima and really enjoyed The Legend of Kamui by Sanpei Shirato. They share a certain mood. There is an attention to small historical details, along with illustrations of nature and everyday life that I find appealing. Of course there is also all of the Bushido stuff and severed limbs, and the overly explicit sexual content that really seems unnecessary at times, but above all that there is something about the minimalist style of the art and slow moving rural sequences that I really like. Do you have any recommendations for other books that fall into the same category?

message 2: by Raven (new)

Raven (pastexe) | 17 comments We should have a 2018 manga reading challenge

Rae of Sunshine Wolf wrote: "We should have a 2018 manga reading challenge"

I agree!

message 4: by Hope (new)

Hope | 9 comments Wolf wrote: "We should have a 2018 manga reading challenge"

Also agree :) Would be interested to see what was involved.

message 5: by Amber (new)

Amber (amiwonder) | 5 comments Have you ever read Golden Kamuy??? It's really good and is getting English translations right now. It's historical and at times gory, with sprinkled comedy. It's fun!

message 7: by Amber (new)

Amber (amiwonder) | 5 comments Doc wrote: "This is now Historical Fiction recommendations. :)

Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 1
Blade of the Immortal Omnibus 1
A Bride's Story, Vol. 1
[book:..."

I concur, A Bride's Story is really good!

Marissa (or Cordelia) Squires (aquamarine7) | 31 comments Raven wrote: "We should have a 2018 manga reading challenge"
Yes we should!

message 9: by BriTastic (new)

BriTastic (britasticreads) | 34 comments A Bride's Story and Emma by the same author are reaaaallly good just slice of life historical.

message 10: by Keiji (new)

Keiji | 3 comments I suggest Danmachi By Fujino Omori

message 11: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 255 comments Keiji wrote: "I suggest Danmachi By Fujino Omori"

DanMachi is another name for Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Manga, Vol. 1 just in case anyone did not know. It also has a light novel which is further along then the manga at this point from what I understand.

Don't mind the name. It is a fun series. :)

message 12: by Damiendada (last edited Jun 01, 2019 09:01AM) (new)

Damiendada | 8 comments DanMachi is an honest-looking, cute, pretty well-drawn adventure manga with actionable and energetic action scenes, led by an innocent and passionate hero, accompanied by an almost exclusively female cast.

https://tweakbox.mobi/ https://tutuappx.com/

message 13: by Mina18 (new)

Mina18 | 3 comments I recommend REAL you get i incredibly involved in the story, it is a topic which is also not really covered. It is very easy to get emotionally attached to the characters and plot.

message 14: by Mina18 (new)

Mina18 | 3 comments It is a sports manga about wheelchair basket ball

message 15: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Waters (literaryarmy) I recommend Tokyo Ghoul by Sui Ishida and Bloody Mary by Akaza Samamiya

message 16: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Crane | 0 comments I Recommend Demon Slayer & My Hero Academia Season 4.

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna | 2 comments I’ve just finished reading Downfall. I absolutely loved it but I’m looking for something similar if anyone has any recommendations? I also love a one shot manga if you have a recommendation for those I would love to hear it!

message 18: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 255 comments Anna wrote: "I’ve just finished reading Downfall. I absolutely loved it but I’m looking for something similar if anyone has any recommendations? I also love a one shot manga if you have a recommendation for tho..."

First off I see you have Ayako on your to read list. It is a good choice if you want a manga about human natures.

Have you tried looking into The Flowers of Evil - Complete, Vol. 1 I hear it is a bit on the perverted side (like how a moment of burgled bloomers leads to blackmail) but seems to delve into questions like how much one will go to hide their secrets and how dark one can become as obsessions run wild. This is one of the books I plan to try someday. :)

Tohyo Game, Vol. 1: One Black Ballot to You is a dark series about where classmates must vote for the ones they want to live. Whatever supernatural force is pushing the game the way to vote in each stage becomes increasingly more difficult amping up hard choices and questionable human behavior just to survive.

I liked Yoshiki Tonogai's series Doubt, Vol. 1 and by the look of Secrets it seems he has a way about questioning the choices people might make when backed into corners.

No Longer Human came out in English toward the end of 2019 and is based on a (from what I understand) popular novel in Japan about a man who hides his pains behind a forced mask of sorts he tries to shirk the responsibilities of his actions in his life.

