The Shape of Water The Shape of Water question

READ THE BOOK OR JUST WATCH THE MOVIE????
Jeff Jeff Mar 19, 2018 05:53PM
Alright, peeps, I need some advice. This isn't just about 'The Shape of Water,' because I know the story behind the making of both movie and book. I need opinions on whether I should read the following books before seeing the movie or just skip the book? I know... I know... Blasphemy. HOWEVER, let me point out a film version that was better than the book: The Hunger Games Trilogy!

THE SHAPE OF THE WATER (David Kraus & Guillermo del Toro)
CALL ME BY YOUR NAME (André Aciman)
READY PLAYER ONE (Ernest Cline)
A WRINKLE IN TIME (Madeleine L'Engle)
RED SPARROW (Jason Matthews)
SIMON VS. THE HOMOSAPIEN'S AGENDA (Becky Albertalli)
EVERY DAY (David Levithan)

Basically, let me know if you think the books are worth reading. They are all movies that I was interested in seeing; some of the books I already had or were on my list before the movies came to be. Anyway, let me know what you think! If you have any book suggestions that are being made into film that are worth reading, go ahead and add them!

THANKS!

Nah once u read the book u will realize that the movie actually kinda sucks and so much less interesting than the movie ngl

Hi Jeff, I've never been particularly bothered when I see a movie and then go back and read the book and find out there was so much more: the main reason is that with film, one can only film what can be seen. So you see the movie, then read the book and get closer to the heart of the story, whether the movie or the book is better. ON THE OTHER HAND, if I read a book and LOVED IT, the movie is probably going to miss the mark. Then again, if I read a book and didn't like it, I might enjoy the movie more! Point: it's always safe to see the movie first. I wish I had seen this film first, cause I just didn't like the book very much and might laugh during the film at all the wrong places.

Jeff Hey thanks Greg! I appreciate your answer. I'm actually almost done with The Shape of Water, but the one I'm really thinking about just skipping is Ca ...more
Apr 04, 2018 12:49PM · flag

I read The Shape of Water and loved it, then I went to see the film expecting it to be amazing but was a little let down. I mean, it was a great film, but I just loved the book so much it couldn't live up to it...

Ready Player One was the opposite. I really liked the book, but then say the film and thought it was absolutely amazing, although they are quite different regarding the story line.

definitely read the book first !!!!

I just saw the film and finished the novel version of The Shape of Water and I think you need to see the film and read the book if you're interested in the story.

Jeff Oh, I'm totally interested in the story. Plus, Pan's Labyrinth happens to be my favorite movie. I even like Crimson Peak. Let's just say that I'm a HU ...more
Apr 04, 2018 12:51PM · flag