Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Feeling Torn...

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fishface (last edited Mar 20, 2018 02:54PM) (new)

Fishface | 11828 comments OK, I was horrified to realize that the shelves labelled "Basis of a Movie" and "Basis of a Novel" have been languishing unattended. I'm trying to fill them up better but A) I have a less than encyclopedic knowledge of this area and B) I have been forced more than once already to violate my rigid standards of precision because there are, for instance, movies like BADLANDS that are based on the case but not clearly on one book. I'm resorting to adding the oldest book I can find on the case to that shelf because whoever made the movie probably drew on it to some extent.

Example: the movie HELTER SKELTER is 100% based on Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders, but think of all the books and movies based on Jack the Ripper, many of which are not based on one clearly-identified book. And of course the novelist may have written a particular book based on a movie about Jacky-boy, or it might be the novelized musical for that matter. Or what about a collection of poems about Lizzie Borden with all different authors?

This is what I'm thinking about while the rest of you are out living your lives.

And then there are the missing books. I am morally certain that ADAM, the TV movie about Adam Walsh, was based on a book of the same name. I even held a copy of it once. But it appears to have fallen off the map. And the only books I can find about him postdate the movie by at least a decade, so I'm not about to put any of those on that shelf.

And we have a book or two about Alferd Packer, but there is no Basis of a Musical shelf to put those on. And maybe there should be. There are musicals based on Pearl Bryan and Harriet Staunton, SO MAYBE THERE SHOULD BE.

*sob*

message 2: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11828 comments And what the funk do I do about cases with ONLY novels or poems or musicals and no non-fiction titles about them? What do I do then????

message 3: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3345 comments Mod

message 4: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1264 comments You calls 'em like you sees 'em. I think if anything, no matter the format, is based off a book, it qualifies. Though there might be a line somewhere.

So, years & years ago (1832), a skeleton in armor was found in a forest (Falls River, Mass, near the Unitarian Church) with arrows in/around it. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (a Unitarian of that fellowship) then wrote a poem, which I used to recite as a child, called 'The Skeleton in Armor', in which he imagined the life of the knight in question. A poem based on a true crime case? Where does that go!?

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem...

message 5: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11828 comments I had a shelf called "Rendered In Rhyme," but I guess nobody liked that because they kept starting their own shelves of TC poetry. So I collapsed all of it into "true crime poetry." The shelf is right there for you to add to!

message 6: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1264 comments

message 7: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 546 comments Fishface, the true crime poetry shelf sounds inviting. Though I'm very finicky about the poetry I read, I might just look for it.

message 8: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11828 comments I am similarly finicky. But just knowing it's out there is cool!

message 9: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11828 comments Here's another example. A novel based on the murders of Lulu and Leo Krim, Chanson douce, has taken France by storm, won the Prix Goncourt, and has been translated into 18 other languages already. But is there a nonfiction treatment of the case? No, there is not.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.