I hope you enjoy these if you get a chance to try them.

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna | 2 comments @Doc I’m a noob at this app so unfortunately don’t know how to reply or quote your comment but thank you so much for the recommendations and the extra information you’ve added too! I may be adding them to my shopping list as we speak! Thank you so very much!

message 20: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (crystal_dark) | 270 comments Anna wrote: "I’ve just finished reading Downfall. I absolutely loved it but I’m looking for something similar if anyone has any recommendations? I also love a one shot manga if you have a recommendation for tho..."

I haven't read Downfall but based on what Doc said and if you are looking for slightly more serious manga with a possible psychological side to them then you might want to check out:
Not Your Idol, Vol. 1 by Aoi Makino Not Your Idol, Vol. 1: An idol was attacked by a "fan" before the series and as a result she retires and has become less trusting around men and is now hiding her feminine side. I have only read the first volume but enjoyed it. It is a drama, mystery that just started being released by VIZ Media.
Love Me, Love Me Not, Vol. 1 by Io Sakisaka Love Me, Love Me Not, Vol. 1: Not as serious but explores how different people approach love and relationships.
Arisa, Vol. 01 (Arisa, #1) by Natsumi Andō Arisa, Vol. 01: I haven't read this series in awhile but I remember finding it interesting.

message 21: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Lidgard | 4 comments I have been reading My Hero Academia and am up to Volume 5. I know that is not too far but I am really enjoying it. So now I am looking for something new to read. I am looking at Berserk, One Punch Man, One Piece, and many others. I really enjoy simple fun stories and perhaps some horror and fantasy. Anything people can suggest is welcome.

message 22: by Andy (new)

Andy Neal | 1 comments I am reading a manwha atm it is called versatile mage and I like it so far

message 23: by Juuso (new)

Juuso | 46 comments Could someone recommend me an shoune ai/bl manga (PHYSICAL) that I (a teen) could read?

message 24: by Avensis (new)

Avensis David | 16 comments I just started reading My Hero Academia, and at the moment I find it cool

message 25: by Jean (new)

Jean Smith | 1 comments Hello ! I have a TeenInk Book/Creative Writing club and a couple of my 11th grade students really like the series Monster Manga by Naoli Urasawa, and generally likes manga along the lines of realistic narrative, drama or realistic mystery such as Manga Monster. .Any ideas how I can source a list of manga series / books that loosely follow this niche ?

message 26: by Doc (last edited Apr 17, 2021 12:59AM) (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 255 comments Jean wrote: "Hello ! I have a TeenInk Book/Creative Writing club and a couple of my 11th grade students really like the series Monster Manga by Naoli Urasawa, and generally likes manga along the lines of realis..."

Hi Jean,
Monster is indeed one of the classics of manga literature thanks mostly to the writing style of its mangaka Naoki Urasawa but also the semi realistic art style which really brings the characters to life as they deal with what defines a Monster in each of them.

For another great series you need look no further than the same amazing man who also created 20th Century Boys which is a story about childhood friends who one day create a pretend scenario where they band together to fight off against an evil villain. Unexpectedly to those involved though it turns out someone from their past took play time a little to seriously and is now taking the role of bad guy so the "heroes" now all grown up, have to desperately try to struggle against their past before the future is ruined. I'll save all the juicy details on how playtime can turn into a plot to gain control of the world through manipulation, terror, and friendship but I can tell you it can be a pretty scary book showing how society can do some pretty terrible things all in the name of a charismatic leader.

Of course there is a little bit of unbelievability with at least one person being able to see into the future and another one having at least some telekinesis (or so I have seen so far) but the underlying tones of the rebellious few having to hide from society as those manipulating that same society into thinking the people trying to save them are responsible for all the terror is still a great read.

message 27: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 255 comments Jean wrote: "Hello ! I have a TeenInk Book/Creative Writing club and a couple of my 11th grade students really like the series Monster Manga by Naoli Urasawa, and generally likes manga along the lines of realis..."

On another note have you ever considered any of the Manga Classics? There have been adaptations of classic stories from various companies in the past although the stories in question often get cut to fit inside a much smaller book I find they often inspire (at least me) to occasionally seek out the original tale to see what more there is to it (though honestly most of the time I end up doing audio for the originals.). :)

Here is the one I remember best. which are hopefully (mostly) still in print. https://www.mangaclassics.com/