Discourse in a Digital Age discussion

next book

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vera (new)

Vera Emmons | 21 comments Hi gang,
I'm sorry I missed the last discussion. What's our next book? Will we meet at Vino Gallery at 6 again? Thanks

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne | 135 comments Mod
Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan is our April book. We’re going back to the library but will start at 630pm. Kenny is working on assigning months to the rest of the books so he’ll send that and post here.

message 3: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments For those of you who missed the March discuss'n, I'm echoing Donna's comment thanking Anne for a great job organizing us Discoursers for the year ahead! With the two laptops she provided, we had Kenny there participating via Skype and a way to look up various titles being proposed for the coming list. Plus she'd created a spreadsheet of suggestions, showing how many copies of each bk are available in local libraries. Yay, Anne!
Please, those who've had to miss recent mtgs, be there for Apr 11 back at Schlafly Lib, 6:30 pm -- you're missed!

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne | 135 comments Mod
Y’all are making me blush. I love doing stuff liken this so thanks for letting me. I can do the two laptop thing going forward—the Kenny’s face laptop and the laptop we look stuff up on just like when Kenny was here. See everyone in a few weeks!

Kenny—I slotted things I’m on the google doc so check it out and move things around as you’d like. There are a couple times where we have five weeks in between meetings so I put longer books in those.

message 5: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Hardcastle | 166 comments Mod
Thanks Anne, for keeping it going, and for allowing me to still participate. And thanks for slotting the dates. The initial glance looks great - give me some time to juggle things a bit before we publish it here.

message 6: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments I am #19 in line for the April book. I don't think I will get it in time to read for the book club.

message 7: by Anne (new)

Anne | 135 comments Mod
The audiobook is available and it looks like there’s one at Central Express downtown and one at Marketplace on Manchester. My ebook checkout expires in 6 hours and I haven’t started yet.

Have others gotten a copy?

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne | 135 comments Mod
Oh it’s the CD that’s available at Carpenter. Not as helpful.

message 9: by Kenneth (new)

I checked out the ebook (from your library, unfortunately for your availability) and I should be on track to finish and return it over the weekend. I saw the hold list in trying to acquire it and thought "whoops, we didn't think that through."

Do we want to emergency audible to a (shorter) book that may be easier to acquire? Or maybe a book that a lot of us have already read? Since there's only 12 days until the next meeting, a course correction is not great, but it's an option.

We could also bookmark some time for discussing Ready Player One, as the other thread mentions.

message 10: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Teresa, and anyone else who needs a copy of M. Beach -- I can get a couple from the County lib. -- shall I today?

message 11: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments And I'm already reading it, so no fair switching!

message 12: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley Parks | 19 comments Because I've already read it, I agree with Lucy, unless we can just switch it with whatever is planned for May because there are lots of copies of that. Is the title schedule available yet?

message 13: by Anne (new)

Anne | 135 comments Mod
I nabbed the Marketplace copy today so I’m good. Teresa, can you get the downtown one?

message 14: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Hammond | 27 comments I finished it last week and returned it to the library.

message 15: by Kenneth (new)

It sounds like we're mostly good to go on Manhattan Beach, so it doesn't sound like we need to switch the book or anything. There are options for those who don't have it yet. The May book (When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi) is a kit available from SLCL, so hopefully you can get that to hand out at the next meeting.

message 16: by Anne (new)

Anne | 135 comments Mod
I don’t have an SLCL card. I know I can get one but if someone else can get the kit and bring to the meeting...

message 17: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments When I looked it was taken. I have to take mom to the Dr. tomorrow so I won't be able to go till tues. Lucy, can you get the book and I can get it from you this week. I don't have a county library card.

message 18: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments I didn't want you all to change the book,

message 19: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Teresa. I will get the bk from SLCL, and the "When Breath Becomes..." kit, too if possible.

message 20: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Well, it appears the County's bk discuss'n kit for "When Breath..." is checked out 'til May 9, so that's no good. I'll call there tomorrow to see if there is any other option, or if they're ok with my using my card to check out multiple copies. How can we get these to everyone that needs one?

message 21: by Anne (new)

Anne | 135 comments Mod
There are 11 available through SLPL so hopefully that will remain the case. I don’t want to get it quite yet though.

message 22: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments Lucy let me know when you have it. I will come pick it up. Next time I think I will have to reserve it immediately, and not wait. Didn't know. Now I do. Learning pains.

message 23: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Ok, will do. Did we decide on a day (aft, eve) to go see "Ready, Player One"? If not this week, I'm going up to Mich Thurs Apr 13-16.

message 24: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments Lucy wrote: "Teresa, and anyone else who needs a copy of M. Beach -- I can get a couple from the County lib. -- shall I today?"

Lucy, I dropped off the book at Jefferson County Library. I took it inside there in Arnold. I did it today. Thought you should know. Thanks so much!

message 25: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Thanks, Teresa. Isn't the Arnold branch of Jeffco Lib pretty?