NZ Intermediate School Librarians discussion

Books for Yr7/8 students (2018) > The Light Jar by Lisa Thompson

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zac (new)

Zac (zackids) | 18 comments The Light Jar is the latest book from Lisa Thompson, author of The Goldfish Boy (which I know many of you enjoyed as much as me).

Oh. My. Gosh! Lisa Thompson had my heart in her hand the whole way through her amazing book! The Light Jar is everything I hoped it would be and more. Her debut novel, The Goldfish Boy is one of my absolute favourite books and The Light Jar was just as brilliant.

The Light Jar follows Nate as he is whisked from his home by his Mum in the middle of the night and taken to a run down cottage in the middle of nowhere. Nate knows why they have come here and we learn the reasons for their escape as the story progresses. After a night in this strange cottage Nate’s mum disappears and he has no idea why she has gone. As time passes his mum still doesn’t return and he starts to worry about what has happened to her. With the help of a boy Nate once knew and an odd little girl Nate fends for himself and helps to uncover a lost treasure.

The Light Jar is a mystery story with a whole lot of heart. You’re trying to figure out what has happened to Nate’s Mum and trying to solve the clues for the treasure hunt. You’re also trying to work out where different characters fit into the story.

The thing I love the most about Lisa’s stories is the depth to her characters and the way she makes you feel totally invested in their lives. Nate’s mother has a new partner and he is emotionally abusive. You see how this impacts on Nate and his Mum and you just want to help them.

If you haven’t already read The Goldfish Boy or The Light Jar you need to put these at the top of your TBR pile.

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeboniface) | 123 comments Another one to add to my "To Buy" list Zac! My budget has already had quite a battering - and it's only March! And I've just brought home the latest Magpies - so I will end up adding another 10 titles to my list after that. Sigh. #toomanygoodbooks

message 3: by Zac (new)

Zac (zackids) | 18 comments I’m the same Jane! There are too many good books and not enough budget to buy them all.